Block or evade

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is your statigy on blocking and evading, which do you feel is better and why?

What would be the best way topractice one versus the other?

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would also place evading first, but I'm and aikidoka. We do alot of drills concentrating on body movement, pivoting and stepping offline to avoid the attack. Blocking skills are just as important for those times that you can't evade or are too slow or too fast, either of which will put you in a in line with the attack.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
waht type of evading drills do you do to train yourself for this type of manuevers
We call it stepping off the line of attack by the way. There are three methods that come to mind: Moving up the circle, shortening the circle, and launching back.
Moving up the circle is done by moving your back foot from 6:00 to what ever time you choose
shortening the circle still requires a time change, but you bring your feet together and twist your body away from the line of attack
launching back just mean you avoid the kill zone like the plague.

you can work these as one step Ideas, or light sparring, to every day games you play.
sean

G

Gary Crawford

let me tell ya'll what a guy I have watched sparr and win against guys were more expeienced and faster for years says. FOOTWORK!!! evasive footwork is key. Evasive footwork will put you where you need to be to initiate the attack.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to say, coming from a Kung Fu background in open-hand MA's, that blocking and evading are part and parcel of the same thing for me.

Altho', there is of course that perennial old chestnut about whether when we say 'block' we mean 'BLOCK!' or deflection? I suspect given the membership around here we all mean deflection.

I have to confess that I have BLOCKED a spinning hook kick ... once ... with both forearms crossed ... and became airborne millseconds later {landing on a table-tennis table quite a few feet behind me :lol:}.

As ever, it's a matter of timing. You evade at the last possible moment you can and put a deflecting manoever in there for good measure, just in case s/he is faster than you (or better at reading what you had planned than you thought :D).

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to say, coming from a Kung Fu background in open-hand MA's, that blocking and evading are part and parcel of the same thing for me.

Altho', there is of course that perennial old chestnut about whether when we say 'block' we mean 'BLOCK!' or deflection? I suspect given the membership around here we all mean deflection.

I have to confess that I have BLOCKED a spinning hook kick ... once ... with both forearms crossed ... and became airborne millseconds later {landing on a table-tennis table quite a few feet behind me :lol:}.

As ever, it's a matter of timing. You evade at the last possible moment you can and put a deflecting manoever in there for good measure, just in case s/he is faster than you (or better at reading what you had planned than you thought :D).
I agree that they go toguether, or amplify eachother.
Sean

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm with you on this one. We apply a series of principles based on the characteristics ascribed to the Chinese elements to our evasion and blocking.

Water flows around, so the movement is total evasion.
Wood is flexible, so it moves with the attack and flexes back.
Earth is immobile, so it blocks and keeps attacks away from the body.
Fire clings, so it deflects but maintain contact with the attack.
Metal cuts, so it deflects and attacks at the same time.

I find these principles work quite well form formulating an effective defence.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I think we are thinking the same thing here! The footwork is the most important factor, but if you don't get out of the way fast enough, then the block is there to deflect the attack.
As far as all out blocking, I like to move in on the attack so that I can block before the incoming strike has gained it's momentum and thus full power. For instance, instead of waiting to block a roundhouse below the knee, I would want to move in and block it above the knee before it has gained full power (plus there are nice little pressure points that are good to hit too!)

Latest Discussions