Blind painter - paints by touch!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This was amazing stuff. A young Texas man who lost his sight as complications from epiliepsy developed a way to paint by touch.

[yt]8P84bfFpVWE[/yt]

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Absolutely amazing. Reminds me of Joni Erickson-Tada. A woman who was paralyzed from the neck down after a diving accident as a teen, who paints incredible pictures by holding the brush in her mouth. It's incredible what people can do and the odds they overcome. Thanks for sharing this Carol.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
What an attitude for such a young man! I think his phrase about why not start painting because if they stunk he didn't have to look at them anyway, said with a chuckle, says a lot about him. I know I wouldn't have that bright of an outlook under those same circumstances. He is also a much better painter than I could ever hope to be.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I couldn't hear what was said on that clip. Does he have a bit of vision (perhaps only able to see some color, for example?) or is he totally blind?

- Ceicei

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I couldn't hear what was said on that clip. Does he have a bit of vision (perhaps only able to see some color, for example?) or is he totally blind?

- Ceicei

He is totally blind from epilepsy Ceicei, He goes off the feel/texture/thickness of the paint on his fingertips. He says that the white is thick like toothpaste, black is runny kind of like oil, and if he wants a grey that is in-between, he mixes the two until he feels he has the perfect mixture.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He is totally blind from epilepsy Ceicei, He goes off the feel/texture/thickness of the paint on his fingertips. He says that the white is thick like toothpaste, black is runny kind of like oil, and if he wants a grey that is in-between, he mixes the two until he feels he has the perfect mixture.

So what does other colors feel like? (intrigued)

- Ceicei

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That is a good question CeiCie. I guess once you get your "senses" all in a-line, then you can have someone tell you the color and you feel that distinct thickness you can finally just touch and tell right away. It is very amazing how well he does it, especially when the paint dries in a certain area and how do you know which section to go to next? Still very cool tho!!