3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is one example,

The equations of general relativity have an interesting mathematical property: they are symmetric in time. That means that you can take any solution to the equations and imagine that time flows backwards rather than forwards, and you'll get another valid solution to the equations. If you apply this rule to the solution that describes black holes, you get an object known as a white hole. Since a black hole is a region of space from which nothing can escape, the time-reversed version of a black hole is a region of space into which nothing can fall. In fact, just as a black hole can only suck things in, a white hole can only spit things out.

White holes are a perfectly valid mathematical solution to the equations of general relativity, but that doesn't mean that they actually exist in nature. In fact, they almost certainly do not exist, since there's no way to produce one. (Producing a white hole is just as impossible as destroying a black hole, since the two processes are time-reversals of each other.)

Yin and yang, a black hole can only suck things in, a white hole can only spit things out.
Soft and hard combined in space creating the ultimate power in all the universe, the black hole. or something, ok now I just confused myself lol.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Yin and yang, a black hole can only suck things in, a white hole can only spit things out.
DeLamar.J said:
Soft and hard combined in space creating the ultimate power in all the universe, the black hole. or something, ok now I just confused myself lol.
Space and time is thought provoking. LOL I don't think you are crazy for being interested in it! I've never heard of the idea of a white hole, but it's more comforting to think of black holes sucking everything up in concert with the existence of white holes spitting it all back out. I see the :yinyang:Yin Yang symbol as the balance of nature, the seed of darkness in light and the seed of light in darkness. It's interesting how you equate the Yin Yang symbol to the possibility of black and white holes in the universe. :asian:

E

emortis9

DeLamar.J said:
Here is one example,

The equations of general relativity have an interesting mathematical property: they are symmetric in time. That means that you can take any solution to the equations and imagine that time flows backwards rather than forwards, and you'll get another valid solution to the equations. If you apply this rule to the solution that describes black holes, you get an object known as a white hole. Since a black hole is a region of space from which nothing can escape, the time-reversed version of a black hole is a region of space into which nothing can fall. In fact, just as a black hole can only suck things in, a white hole can only spit things out.

White holes are a perfectly valid mathematical solution to the equations of general relativity, but that doesn't mean that they actually exist in nature. In fact, they almost certainly do not exist, since there's no way to produce one. (Producing a white hole is just as impossible as destroying a black hole, since the two processes are time-reversals of each other.)

What about non-linear equations? Chaos changes everything. But I like your thinking.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i share the same passion/addiction...i'm not even going to click on those links...because i'll be there for hours and i need to shower and get busy on homework.....

alright...i just clicked on them...but only to bookmark....

only to bookmark....only to....

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool - I'll have to go read.

I like thinking new, sometimes conceptually difficult things. :)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bignick said:
i share the same passion/addiction...i'm not even going to click on those links...because i'll be there for hours and i need to shower and get busy on homework.....

alright...i just clicked on them...but only to bookmark....

only to bookmark....only to....

Somebody save Bignick!!!! He's disappeared in a black hole!!!!:yinyang:

"Bignick? (echoing....) Can you find a white hole?"

- Ceicei

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nope...but it was a close one...luckily...once i was in the black hole the laws of time and space no longer applied....so i just went back in time before i got sucked in...simple enough...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Whew! That's a relief! You'll have to tell me more about time travel....

- Ceicei

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
eh.....

it was alright..the in flight movie sucked...but there was plenty of overhead storage

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bignick said:
eh.....

it was alright..the in flight movie sucked...but there was plenty of overhead storage
Did you have the barf bag handy?? :barf:

- Ceicei

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Here is one example,

The equations of general relativity have an interesting mathematical property: they are symmetric in time. That means that you can take any solution to the equations and imagine that time flows backwards rather than forwards, and you'll get another valid solution to the equations.
Yes,
DeLamar.J said:
If you apply this rule to the solution that describes black holes, you get an object known as a white hole. Since a black hole is a region of space from which nothing can escape, the time-reversed version of a black hole is a region of space into which nothing can fall. In fact, just as a black hole can only suck things in, a white hole can only spit things out.
This only stands to reason, given the math,
DeLamar.J said:
White holes are a perfectly valid mathematical solution to the equations of general relativity, but that doesn't mean that they actually exist in nature. In fact, they almost certainly do not exist, since there's no way to produce one.
James, this is good, but follow it, your on the right track.

take any solution to the equations and imagine that time flows backwards rather than forwards, and you'll get another valid solution to the equations
So do that - look back in time, and reverse the process. What is there? Big Bang. The universe is infinite, yet we know the beginning and the end. The Big Bang and the black hole are different manifestations of the same thing. Where one ends, the other begins.

Where gravity is, space-time bends. As gravity approaches infinity, how does this affect the bending?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
also...as your velocity increases, time (relatively) slows down...this is a proven fact...

so the faster you go...the slower time gets...so at a certain point...as you continue to increase your speed, time will eventually stop (for theory's sake)...so...

let's say that the magic number is the speed of light...once you get there...time stops....so if you can hit the speed of light (yes, physically impossible...but theoretically)....you can travel anywhere...instantly...

because time has stopped...to you, it takes you absolutely no time to get where you're going but to everyone else...it took however long it normally would for light to go from point A to point B....

aha...but one step further...if you travel instantaneously...how do you stop...you instantly arrive at your destination...but we aren't talking about teleportation...you are traveling linearly through space...so you are still going the speed of light when you get to your destination...so you are still moving....so in the exact same instant you arrive at your destination, you are already past it...going nowhere, FAST...forever...until you hit something....

or run out of gas because someone forgot to fill up at the station before they left...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
also..energy and mass...the same thing...which is what E=mc^2 says...

basically...if you want to see how much energy you are made out of...just enter your mass, in kilograms...and multiply it by the speed of light squared....

c=299,792,458 meters/second

do the math...and then think twice before you say, "i'm so tired, I don't have any energy."

p.s....one ton of TNT is 4,184,000,000 joules, the hiroshima bomb was equivalent to 15,000 tons of TNT...

if i did the math right...i come in at about 13,889,852,762,296,272,618 joules

or about 3,319,754,484 tons of TNT...
again...that's roughly a 3300 megaton bomb....

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, here is some taoism. Some of this reminds me of the black hole. Its almost like they knew it was out there, felt its surpreme power, but did not know what is was.

Look, it cannot be seen - it is beyond form.
Listen, it cannot be heard - it is beyond sound.
Grasp, it cannot be held - it is intangible.
These three are indefinable, they are one.
From above it is not bright;
From below it is not dark:
Unbroken thread beyond description.
It returns to nothingness.
Form of the formless,
Image of the imageless,
It is called indefinable and beyond imagination.

Stand before it - there is no beginning.
Follow it and there is no end.
Stay with the Tao, Move with the present.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:

What you describe as a "white hole" sounds an awful lot like a singularity such as the Big Bang.

Black holes are now believed to be more important than ever to the construct of the universe as we know it. Research indicates that the middle of most spiral galaxies contain massive black holes at their centers that constantly absorb more matter from the surrounding stellar material. As a side effect, they're the glue that holds the galaxies together.

Just about everything we do or study is a microcosm of the wider universe. Great stuff.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To further expand on James notion of white holes, and psi radar's indication of the similarities between that and the BB singularity, let us not forget about the concept of time.

The BB was, essentially the beginning of time. The flow of time varies relatively with the quantity of gravity under which it is observed.

Space and time are intertwined, and inseperable - "space-time".

Space time is a manifestation of the separation of matter.

A black hole is the coming together of matter at approximately infinite density - Therefore, time does not exost within - it is the end of time.

How far of a stretch would it be to assert that the moment before the BB singularity, the moment after assimilation into the black hole, are both undefinable in terms of time, therefore outside of space-time. By both occupying the "spot" outside of spacetime, does it not resolve the "infinite" paradox by defining them both (BB singularity & Black hole) as different aspects of the same thing? Opposite sides of the same coin?

Latest Discussions