Black History Month is Ridiculous?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
"You can't give me a ticket, officer, other people were speeding too!"
NO, but your great-grandfather was speeding in 1944, here's your ticket.

arnisador said:
Uncle Sam is still here. Don't we still have a United States of America? Did I miss the revolution?
You've failed to show how the

arnisador said:
The most obvious thing that comes to mind is the 3/5 compromise. Surely, that legalized slavery (or at least left it to the individual states to regulate it).
It didn't legalize slavery, it was an attempt to prevent the destruction of the union.

arnisador said:
Are we too proud to apologize?
Apologize for what?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
mantis said:
what i can see so far is
- americans are very unapologetic and too arrogant to admit their mistakes. they even refuse to do anything to show "good faith" to start a new clean history
You're pretty arrogant to say that they were MY mistakes.

mantis said:
- the american society will never see an end to racism
Racism is a species wide problem, not an 'American' problem.

mantis said:
- diversity, what americans claim to be a strength, is actually a weakness. different communities are ready to burst and eat the others when they have a chance!correct me if im wrong (goal is not offending americans but that's what i sensed so far)
[/quote] Diversity, in itself, is NOT a strength. That is a myth. Diversity of ideas can be beneficial, but ONLY in the framework of unity. Without unity, diversity just leads to conflict.

What offends me is that I owe an apology for what some bodies great great great great grand father MAY have done. What's more, the south was already punished and destroyed. It seems a bit of double jeapordy to ask for an apology AGAIN.

It's like a wife, still mad about something that happened in 1983, who every once in a while wants ANOTHER pound of flesh. I'd have divorced her long before now.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Legally, though, it is.

Would you let a company slip through this type of legal loophole? Change a name and cite the length of time and board turnover as a means of avoiding liability for the company's actions?
If the company were the same in name only, YES.

More to the point, if you inhereted a house from your great great great grandfather, how would you feel about a law suit based on the idea that, since your house CAME from your great great great grandfather, you still represent him?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, fine, it is Christmas, so here goes.....

I, sgtmac, hereby apologize for any actions of mine, that directly contributed to or directly supported, the Atlantic Slave trade AND Slavery in the Americas.

I hope this apology can bring some closure, and allow us ALL to move ON in to the 21st century. :asian:

p.s. I also apologize for the Egyptian slavery of the Jews, the black death, the Crusades, the extinction of the dinosaurs AND the dodo, and any other historical action that I may have supported, contributed to, profited from or even heard about....thank you.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
NO, but your great-grandfather was speeding in 1944, here's your ticket.

You've failed to show how the

It didn't legalize slavery, it was an attempt to prevent the destruction of the union.

Apologize for what?
apologize for enslaving an entire race that you brought to this country
and your refusal to treat them equally when they managed to get 'some' freedom.
i know we're going in a loop. but i think it's a valid issue. at least do something for those minorities that cover u butts in wars dude!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:

But, neither I nor my ancestors did.

Again, doesn't apply to me.

i know we're going in a loop. but i think it's a valid issue. at least do something for those minorities that cover u butts in wars dude!

What should we do, that isn't already being done?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
But, neither I nor my ancestors did.

Again, doesn't apply to me.

What should we do, that isn't already being done?
man
why are u so like literal
im not asking bob hubbard to apologize specifically!
okay, we're going in an endless loop
i already know it's going anywhere, so no point of further discussion about it
haha
i give up man, i give up!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
mantis said:
This is what apologies lead to. As black Americans are americans too, does that mean they need to apologize to themselves?

Can I assume that when we mean 'The US should apologize' we are referring to 'whitie'? As the government is made up of representatives of the people, and you obviously don't mean black people should apologize to themselves, that must only mean that it's white people that need to apologize.

So when we're done apologizing to african americans, are we going to apologize to native americans? Then irish americans, for the treatment of Irish immigrants during the 1800's? Then who are we going to apologize to? Oh, I know, how about we start prosecuting the descendents of slave owners and traders for crimes against humanity! A kind of a 'Sins of the father' kind of thing.

This whole apology, 20 acres and mule non-sense started in the 1960's when black militant nationalists, like the Nation of Islam, wanted the US government to grant them a section of the United States that would simply be black only. As such, it is a divisive concept, in a time when we really want to move beyond the past, in to a mutually beneficial future. Martin Luther King Jr. understood that then, and we should understand it now.

It's why the Nation of Islam didn't like Dr. King, and those working to peacefully bring America together, because he wanted black America to become a part of American society, to be accepted and treated as equals, while the Nation of Islam and other black militant nationalists wanted a pound of flesh, and were operating out of anger and a desire to exact some sort of reckoning.

I recommend we get over it, and move on to the 21st century. Get over it.

Moreover, it's the victim mentality that is holding many in America back. It's become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Adversity doesn't break everyone, in fact, adversity makes some people stronger.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
man
why are u so like literal

Then who? The goverment...the goverment of the people of the United States?

How about those that moved here after slavery? How about the people that were brought here as slaves, it is not their goverment too?

In my case, my family has always lived in free states and my great grandfather specifically joined the Illinois National Guard to fight slavery. He was a bit of a religous nut from what I hear and thought of the slaves in the south as if they were the Jews under Egypt. I am sure that my family has done some bad things in it's history, but how much responsibilty does it have for slavery?

Now some will say that the contributions of the slaves helped make this country stronger and thus made all of us better as a result. Thus, we benifited from their slavery and should apologize to their ancestors. But, aren't their ancestors also benifiting from a stronger United States?

In Japan, there are still a lot of people saying that Japan did nothing wrong during WWII. That is one reason why so many Asian countries is calling for the goverment to apologize to acknowledge that they indeed did do something wrong and that is the national policy. But who in America is going to say that slavery was not a bad thing? We know that slavery is wrong, and we know that people were harmed by it. We regret it, but we can only look on the past and learn from other mistakes. To try to place blame for something we had no part in and that we acknowledge was a bad thing is like trying to get you to apologize for something your grandparent did.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
mantis said:
please go back and read previous posts
I think he's probably read those posts, but I think he wants you to clarify a few points about those posts.

In other news, a movement has begun requesting that Rome apologize to the people of Carthage.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
I think he's probably read those posts, but I think he wants you to clarify a few points about those posts.

In other news, a movement has begun requesting that Rome apologize to the people of Carthage.
well my thought was that the entire society should do something to show good faith.
but now i know it's not gonna happen. too difficult for some reason!
and you guys will keep saying "i didnt do it why should i apologize" and keep this endless loop forever.
i see no point in this discussion any longer and therefore i must shut up to save us all time!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
mantis said:
well my thought was that the entire society should do something to show good faith.
but now i know it's not gonna happen. too difficult for some reason!
and you guys will keep saying "i didnt do it why should i apologize" and keep this endless loop forever.
i see no point in this discussion any longer and therefore i must shut up to save us all time!
Well, do whatever feels right.

Nobody has yet shown me how an apology would do anything but act as a further crutch, and serve as justification for more excuses....or is this just another veilled money grab scheme?

'If you're sorry, and you acknowledge you are responsible, then you should make compensation'....yeah, right....hold your breath. :rofl:

This just in...the Hittites are calling on Egypt to apologize for the attempted invasion by Ramses II in 1275 bc. (i'm sorry, 'bce')

This just in, a demand has been made that Athens apologize on behalf of it's behavior toward the Melians, during the Peloponessian war.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
No. Legally it's not.

It's not the same nation today, as it was in 1783.

Timeline:
*Articles of Confederation adopted 1777 - The Articles created a loose confederation of sovereign states and a weak central government, leaving most of the power with the state governments.
*Full ratification by 13 states occured 1781
*Constitutional Convention held 1787
*US Constitution replaces AOC 1789

In order to adopt the US Constitution, the states had to leave the Confederation. This in effect created a new entity and disolved the old one.

Therefore, the Current United States is not the same legal entity as the one the existed at the end of the War for Independance. :)

Source: http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/ourdocs/articles.html

No sale. The U.S. govt. is the same today as it was in 1789. The Civil War was viewed in one way by the Confederacy--but the view of the victorious U.S. govt. is that it was a rebellion. Rebellions that fail have no legal effect. If I declare myself the U.S. of Arnisador, the U.S. govt. doesn't change because of it. The current govt. is indeed the same legal entity that has existed at least since George Washington took office.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
okay
let me ask this then
what do you think should be done regarding segregated communities?
ie indians, blacks, asians, and hispanics?
or a better question is do you think it is necessary to get rid of racism or not, and if yes then how, and if not then why?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:

Agreed. It's the U.S. govt. that is at issue here. Not even George Bush need apologize for himself--just on behalf of the govt.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
not even that man
apology doesnt teach black kids
doesnt give them bread
doesnt remove liquor stores planted at every corner
doesnt clean their neighborhoods
doesnt get their young jobs
some action does
some plan may do that as well, right?
fine, dont apologize, but remember in a decade or 2 whites are becoming the minority.. it's gonna get scary for the white man! lol

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
but then what's this mentality
an ex-gangster is jailed for 20+ years
and then punished again by being executed
and that's considered fair

but apologizing for years of slavery: I DIDNT DO IT!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
mantis said:
not even that man
apology doesnt teach black kids
doesnt give them bread
doesnt remove liquor stores planted at every corner
doesnt clean their neighborhoods
doesnt get their young jobs
some action does
some plan may do that as well, right?
fine, dont apologize, but remember in a decade or 2 whites are becoming the minority.. it's gonna get scary for the white man! lol
No, only the black man can do that...the sooner he realizes it the better off he will be. Excuses only prolong his plight.

And the threat that I will be the minority doesn't scare me in the least. My ancestors came to this country as a minority, and they fought and worked for everything they ever had. That won't stop because i'm suddenly on the minority list.

If you think that insinuating that i'm white, so i'm going to suffer some consequences unless I apologize, so I better apologize, you are living in a fantasy world.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
how can they do that with no resources man?
come on, be a little realistic man
look at you, do you hear yourself "only black man"
as if "black man" isnt a part of america
u make them sound like they live in a different country!
that's what im talking about man
if this mentalityy is gone that would be the best apology dude

Latest Discussions