Black History Month is Ridiculous?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
My lifestyle? My great great-grandparents were Irish immigrants, and they certainly never owned a slave. I think it's time you stopped buying in to the leftist talking points of class warfare.

The idea that I owe ANYONE an apology for something that I didn't do is asinine. What's more, it'll be a cold day in hell before any one gets that apology from me. I'm willing to embrace anyone, regardless of race or ethnicity, as an equal. I'm willing to judge them by their actions, not by their skin color.

However, if an apology for something I didn't do is what is required for us to move on as a nation, then I guess conflict it will be. I will not be made to stand accountable for what somebody else did, and what's more, there is no one going to make me do it.

What it's darn sure time of, however, is for people to stop using the past as a crutch and an excuse for failures in the present.
Or we could admit that some of the present situations are directly attributable to clear past injustice your family chose to be US citizens at some point in the past and therefore became part of the US population. No one is asking you to personaly get on your knees, they are asking you to realize what it took to make America America. I have a freind whos Indian Tribe was only recognized about two years ago, and that was a long time comming. Your right though. No one can make you become part of the solution. That is a personal choice, and you have made it.
Sean

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is on this list of things that should be apologized for? What other races or nationalities should we put on the list? Where does it end? Im sure that everybody and anybody can come up with a wrong that was inflicted on their ancestors.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah. Based on TODs claim that we need to recognize we are where we are on the backs of others, I want a Damn apology that my family was forced to change their name, because being Irish we were oppressed and couldnt find work.

Every NON-Irish on this board can kiss my damn feet in apology.

Or we can just remember not to repeat the past and move on. YOUR CHOICE.

Make it wisely.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it is important to be respectful to the past, but sometimes it goes to far and it starts being about blame, and holding people today responsible for what happened in the past is insane.

We have issues here with 'you did such and such to my people 200 years ago'.....hell...I wasn’t alive 200 years ago, I respect the fact that your great great great great grandfather went through this, but it wasn’t 'my' fault, and I dont understand why you want me to apologise for it?

Loads of people have been repressed in history, at some stage we just have to move on. There is a fine line between remembering the past and letting it go so you can move forward together.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
There is a fine line between remembering the past and letting it go so you can move forward together.

My point exactly. You just said it much nicer than I did.

:D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know how we got on the "apology" issue again, but. Tell ya what...

To every former slave, I'm sorry.
Now, since there is no one alive in this country right now, who is a freed slave (as that happened over 140 years ago) to the descendants of those freed slaves (who took many of the opportunities suddenly thrust upon them and produced some of the finest people this country has ever know, including inventors, statesmen and at least 1 millionaire):
  • I'm sorry that despite being given your freedom 140+ years ago, along with the right to education and the right to vote, as well as special grants and government programs that only you due to your heritage can take advantage of, and at least 45+ years of civil rights efforts still somehow feel that the events of the past are what is "keeping you down."
  • I am sorry that recent immigrants who have only been here a decade are ahead of you in education, economic position and social status.
  • I am sorry that I am unable to give you free money because your great great grandmother was kidnapped from her homeland.
  • I am sorry that I was paying attention in school, or showed up for that matter while you were out being "cool" and burning your textbooks.
  • I'm sorry that I showed up for work and did what was required of me and got ahead while you called in sick because you wanted to sleep in and as it was the 12x time that month got fired over it. I know it was only because of your skin color.
  • I'm sorry that I take pride in my property and take the time to pick up the trash others throw on my lawn, and I apologize for the inequality of expecting you do the same.
  • and, I am sorry that you somehow feel that by expecting you to show up for, and pay attention in school, that by expecting you to show up for work on time, prepared and willing to actually do the job for which you were hired, and expecting you to be able to communicate in an understandable manner that you somehow believe is unfair and yet another attempt of "the man" to "keep you down".

There's my apology. Even though, my family never owned a slave, having arrived here from Poland in the 1880's.

Now, where's mine?
I want an apology for:
- All these bad tv shows that seem to cater to, and reinforce stereotypes on ignorance and inability to speak English properly.
- All these special programs that I as a "White Male" can't get into.
- That assault at a bus stop 15 years back.
- The assault outside of my high school when I wouldn't share my non-existent cancer sticks.
- These incredibly bad remakes of both classics and craptastics that seem to be a recent trend.
- This idea that you need an apology and a cash handout for events that did not directly effect you, not prevent you from doing something about your life on your own.

I honestly don't care what your skin tone is, just your education level and work ethic. I know doctors, lawyers, teachers, scientists, etc, all who happen to have a little pigment in their skin, all of whom busted their asses to get where they are. Others like Mr. Cosby and Mr. Freeman did the same thing, and are referred to as "Sell Outs" by others who share that same pigment. I think it's a pity. They are and should be seen as role models, positive influences that motivate you to work harder to do something with your life besides "hang out".

I'm sorry if my frank speech here is deemed racist by anyone. It is not. I say the same thing to any group that believes they are entitled to a handout for events that happened beyond their or their parents lifetimes. Learn to read, take the time to find out and use the "special programs, ectc" that you are eligible for, and take responsibility for your own destiny.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone considered that it might be a national apology, on behalf of the country (which was hear at the time of slavery)? As Japan has been asked to do over various WWI and WWII issues?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do they want it from the US government, the Dutch government or the English government? It was Dutch traders who brought the first slaves to these shores under the continued approval of the English King after all.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a lot of guilt to be spread around. African tribes often helped by selling captives from inter-tribal wars into slavery.

Did the U.S. government do anything wrong? If so, is it unreasonable to expect the head of govt. to apologize on behalf of the country? The country is a continuing entity.

I'm not a big fan of the apology for something this old, but the fact that those invloved are now dead is not a good argument. We're talking about the U.S. of A., and it's still here and still claiming to be the same nation as before. You don't have to apologize for something someone else did, but America may have a different sort of obligation.

Should the Japanese apologize for WWI and WWII atrocties?
Most of those who committed such crimes are dead, as are most (but not all) of the direct victims.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd forgotten about that, the fact that African tribes often fought wars just to gain captives to sell. Are they also required to make an official apology?

Also, are only white americans required to apologize, or are the decendants of black slave owners (there were a number of them) also required to participate in this "sorry-fest"?

What sort of apology should this be? Is it to be directed strictly at the african slave decendants, or will we also be including the native american slave decendants (who were a major part initially) as well as the white slave decendants?

Many points to ponder here.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as the U.S., it would be George Bush, head of govt., who would presumably make the apology on behalf of the govt. of the U.S. You wouldn't have to do anything at all.

I say again, if Japan can be expected to apologize for its crimes, why not the U.S.?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, can we get an apology from Aisa for all the White Slavery going on now, while we are at it?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eh...Asia isn't a country, or other legal entity.

Also, those are generally individual crimes, not government-sponsored activities.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think an International Day of Apology is in order. On the stated day, simply apologize to everyone you meet that is of a different race, creed, gender, orientation or political party than you. Once that's done, clean slate.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh. Ok.
While he's at it, can he apologize for a few other things?
- The near genocide committed against the Native Americans by American troops during the 1800's
- The illegal embargo of a sovereign nation during the War of Northern Aggression
- The support of despots like Sadamn when they served our purposes.
- The targeting, and forced imprisonment of Japanese Americans during WW2 which destroyed families and saw their property seized. (though that might have already been done)
- A repeat apology to the people of Hawaii for the illegal theft of their nation, and a return to nationhood for them (if a state wide vote indicates that is what is wanted)
- The gouging we are going through currently from the oil cartels that support so many of our politicians.
To name a few.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Mr. Hubbard. I think the Civil War was apology enough. We went to war against the slave states.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the expectation of an apology or any other "public" action is the very base of the problem we still have with racism and descrimination.

7sm

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
- The targeting, and forced imprisonment of Japanese Americans during WW2 which destroyed families and saw their property seized. (though that might have already been done)

Yeah, Ford did it.

How about we apologize to those that were born in the country because their ancestors were brought here as slaves, that they were not born in Seirra Leone, Liberia, Sudan or any other African nation you hear on the news lately. If anyone thinks they were harmed by being born here and wants money for it, lets instead compensate them by giving them a ticket back to where their ancestors probably came from.