Black Belt to be or not to be

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
What other sports specifically teaches moral values and "grows" the spirit?
There may be a few "jerks" that get to be black belt but in the most part it is the spiritual part that they can't hack and thus don't make it to black belt.
TW
In theory, all of them. Sportsmanship whould always be a part of any sport.

In reality, same as martial arts, it doesn't happen. I've been to point fighting competitions that have had as bad of display of sportsmanship as any other organized sport.

Also an interesting point, when organized sport was growing in western society it was primarily promoted based on the same virtues you are saying it doesn't have but martial arts does. Of course this was before Pro-sports got big, and pro-athletes were considered "sell-outs"...

Pro-sports are about entertainment, and trash talking, fighting, and poor sportsmanship sell tickets. That is the pro-athletes job, to sell tickets. It is a shame that so many amateur sports have tried to follow in that example, but that doesn't mean that sportsmanship can't be a part of sport.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
And there are a lot of people getting more then just physical excercise out of other sports as well, Martial arts is not special.
Agreed. I do know of individuals who do have a "spiritual journey" also when they are involved with other types of sports that require attention to detail. The martial arts cannot claim to be the exclusive activity with a spiritual component. It may be that those individuals in other sports do not discuss their journeys as much as we in the martial arts do with ours.

Of course, there are some martial arts that do have a genuine connection with the internal exploration--an emphasis on spiritual values. I am guessing it may seem more "obvious" to the general public about the martial arts' connection because of the reputation of "mysticism" or "special powers" perpetuated by movies and television shows.

- Ceicei

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Of course, there are some martial arts that do have a genuine connection with the internal exploration--an emphasis on spiritual values. I
Yes, in a sense. But not because of anything intrinsic to the art, but rather the attitudem interests and emphasis of those teaching it and training it.

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
And there are a lot of people getting more then just physical excercise out of other sports as well, Martial arts is not special.

Even though I somewhat agree with this, I do have to say that most martial arts classes speak about developing spiritually and specifically address character development (meditation in class, striving for spiritual goals, etc.). But that being said, you can attain spiritual development wherever you are looking for it. If you are looking for it in other sports, in can be found (see The Tao of the Jump Shot for an example). You could even get spiritual development out of eating breakfast or tying your shoes, if you wanted to.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CMack11 said:
If you are looking for it in other sports, in can be found (see The Tao of the Jump Shot for an example).
"Tao" - still trying to make it eastern ;)

There are a ton of books on coaching character through sport, just head to the Phys ed dept at your local university or public library....

Character develpoment through sport is not justa an eastern concept, it's been around in the west as long as organized sport has.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
"Tao" - still trying to make it eastern ;)

There are a ton of books on coaching character through sport, just head to the Phys ed dept at your local university or public library....

Character develpoment through sport is not justa an eastern concept, it's been around in the west as long as organized sport has.
Mr. Green MA is an Eastern culture that was brought over from there to here that Westernize for are enjoyment. And yes I was a high school teacher and Basketball coach for 10 years and yes we gave blessing before each competition, and we had spiritual asprct envolved as well. All said and said MA spiritual whether you believe in it or not does exsist in some areas not all teach this way anymore but some old timers like me we do, and my saying is do what makes you happy and vise versas... GOD BLESS AMERICA and may enlightment find you at your weakest moment and help guide you though your times of hardships. Not saying you are there just if it ever happens to you, I hope not...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are missing what I am saying.

It has nothing to do with martial arts, but the attitude of those doing it and teaching it. Giving a blessing before a competition I would consider a mistake, not everyone shares the same religious views.

Martial arts are not just eastern, every culture has them.

But if you consider the blessing the spiritual side of sports, then we are talking about completely different things here.

F

Fortis

Most of this thread has gone off topic.

However, training to me started the moment I walked in the door. It just gets more interesting to me the further I go so that I constantly feel like I'm only just beginning.

T

tsunami

Real training begins when you decide this is what you want to spend your precious free time doing and commit to fully applying yourself.

As for the side thread, I do remember my football coach talking about courage, pride, and to crush and damage the opponents. However, I do not recall him talking about the moral/legal implications of applying force to my opponents. The locker room did not have a code of conduct on the wall. I have seen very spiritual people with very little spirit and visa versa.

I think in martial arts there comes a time where you must think of the type of damage you train to inflict on people. Through training you gain the intestinal fortitude (spirit) to drive you fingers into eyes or to cave someones throat if it is warrented. Anytime you look inside yourself deeply it is spiritual (religion present or not). Other sports are usefull, on this I do not disagree. I find mountain biking is also benificial to my spirit. But martial arts causes me to reflect deeply on issues more often than other sports I've participated in by shear nature of the training.

George

T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

I know I'm not there yet but I think of it like going from grade school to junior high to high school. We are still learning but hopefully we mature too.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
We seem to be getting alot of thread about BlackBelts ages or Training so my question to all of you is simple, do you believe (real) training starts after BlackBelt or do you believe you now have all the skill you ned to handle yourself in any stituation..... I believe your journey has just begun all you have done to that point is Master the basics of your Pratrcular Style. Not knocking all the hard work you've put into your journey already but for me training really just beginning... GOD BLESS AMERICA
I have met plenty of black belts that cant fight for crap, 3rd and 4th degrees also. I have also seen green and purple bets who would whip most black belts.
You just never can tell.

S

SMP

getting a blackbelt signifies different things in different arts. For most I believe it signifies initial mastery of the core/basics of the art. Some also see it as the point where you are qualified to teach. Others see it as a recognition as a true martial artist etc etc ... For some the journey is ended here. For others this is the beginning. We all have different styles and different goals. Therefor we will all have different journeys. The way I look at it is that the rank of black belt is a destination within my journey. A marking point on the road. Some may never pass by this point. Some will take a different road all together.

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
My belief is that your training is on going, and it should start right from the beginning, and that there is no end.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
My belief is like that of many others. I believe that your training starts at black belt. The way I explain it sometimes is that through the kyu ranks we are giving you tools for your tool box. When you reach black belt you actually begin to learn how to use the tools.

KungFuWarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the system of Sil Lum Kung Fu that I study white sash is a symbol of void or a beginning and a black sash also symbolizes void or a new begining. Meaning that while your training does begin the first day you walk through the door you learn mostly the basics of the art. But when you reach black sash you experience a different kind of beginning you begin to understand concepts and theories of the art. :asian:

J

jakmak52

terryl965 said:
We seem to be getting alot of thread about BlackBelts ages or Training so my question to all of you is simple, do you believe (real) training starts after BlackBelt or do you believe you now have all the skill you ned to handle yourself in any stituation..... I believe your journey has just begun all you have done to that point is Master the basics of your Pratrcular Style. Not knocking all the hard work you've put into your journey already but for me training really just beginning... GOD BLESS AMERICA
I fully agree with you on this, I have so much more to learn.:)

Latest Discussions