Biu Tze - Any advice on good training practices?

kungfunick

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok so having learned my Biu form, I'm now looking for a few good ways to train strength in the attacks but still remaining soft.
Ideally I'd like the community to give me some good suggestions for coditioning too.

I do know I have to work the form, and I do have a few ways of working the Biu attacks into Chi Sau and Lat Sau, but I'm looking fo a few good routines to use in solo training after my morning forms

Thanks in advance :)

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok so having learned my Biu form, I'm now looking for a few good ways to train strength in the attacks but still remaining soft.
Ideally I'd like the community to give me some good suggestions for coditioning too.

I do know I have to work the form, and I do have a few ways of working the Biu attacks into Chi Sau and Lat Sau, but I'm looking fo a few good routines to use in solo training after my morning forms

Given the differences in lineages, could you identify more of the skills you're looking to focus on?

Strength with softness is in many cases a matter of structure and faat geng.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Strength conditioning for Biu Tze? Thats kind of an oxymoron isn't it? At least in my lineage relaxation and developing a sort of elastic force or yau lik is more basic for Bui Tze speed and power.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would work on making sure you have good balance at the end of each pivot in the pivoting elbow sequences.
It is not as easy as it looks , and can take quite a long time to eliminate any wobbles , especially when performed at high speed as it is meant to be done.
Just that alone could keep you busy for a few years.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wait a minute! That last post was made in a rush as I was eating lunch at my desk while at work. Now I have a moment and I see that you are associated with Andrew Cameron? Well then we are pretty much from the same lineage. So If your sifu gives you any different advice on this, please share it. Thanks.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would work on making sure you have good balance at the end of each pivot in the pivoting elbow sequences.
It is not as easy as it looks , and can take quite a long time to eliminate any wobbles , especially when performed at high speed as it is meant to be done.
Just that alone could keep you busy for a few years.

Yes! With my arthritic ankles, this has always been something I have to work at. But plenty of others without "creaky feet" seem to have trouble with this too.

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
if you have the money, buy a wing chun pole about $200, if you're broke, go to a lumber yard and buy a 9ft wooden dowel which will cost around $10. practice some of the basic pole exercises. it's a great way to learn to manifest body power into your elbows and out the hands, while remaining relaxed.

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
Biu-Tze is no different from SNT, C.K. or dummy, or pole, or knives. How you should train all new forms when you learn them is SLOWLY lol.

I find the best way is to start from square one. The more amount of variables, the greater the chance to screw up right? So start with the dummy. You can't hurt something that can't feel. And the dummy doesn't screw up. The dummy is a tool to teach you YOUR mistakes. If you do something wrong, you push yourself away from the dummy, I.E. you uproot yourself. When you start to feel the flow, you will understand better. Then you go to training with a partner, and so on and so forth.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score

My advice would be to isolate the key moves from the first section and practice a few hundred reps making sure that the energy is going in the right directions and focused in the right places.

Latest Discussions