Bin Laden is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe this will help boost Obama's popularity now with the people if Osama really was caught under his administration. It would be cool.

That and the slogan with the similarity of the two names just sounds cool.

OBAMA caught OSAMA :)

With all respect to the Commander in Chief, he didn't catch anybody. Men and women in uniform found him and killed him at great personal risk.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe this will help boost Obama's popularity now with the people if Osama really was caught under his administration. It would be cool.

That and the slogan with the similarity of the two names just sounds cool.

OBAMA caught OSAMA :)

oh give me a break, Obama had nothing to do with this. He will use it to his advantage like any politician would, but this was our troops, and the men on the ground who did this. Its been a long time coming, I congratulate the troops...... the idiots like Obama, and Trump and any other politician who claims they are responsible can go piss off.
Now to start picking off the next in line, and the upcoming replacements, and continue to eliminate any future jackholes like this running around.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only thing Obama did was make it a priority. Watching his statement he did not claim anything other than that. In fact he went out of his way to comend the many, many, other people involved in this.

For some reason I seem to recall SEAL forces were involved, but I don't know why I'm thinking that.

Yes, there will probably be increased attacks for a while. Should we not have brought justice to OBL?

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know he wasnt out there sweating bug juice like the troops were who would have actually risked their lives to do this. But it would still be said in history books he was the president when it happened. Agree or disagree they will still probably give Obama some credit.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
While Im shedding no tears, I don't know how much I like celebrating a death (watching the news coverage in front of the WH). Even OBL's.

I'm grimly satisfied. Proud of our "Operators". Glad that the mastermind of 9/11 has gotten his due. But I wouldn't say I'm "happy".

Last edited:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/#ixzz1LAHVbYuR

Well it says that we have the body... (another article did anyway)... Commendable to the troops that sweated blood and bullets to get the bastard... and a nod to the pres who made it a priority... but didn't Bush make it a priority too? Either way... it ain't over by a long shot. Terrorist organizations aren't just going to sulk off into a hole and do nothing because their revered leader is killed. They're hydras, cut off one head and two more will appear.
Wanna do something real about terrorism then get the whole damned nest. Otherwise do what we've been doing... keeping an eye out for cells hiding here in the states waiting for activation to protect our citizens.

Personally... I smell a rat.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/#ixzz1LAHVbYuR

Well it says that we have the body... (another article did anyway)... Commendable to the troops that sweated blood and bullets to get the bastard... and a nod to the pres who made it a priority... but didn't Bush make it a priority too? Either way... it ain't over by a long shot. Terrorist organizations aren't just going to sulk off into a hole and do nothing because their revered leader is killed. They're hydras, cut off one head and two more will appear.
Wanna do something real about terrorism then get the whole damned nest. Otherwise do what we've been doing... keeping an eye out for cells hiding here in the states waiting for activation to protect our citizens.

Personally... I smell a rat.
It has been reported here that Obama called Bush soon after he was informed so it could be seen as a bipartisan effort, taking into account, Bush initiated the hunt. Good riddance! :asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
STATEMENT BY PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH

by George W. Bush on Sunday, May 1, 2011 at 11:55pm

May 1, 2011

Earlier this evening, President Obama called to inform me that American forces killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of the al Qaeda network that attacked America on September 11, 2001. I congratulated him and the men and women of our military and intelligence communities who devoted their lives to this mission. They have our everlasting gratitude. This momentous achievement marks a victory for America, for people who seek peace around the world, and for all those who lost loved ones on September 11, 2001. The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Politics aside and if all turns out to be true, I applaud the military and intelligence community for the results. Because bottom line, politicians do not get things done. It always comes down to the great citizens quietly doing their jobs that gets results. Results that are usually hijacked by various political figures to try to harvest more votes. Now if the same great citizen makes an error in judgement then of course they will get full credit for that and then some (okay, I went a little political, but at least it's bipartisan).

This will be a closure for the friends and family of the 9/11 victims. So folks, stop whining about Obama (for or against). Isn't there enough other threads to whine about him.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
While Im shedding no tears, I don't know how much I like celebrating a death (watching the news coverage in front of the WH). Even OBL's.

I'm grimly satisfied. Proud of our "Operators". Glad that the mastermind of 9/11 has gotten his due. But I wouldn't say I'm "happy".

I have never wished a man dead, but. I have taken great pleasure in reading a few obituaries. Mark Twain

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Im watching obama on tv now announcing the death. Can we all agree that this is a good thing?

For the nation...and the world, in fact...yes, I think we can.

However, and I'm just going to mention it now, once we inevitably get around to discussing election implications, I fear we'll return to our party flags.

For now, though, it's definitely good news. I think I'll remember tonight as clearly as I remember 9/11 itself.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
If at all possible , I think it may have been better to capture him alive.
In the eyes of the extremists and their potential recruits he will seem like more of a martyr because he was killed.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have similar sentiments to Angel on this.

The fact that the global intelligence community and the miltaries that act on their information, managed to fulfil the Presidential promise made some years ago restores their credability.

It is no bad thing for an 'evil' to be removed but I wouldn't like to be celebrant about the death of any person. Relieved is perhaps the right word, if the stature of the evil is that of Hitler or Stalin and happy that they can do no more wrong.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is no bad thing for an 'evil' to be removed but I wouldn't like to be celebrant about the death of any person. Relieved is perhaps the right word, if the stature of the evil is that of Hitler or Stalin and happy that they can do no more wrong.

Yeah. bin Laden was obviously someone who had the ability to lead, orchestrate complex objectives etc. It's sad that he spent his life doing what he did. I wonder what he could have accomplished if only he wasn't blinded by beliefs and such, but instead was driven to use his abilities and his money to do things that would've been beneficial to society, like promote education in the Muslim world, or help in some way, any way.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The bad thing about this, yeah, there is one and it is a doozy:
A lot of people think Osama bin Laden was the be all and end all of global Islamic terrorism. There is a word for such people: Stupid.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True enough, Don. What he was was a figure-head and one that was portrayed as thumbing his nose against those tasked to defend those the terrorists would target.

The longer it went on, the more credible he became and vice versa for the intelligence services. As soon as it was publically stated that he was going to be brought to book then it had to be done - a matter of "when" rather than "if".

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's great news, but it's not the end of the story. Ayman al-Zawahiri is still wasting oxygen, that needs to be corrected. And that mansion that bin Laden was found in didn't build itself. There are still a lot of loose ends to ki- er, tie up.

I commend the troops who pulled off this mission, and also President Obama. Despite my opinion of him in every other regard, I have been pleased with the way he has handled the war since he took office.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Taking out OBL probably won't change much when it comes to terrorism. However, it is a great phsycological boost to the American public and a notification to the world that if you kill American citizens, it may take a while, but justice will find you.

The Bush administration did not make OBL a priority. If they had, OBL would not have escaped from the Toro Boro area because the administration did not approve the allocation of more resources to get it done. I don't think there was any plot or anything like that to keep him free, but it definitley was not something high up on the list of things to get done, like overthrow Saddam Hussien.

I think kudos should go out to everyone involved in this, from the prez on down.

I also think that celebrating OBL's death is a bit much. It is similiar to putting down a rabid animal. There shouldn't be any pleasure in death, even if neccesary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions