Bikers, show off your ride

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am old and brittle...i needs my comfort ;)

I'm old and brittle too... but not THAT old and brittle :D

Actually I hate fairings and I hate not being able to see the front wheel, the BMW taught me that. Even with the extended windshield the wind came of the top of the thing and hit me right in the helmet and absolutely everywhere I went it sounded like I was in a continuous thunderstorm.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
is it just the styling?

ya I think so.
I am not big touring bike fan anyways, but If I had to get one I would still put the ultra glide, the goldwing, and the Rocket III above the the vision... but ya I dont see myself getting a touring style bike..
either a cruiser, or a rice rocket for me.

although one of the black belts for Gracie Barra here in San Diego has his Harley customized for racing, adn let me tell you its a beast, suspension, pipes, stabilizer, heads and pistons, that bike looks classic Harley but it is a beast, it wont win on the top end versus my ZX-10R, but it will beat the crap out of it off the line.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm surprised too, Johm; I thought there'd be more. Then again, I used to 'move' in biker circles so I probably have a skewed view of how many of us there are :lol:.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, me too. I was hoping to see a lot more bikes....oh well.

I guess I'll have to post my first smoker I had:

1975 H-2.

Although red here, I re-painted it in a Corvette metalic blue, added chambers, .60 over piston kit, port work, carb work and a few other goodies. I'm really mad I never took a picture of it when it was completed. It was a very nice bike and I loved it.

H2_2.jpg

Mike

tinker1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here's mine:
CaTrip098.jpg

CaTrip094.jpg

Someone was asking about gas mileage. My bike as a 96 cui motor + a 6 speed cruise drive (standard package), I get about 48-50 mpg on the freeway, and 42-45 mpg around town.

About weight. My last ride was a HD electra glide, and was about 200 pounds heavier than my current ride. That last bike was really made to go long distances on - cruise control.. abs.. cruise drive.. 6 gallon gas tank.. comfortable seat.. and LOTS of storage. The eGlide is also made with "inverted front forks", which makes it really stable at slow speeds (it's also plenty stable at high speeds) - so it was easy to handle. You just don't want to let it go over on you.. because lifting a bike that's in excess of 800 pounds can be challenging.

Years ago I had an Indian Chief - beautiful bike... but it broke down a lot. It didn't have the saddle bags and tour pack, or the cruise drive, or the large gas tank... and yet that bike was heavier than my eGlide. Go figure.

Any long distance bike is going to be heavy. That's just the way it is. My current ride though is a dream to ride. It's got all the power I'll ever want + the overdrive gear for long trips. It doesn't come with bags for a long trip, but I have throw over bags I can put on in minutes, and then I'm all set for a long trip.

About reliability. Harley used to make really lousy bikes - the leaked oil and broke down a lot. One of my early bikes was an Iron Head Sporty (HD).. I never could get that bike running right, and it was iffy whether it would start most mornings. I sold that bike and rode Honda's for years.

Now days though Harley makes a very reliable bike. I put about 150,000 miles on an old EVO (96 HD softail custom), and never did much beyond change the fluids. The new Twin Cam motor is even more reliable... I've had 5 Harleys with that motor and never had a problem.

About being "old guy" bikes. Probably true. To each their own.

Latest Discussions