Put one of my dogs down today

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Pretty bummed about it. Duke was a great dane/boxer we adopted from the humane society 12 years ago. My 205 lbs, 6 ft tall 15 year old was a toddler at the time. Duke's been a part of the family for a long time. It was the right thing to do... definitely time, but I'm still very bummed out.

RIP Duke. You were a very good boy. :(

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sorry for your loss. I know how it is, and nothing really helps. But remember this, if you believe in heaven, I am pretty sure we get our pets back when we get there

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm so sorry Steve. It is so hard to lose a pet, especially one that has been with you for a long time.

It is so wonderful that the family such a good companion. And how fortunate for Duke that he had such a caring family. :) Pets stay in our hearts and memories, always with us.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Feeling for you. Just remember what a great companion he has been.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry this had to happen, man. I loved my cat and I LOOOOVE my dawg.

Hope y'all feel better soon.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Speaking as somebody who is sad when the 25 cent goldfish dies...

No matter how long we have to prepare for it, when they go they leave a huge void.

Many hugs to your family.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Steve. At least Duke had a family that really loved him.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awww man :(. My sympathies, Steve.

As you can see from the posts above, an awful lot of poeple share the knowledge that just because a member of your household had four legs and didn't communicate with words doesn't mean you loved them any the less for it.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had a lot of different animals for a long time, but after just recently getting a dog, they find their way into your heart like no other animal in a way I didn't expect. RIP Duke.

Mine's still young, but I don't even like to think about the future that way. One of the curses of our animals having such short life spans.
203397_100001043608163_3778284_n.jpg

MPC1257

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know how you feel. Had to put my black lab down 8 years ago and I still think about him. The only thing I can say is try to remember all the good times you had with Duke. I wish you well.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My condolences Stave. I've lost a few over the years, and it's never easy.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Steve. Its certainly a very ahrd thing to do, as they're one of the family. :(

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss Steve. :( I've had 3 dogs in my life that I've had to put down and I still miss them all. Rest in Peace Duke.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. My 2 year old was looking for him today. That was a little rough. She asked if he was sick, said she missed him. Tough when it comes from a 2 year old.

The other dogs were looking for him, too.

Duke is the second dog I've had to make the tough call with. My first dog was a Corgi/Beagle mutt we picked up from a rescue. When we adopted him, they estimated his age at 3, but he was closer to 8. He was also a good dog, but a little crazy. :)

Duke was just shy of 2 years old when we picked him up from the shelter.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. It's never easy to have to make that decision. I had to put down my cat I had for over 12 years due to cancer and I bawled like a baby. Just take comfort in knowing that you provided him a loving home and family, there are alot of other pets that aren't as fortunate.

Latest Discussions