Biceps or triceps use more for punching?

DarrenJew

Orange Belt
Reaction score
true... not a muscle but without it you will have very little power in your blows.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
DarrenJew said:
true... not a muscle but without it you will have very little power in your blows.

Ya well thanks for stating the painfully obvious :rolleyes: since most people don't deliver techniques while hanging from a trapeze or while rolling down the street on a skateboard.

DarrenJew

Orange Belt
Reaction score
But your foundation and balance is off... it will effect the effectiveness of your strike. Try hitting someone when your off balanced. Wing Chun has a "one inch punch", almost none of the power generated with the arms, many of the muscle groups you've mention come into play... but most of the power comes from the ground most of the torque is generated from muscle groups in the back and wrist and legs.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
For straight punches biceps don't come into play at all, except to retract the punch.

Major movers are the triceps, pectorals and anterior deltoids. Other muscles act as stabilizers. The trunk and legs also add power, of course.
You need the biceps for other actions, so I wouldn't ignore them.
Regards,
Steve
That's exactly right Steve.
Something else to consider is that one of the things that inhibits the rate at which a muscle can contract or elongate is the strength or condition of the opposing muscle. If the tricep has been made strong and powerful but the bicep has not, then the Golgi-tendon at the neural receptor site of the bicep will not allow the arm to extend as powerfully/quickly in order to protect the weaker muscle.
Also: For joint stability, it's crucial that our strength development be as symetrical as we can make it. Imagine a vertical support on a suspension bridge: if the cables to the East are stronger than the cables to the West... it won't be a good support. Likewise, if the muscles/tendons on one side of a joint are stronger than on another... Not good!

So really, the whole body should be developed with balance and proportion. An over-all strength training routine is best for this.

Something to think about.
Your Brother
John

C

clapping_tiger

It is good to know basically which muscles contribute to a punch, but I find the best way to work those muscles is to beat the crap out of a heavy bag. Because each different punch uses slightly different muscle groups.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
clapping_tiger said:
It is good to know basically which muscles contribute to a punch, but I find the best way to work those muscles is to beat the crap out of a heavy bag. Because each different punch uses slightly different muscle groups.

Good call. It's one of the best reasons to do bag-work!

Your Brother
John

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
clapping_tiger said:
Agreed, the best way to develop and enhance any particular movement is to do that movement itself. Such simplicity that encompases detailed depth and complexity of all the parts involved is eloquent. Variable resistance training can also be accomplished by simple push-ups, modified in various ways such as inclination or elevation of your feet, width of the hands or knuckles on the floor, depth of each repetition etc. I also think this works synergistically with bag work. The basic concept remains constant, to improve the punch-do the punch-whether its on a bag or pushing on the floor, doing them slow under tension, or fast as you can do develop speed. Explore Simplicity.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
yeah...just sticking that question out there....

when i had worked out at a gym,,,,people were working real hard on bicep and bench presses...forgettting tricep

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
yeah...just sticking that question out there....

when i had worked out at a gym,,,,people were working real hard on bicep and bench presses...forgettting tricep
"Mirror muscles". The guys who hit bi's & chest, leavnig out things like legs, back & shoulders, really look silly to anyone who has trained dilligently in a well-rounded program. More interested in achieving X-frame ni training, than 0-frame, with no neck, legs, whatever, but the pecs are massive and the bi's are proud.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was going to say that the biceps protect the elbow from over extension, but the real experts beat me to it...

Latest Discussions