Best way to avoid joint pain

Uchimedic

White Belt
Reaction score
Lately I've been noticing some joint pain in my right knee and left elbow. I think the elbow pain is from repeated back and side falls. What can I do to keep from wrecking my joints? Are there any joint health supplements that work for anyone? I want to continue to enjoy the sport without regretting it when I'm older, so what do you all do?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
First, i am not a doctor and recommend you consult one.

What has worked for me are fish oil and glucosamine.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lately I've been noticing some joint pain in my right knee and left elbow. I think the elbow pain is from repeated back and side falls. What can I do to keep from wrecking my joints? Are there any joint health supplements that work for anyone? I want to continue to enjoy the sport without regretting it when I'm older, so what do you all do?
ignore all pain, apart from appendix pain, your body is lieing to you, it's no where near w recked yet

you could always try not falling over as much I supose or try falling on the other side ?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
fabzshwglo5z.png
Wear pads and braces until the pain goes away.

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score

If you can find a really good highly respected chiropractor and a massage therapist that can perform deep tissue massage. I have broken many bones (neck & ribs) as well as damage such as tennis elbow etc. Without the chiropractor keeping my body in alignment along with deep tissue massage provided by massage therapist I wouldn't be able to function. I take Krill oil, vitamin D, K, B12, B1 a greens powdered supplement called Moringa for joint pain that also contains a other vitamins such as vitamin C, Mg.I also eat a lot of soups containing bone marrow/collagen for joint repair. Your left elbow can easily be adjusted and deep tissue massage in the joint (break down scar tissue)would make a huge difference. Oh and I lost 20 pounds which made a big difference.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

Wearing some form of padding, and going easier until a doctors assessment.

I usually just don't do anything until join pain goes away.

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
QFT

See a doctor, preferably an Orthopedic doctor

Yes see your doctor first but generally they want an x-ray and bloodwork done then prescribe pain medication, physio therapy in some instances. Personally I have done all that and found the best solution overall has been diet, exercise, chiropractor and massage therapy.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes see your doctor first but generally they want an x-ray and bloodwork done then prescribe pain medication, physio therapy in some instances. Personally I have done all that and found the best solution overall has been diet, exercise, chiropractor and massage therapy.

Not been my experience with an orthopedic doc (although I have received a cortisone shot and had x-rays done, no blood work and no prescribed pain medication) and I have not had great luck with Chiropractors and I personally would not trust my joint pain to a massage therapist. But like most things other mileage may vary.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First thing you should do is work on those breakfalls before the mistake gets too hard wired to correct.

Last thing you should do is ask crazy people like us for any medical advice. :)

Do you think the knee pain is from breakfalls as well, or overwork in kneeling positions?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not been my experience with an orthopedic doc (although I have received a cortisone shot and had x-rays done, no blood work and no prescribed pain medication) and I have not had great luck with Chiropractors and I personally would not trust my joint pain to a massage therapist. But like most things other mileage may vary.
The supplements mentioned do help I think. I haven't had a cortisone shot in a while but they helped me a lot with pain while getting so muscle tone back. I had Syn-Vis (I think that's right)injections about a year ago which are supposed to be better than cortisone and last longer. I could not tell a big difference.

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score

That's a typical standard practice giving patients a cortisone shot but it is only good for short term relieve. It is my understanding speaking to a surgeon who wanted to operate on me (neck/back) that an individual could only receive up to 3 cortisone shots in his/her life time.The thought of major surgery scared me and decided to research reputable legit chiropractors which lead me to a community college professor who teaches massage therapy who became my massage therapist.

I do not want to go into too much detail but my body was a train wreck(many breaks). My family doctor is amazed how well I have healed based on diet/exercise, regular chiropractor visits and massage therapy. I recently looked at an x-ray image from 9 years ago, compared it to a recent x-ray from my chiropractor and the difference is night & day. Keep in mind not every chiropractor are equal as well as massage therapist because I have experienced some bad ones as well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends what the pain is from. If it's the actual joint, that will require a different approach than if it's something like tendinitis (which I get kind of a lot in my elbow area).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My docs rarely go for blood work (except where there's reason to suspect a systemic issue like RA), have never prescribed pain meds besides NSAIDs, and usually send me directly to PT, which often includes massage and other modalities.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's a typical standard practice giving patients a cortisone shot but it is only good for short term relieve. It is my understanding speaking to a surgeon who wanted to operate on me (neck/back) that an individual could only receive up to 3 cortisone shots in his/her life time.The thought of major surgery scared me and decided to research reputable legit chiropractors which lead me to a community college professor who teaches massage therapy who became my massage therapist.

I do not want to go into too much detail but my body was a train wreck(many breaks). My family doctor is amazed how well I have healed based on diet/exercise, regular chiropractor visits and massage therapy. I recently looked at an x-ray image from 9 years ago, compared it to a recent x-ray from my chiropractor and the difference is night & day. Keep in mind not every chiropractor are equal as well as massage therapist because I have experienced some bad ones as well.

But we are talking knee and elbow joints, not spinal, from the OP.

And like I said, others milage may vary, and many do go for surgery and many do get into continual cortisone shots. My experience was different with my knees. Did not recommend surgery and only needed 1 cortisone shot...so far and that was many years ago.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Great to hear about your improvements. I have had 3 cortisone shots/years in the past with no trouble. I understand they do have negative effects for some.

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
But we are talking knee and elbow joints, not spinal, from the OP.

And like I said, others milage may vary, and many do go for surgery and many do get into continual cortisone shots. My experience was different with my knees. Did not recommend surgery and only needed 1 cortisone shot...so far and that was many years ago.

Makes no difference as to the approach a chiropractor will take, it's all connected, he/she will make an assessment based on x-rays , symptoms etc.. My hips are adjusted once a week as well as legs, ankles, neck area spine etc. I use to go 3 times a week for many months an now I go once a week sometimes every other week. If your hip is out of alignment it affects your knee. If your elbow is bothering you it can be a variety of reasons such shoulder blade needs an alignment which connects to the spine/neck region. Or it can be as simple as cartilage damage in the elbow region that needs deep tissue massage to break up the scaring which increases blood flow to the region to begin the healing process.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Makes no difference as to the approach a chiropractor will take, it's all connected, he/she will make an assessment based on x-rays , symptoms etc.. My hips are adjusted once a week as well as legs, ankles, neck area spine etc. I use to go 3 times a week for many months an now I go once a week sometimes every other week. If your hip is out of alignment it affects your knee. If your elbow is bothering you it can be a variety of reasons such shoulder blade needs an alignment which connects to the spine/neck region. Or it can be as simple as cartilage damage in the elbow region that needs deep tissue massage to break up the scaring which increases blood flow to the region to begin the healing process.
I'm not disputing some people get benifit from chiropractioners, but if your going 50 times a year, every year, you are either a Hyprocondriac that being fleesed by a conman or you have really serious issues and you need a real doctor.

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not disputing some people get benifit from chiropractioners, but if your going 50 times a year, you are either a Hyprocondriac that being fleesed by a conman or you have really serious issues and you need a real doctor.

I figured some individual may look at it that way but I would rather not discuss the full extent of my injuries. You can conclude whatever you like but I am alive and doing very well based on my experience prescribed by a Dr. Chiropractic medicine. Have a good day.I wish you all the best dvcochran !

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I figured some individual may look at it that way but I would rather not discuss the full extent of my injuries. You can conclude whatever you like but I am alive and doing very well based on my experience prescribed by a Dr. Chiropractic medicine. Have a good day.I wish you all the best dvcochran !
are you saying a doctor prescribed a chiropodist, or are you claiming chiropractors are REAL doctors above you said a doctor wanted to operate and you decided to go to a adjuster instead.

fine if that works for you, but your recommending it to others

Latest Discussions