Best Scam

OP
I

IFAJKD

Cthulhu: Is the CMD school an off shoot of Chun Moo Quan. That school here is quite a scam and borders on cultish. Many crazy things. They even infiltrate new schools to check them out. Often there upper students do this. I got an oppurtunity from my Instructor back in the day, to blast one in class after we found out who he was and why he was there. and it was .....well....a blast.:cool: :rofl: :D

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep! CMD also used the name Chung Moo Quan, back in the day! You got to knock one of them around? I'm so jealous :D

I forgot all about that name. I believe they used to call themselves CMD/CMQ interchangeably, then it eventually became CMD/Oom Yung Do. If you notice their ads, the names CMD/CMQ/and possibly OYD are all registered trademarks (or are supposedly...they've lied about so many other things). I tend to be wary of any martial art that registers the name of the style as a trademark. Why would someone do that? Money.

If you haven't already, IFAJKD, check out that link I posted a couple of posts back. It's the stuff us martial arts parents tell their kids to make them behave: "If you don't eat your peas, I'm signing you up for CMQ/CMD/OYD."

"No Daddy! NOOOoooooooo! I'll eat the peas!"

This is the first I've heard of them going to other schools. I know many other instructors went to visit them, but I don't recall any stories of dojo-bashing. Richard Clear, however...

Cthulhu

OP
I

IFAJKD

I don't know about there but in Minnesota we have called them "kick in's". We thought we would deal with them first and one night while sparring I got the nod. He was a jerk and we never saw or heard from him again. Yeah it was fun. There is NO place for that kind of thing as far as I am concerned. :D

OP
J

Jim M

I've never heard of these guys either but thanks for the info. I've read this string and I have a few comments.

I didn't know Joe Lewis claimed to teach JKD. I've been to one of his seminars back in the 80's and I thought the guy had alot to teach in his own right. One seminar certainly does not make me an expert on the subject and that was about 15 years ago. In my opinion Joe Lewis is an opinionated egotist with the skill to back up his extreme statements. Again, this was a long time ago and things may have changed.

The biggest scam that I heard of was an "instructor" outside of Philadelphia. The guy was studying TKD for a few years and failed his black belt test due to inability to perform a required break. Anyway, the guy got into a conflict with the instuctor over this and quit the school. Less than a year later, the same guy opens a school in a nearby town, except now he's claiming to be a 7th Dan (less than a year ago he was a brown belt that failed his 1st Dan test). As a kenpo orange belt I had the opportunity to spar one of his brown belt. It's sad what some people get tricked into paying money to learn.

Jim

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I know of two great scams.

The first and one of my favorites is Tracy Kenpo? Who does Al Tracy think he is. He stabbed Ed Parker in the back before he got his Black Belt. He preached for yrs that his stuff was superior to the Ed Parker System. He then proceeded to tell everybody that he and Ed Parker were good friends, and that they were collaborating before Grand Master Parker on a video series. Yes Ed Parker started his series of video tapes, but his last article to a magazine he put the Tracys down. he said Tracys Kenpo? After Master Parker passed away the Tracy's created some B.S. history about their lineage.

Come on people. These guys are on the same business level as Chung Moo Do/Quan whatever they want to call themselves this week. And techniqually they are only one step above that.

The second great scam is being asked to buy a school to stop it from closing. I was asked by a representative of one of the larger kenpo associations to buy ht eschool in which I trained. If I did not buy it, it would have closed, and many people would have had no place to train. My fiance and I at the time bought the school, we followed the directions to running the school as per the directions of the local head of the organization. We paid tons of money for everything from, private lessons, to bringing in the local rep for seminars, to having him oversee all the gradings. When I got tired of paying for everything under the sun the local rep, endorsed the person I bought the school from to open a new school. Then all my students were contacted by phone and told that if they wanted to continue taking Kenpo then they had to go to a new school. Most of those people were intimidated in to going to the new school. Little did they care that the quality of instruction at the new school was sub standard. People are easily swayed by a little flash and the guy who screwed me out of my school, has done it to others. To me that is a big scam.

I feel so used, I didn't even get a kiss good night.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the first I've heard of that type of scam, Rob.

By the way, I'm sure Gou would give you a goodnight kiss :rofl:

Would it have been possible to find out who was calling your students? If it was from this organization, then you may have been able to take legal action.

Cthulhu

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Gou actually used to train at the school, I wa affiliated with. The students were told s that if they want to keep trainng in pressure points as well as their kenpo training they would have to go to the new school. The person who had his staff do all the calling knew what he was doing, it has happened to 3 schools that I have heard of so far. It is fine, the people who went off to trin inthe new school are still using a raquetball court for their training area 2 times a week. Many are dissatisfied, and have been calling me to open up again and teach them. I will not do this. I told the people what wa going to happen but they were blinded by the flash.

The person I bought the school from was going t shut it down because he was having a hard time making it and work mesh. He didn't care that these people would have no place to train and no one to teach them. Then when the school was prospering and I was tired of paying thru the nose, he and the district rep put their heads together and open a new school, and i get the shaft.

The people who are dissatisfied now will have made their bed and will now have to lie in it. It took months to break my people fo the Karate Mom/Mc Dojo thing and I don't want the headache from them again. If I choose to open a new school again it, I will not have any of these people as student again. I know it sounds petty, but I lost everything in this situation. Therefore I will choose to accept as students from now on. I now will be more selective as to I will allow as students.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I wasn't trying to implicate you in this one Gou, but with the comment that you would kiss me and make it better I was stating that you knew the story already.

Who knows maybe one day you'll return to that school. I wouldn't want to cause any problems for you.

OP
G

GouRonin

I doubt I'll go back. But what I was referring to was Chuggathoo's idea that I'd kiss you. Ah ha ha ha!

OP
I

IFAJKD

would somebody please kiss Gou or this web site will have to close down:rofl:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Gou isa friend and all, but I'll risk it closing down. No webiste is worth me kissing a man. Sorry Gou.

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

Just a quick FYI Al tracy has his black belt diploma from ed parker on his website, the site wasnt designed well so im still trying to find it, once i do ill post the link

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

http://www.tracyskarate.com/CONTROVERSY/Shodan.htm

I take Tracy Kenpo, and i like it, maybe mr. tracy claimed he was the best before i started but he dosent try to make that impression now, and at least he can say that he DID train with Ed Parker, something that many people claim to have done but cant come close to proving.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I have seen Al Tracy's Black Belt certificate on line. And if you read the whole story about it you will know that When Ed Parker came back from Hawaii the Tracy's were to test in from of several Black Belts. Parker did not want them to test but it was put before a panel of Black Belts which Ed Parker sat on. He signed the certificate but he is not the one who promoted them to Black Belt.

OP
G

GouRonin

Kaith made me promise to stop making fun of TKD and mentioning nudie bars.

So I won't.

I've seen Rob anyway. I'm not gay but if I was...I'm sure I could do better. Ah ha ha ha!
:rofl:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Gee Thanks Gou!

Besides your breasts are too small.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob - Not even if he brushed real good? :rofl:

Nate - I know what you mean about his site. Went there a while back looking for Kenpo info for a client of mine. Was a bit dated in design..but I've seen alot worse! :)

Rob - can you post a link?

I've heard various stories, had nothing substantial. I think that while there may be a "difference in opinion" between the Parker and Tracy camps, I don't believe that Mr. Tracy belongs in the scam catagory... I mean, it's not like CMD. We've got a Tracy school near me, they seem like a decent bunch.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Do as you wish. I had just been P.O.'d by a Tracy member and I was venting about my wasted years.

Latest Discussions