Best of next generation?

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone else got any good VT videos? Doesn't have to be your group, just anything you think is really good would be interesting

Lobo66

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lars Ender has a good group going in the south of Germany.
He also organizes the Delta Cup open martial arts tournament every year, where students can get competitioin experience against other WC people and MMA, MT, boxing, etc.

Lobo66

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Or there is the Ecole BASE in France. They train WSL VT and Gracie BJJ :

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone else got any good VT videos? Doesn't have to be your group, just anything you think is really good would be interesting
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The three stooges have some videos that are somewhat better than what is often put up on the internet.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The three stooges have some videos that are somewhat better than what is often put up on the internet.

Are you going to post a good clip in order to help change that sad statistic?

Lobo66

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Vajramusti,
Hope you're not refering to me as one of the "stooges". Don't see why that's necessary.
Why don't you post something that you find worthy? Maybe, just maybe, it could start some constructive conversation.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Come on Joy, tell us which clips you liked and why. Even if you don't want to post one yourself it would be good to discuss

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who is the practitioner in your system, besides the main guy, that you feel has the best understanding and ability to make it work?

Any video would be interesting to see.

Was hoping that would be me. Sadly, the universe/god/fate/genetics have had different plans.

The best guys in my org don't do video. Outside of my association, though we often spar about what's WC and what isn't, I genuinely like what Alan Orr has done. That he listens to that fruitcake in San Jose though surprises the hell out of me.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Another snide Vajramusti "drive by" comment. ;) And just when everyone was playing so nicely together! :p

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Anyone else got any good VT videos? Doesn't have to be your group, just anything you think is really good would be interesting."

"The three stooges have some videos that are somewhat better than what is often put up on the internet."

Guys, I don't always agree with Joy and I am certain there many things he doesn't agree with me on.
Maybe I am miss understanding him here but the sense I got from his statement was that he was referring to just anything you think is good from the internet. I didn't read anything in the comment disparaging anyone or any particular system or video.
In all honesty I haven't viewed many videos nor do I spend any time chasing videos on the internet. Most all I have seen is what has been posted here or that is shared to me on FB from time to time. Of those I have seen very few and I mean 'very few' have been worth viewing.
So based on what I have seen on the net I agree with him on the three stooges comment.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you going to post a good clip in order to help change that sad statistic?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry.There area couple of problems.
1. There are many bad wing chun videos on You tube- there is not much quality control and this accounts for much of the ridicule and lack of respect that wing chun faces from non wing chun people.

2. Viewers of you tube videos are often too ready to give their views without showing much analytical ability.

There are good wing chun videos-those of WSL and his best students and Ho Kam Ming and his best students, couple of Jiu Wan's students,
a couple of Ng Chan videos. I think that people like Hung Lum(Andrew Ma) would agree with me..I dont know how the view got started that wing chun can be learned quickly. Synthesizing the soft and the hard and related things are not easy. Take the slt---learning the visual aspects and sequences
are not too difficult but understanding in depth thr conceptual aspects of wing chun and sculpting ones motions accordingly are not easy.

I am not a missionary and I dont even have a video camera but have crossed hands with lots of people from different lineages and different arts.
I drop in hoping to learn something and to get a sense of what is going on.

I see some good videos in some facebook pages but they dont seem to appear here

Last edited:

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another snide Vajramusti "drive by" comment. ;) And just when everyone was playing so nicely together! :p
-------------------------------------------------------
I gather that you prefer a feel good society

Lobo66

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. There are many bad wing chun videos on You tube- there is not much quality control and this accounts for much of the ridicule and lack of respect that wing chun faces from non wing chun people.

2. Viewers of you tube videos are often too ready to give their views without showing much analytical ability.

There are good wing chun videos-those of WSL and his best students and Ho Kam Ming and his best students, couple of Jiu Wan's students,
a couple of Ng Chan videos. I think that people like Hung Lum(Andrew Ma) would agree with me..I dont know how the view got started that wing chun can be learned quickly. Synthesizing the soft and the hard and related things are not easy. Take the slt---learning the visual aspects and sequences
are not too difficult but understanding in depth thr conceptual aspects of wing chun and sculpting ones motions accordingly are not easy.

I am not a missionary and I dont even have a video camera but have crossed hands with lots of people from different lineages and different arts.

So just post the Facebook links.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------
I gather that you prefer a feel good society

I prefer people elaborate one what they mean so that others don't have to say something like "maybe I am miss understanding him here but the sense I got from his statement"........ You have established a pattern of typically only posting when you have something negative to say, making a very brief statement that does not elaborate on what you mean, and then when challenged on it you end up saying "I'm not discussing it further with you" and you bow out of the conversation. For instance....why did it take my probing to get you to actually elaborate on your current "one-liner" snide comment? Why did you make a negative "one-liner" snide comment on the Lop Da Drill thread, when everyone was discussing nicely and admitting that there were multiple approaches to the topic.....even Guy B!!!! :) This is not expecting a "feel good society", this is just expecting people to be somewhat polite and civil in conversation. More than one person here obviously thought your "three stooges" comment referred to them and there system, given that multiple videos from the internet had been posted here already and your comment did not elaborate on whether they were included in your statement or not. This is supposed to be a "friendly" discussion forum, and neither of your posts on 2 different threads just recently were particularly "friendly." Just sayin......

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks for reply.

You could post the facebook links of videos you have liked as someone else suggested? Increasing exposure to better videos might help to improve the reputation of VT, as highlighted in your point 1.

Alternatively if you don't wish to post anything, you could provide some feedback on any of the clips already posted which might help get some discussion going. Since you highlight a lack of analytical ability as a problem in discussions of VT video clips you could help change this by providing comment with analytical depth which might help to provoke interesting and informative discusion

Reactions: KPM

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't know...I think this comment has some validity, especially when you see some of the videos that claim to be wing chun.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

When people say "wing chun can be learned quickly," I think they mean exactly what you reference here: it is easy to learn the sequences and to learn kind of/sort of how the techniques work, but to get the proper body mechanics behind all of it...THAT will take a while. A lifetime.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer people elaborate one what they mean so that others don't have to say something like "maybe I am miss understanding him here but the sense I got from his statement"........ You have established a pattern of typically only posting when you have something negative to say, making a very brief statement that does not elaborate on what you mean, and then when challenged on it you end up saying "I'm not discussing it further with you" and you bow out of the conversation. For instance....why did it take my probing to get you to actually elaborate on your current "one-liner" snide comment? Why did you make a negative "one-liner" snide comment on the Lop Da Drill thread, when everyone was discussing nicely and admitting that there were multiple approaches to the topic.....even Guy B!!!! :) This is not expecting a "feel good society", this is just expecting people to be somewhat polite and civil in conversation. More than one person here obviously thought your "three stooges" comment referred to them and there system, given that multiple videos from the internet had been posted here already and your comment did not elaborate on whether they were included in your statement or not. This is supposed to be a "friendly" discussion forum, and neither of your posts on 2 different threads just recently were particularly "friendly." Just sayin......

Yes, it is SUPPOSED to be a friendly discussion, but we all know the reality. We have all seen something like this multiple times: one person says "I interpret bong sao/lop sao like this." Another person reads it, does not agree, and instead of saying "interesting interpretation, now here's mine," they start out by saying, "You're stupid for thinking that! You are WRONG! Now here is the REAL bong sao/lop sao interpretation!"

Of course, I am paraphrasing, but you get the idea. My point is there are a lot of times on here when people can't just give their view...they have to insult the other person first. It's maddening because I enjoy posting on here, but there are those times where it makes me feel like bailing.

And yet, here I am still. That is because I feel the good DOES outweigh the bad here.

Reactions: KPM

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...And yet, here I am still. That is because I feel the good DOES outweigh the bad here.

I agree.

@KPM ... Talking about "snide comments" and Joy's remark about a "feel good society"... sometimes snide comments make me feel good! :p

Eric H's post for example.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah Steve, but we've already established that you are kind of weird! :D:mooning: