Best of next generation?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Who is the practitioner in your system, besides the main guy, that you feel has the best understanding and ability to make it work?

Any video would be interesting to see.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why don't you go first? That is how you really stimulate a discussion and not give the impression that you are setting people up for another "gotcha" kind of thread. Show us a video of who you think the current best guy in your system is and maybe others will then be encouraged to do the same.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is the practitioner in your system, besides the main guy, that you feel has the best understanding and ability to make it work?

Any video would be interesting to see.
Hmm...when you say "system", do you mean within an association, or across the art?

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm...when you say "system", do you mean within an association, or across the art?

I believe that different associations of "wing chun" have mostly diverged into different systems. So within a family or association would probably be a good place to start

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why don't you go first? That is how you really stimulate a discussion and not give the impression that you are setting people up for another "gotcha" kind of thread. Show us a video of who you think the current best guy in your system is and maybe others will then be encouraged to do the same.

I think Michael Kurth is very good and very traditional.

Sean Wood his student is also very good and taking an interesting direction with MMA focused training

I like Selcuk Donmez who is a student of PB teaching in Essen. His VT is very clean

I like Akis Kounelakis also a student of PB teaching in Herkalion Greece

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like Wang Zhi Peng, although he has added some other elements

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like that you added Wang Zhi Peng to your line-up. There are many talented 1st Gen WSLVT students, and IMO he is one of them.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say Sifu Keith Mazza (closed door student of Grand Master William Cheung), the problem is he keeps videos to a minimum as he not only teaches Wing Chun but also is a Subject Matter Expert for the Department of Justice in Combatives and so he, understandably, tries to keep videos limited because his "day job" is Combatives, both WC/martial arts related and firearms. Now I know TWC and it's founder is a controversial topic in many WC/VT circles, but it works and isn't that what MA's is about?

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Hi KPM, are you encouraged to add some people who you feel are doing a good job of taking your system forward?

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like that you added Wang Zhi Peng to your line-up. There are many talented 1st Gen WSLVT students, and IMO he is one of them.

Please tell me who you think is doing a good job of taking the system forward?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi KPM, are you encouraged to add some people who you feel are doing a good job of taking your system forward?

Pin Sun Wing Chun in the west is a very small group. I think Jim Roselando has done a great job of taking the system forward here in the US. I understand that Pin Sun has experienced something of a "surge" in popularity in China over the past decades with multiple schools springing up in Sha Ping. A friend in China tells me that the Pin Sun guys tend to dominate the local tournament competitions. I hope to visit Ku Lo and Sha Ping at some point, but don't know anyone in that area yet. There might be some really good people! Fung Chun's sons Fung Leung and Fung Keung are active and teaching as far as I know. Would love the opportunity to spend time with either of them! :)

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pin Sun Wing Chun in the west is a very small group. I think Jim Roselando has done a great job of taking the system forward here in the US. I understand that Pin Sun has experienced something of a "surge" in popularity in China over the past decades with multiple schools springing up in Sha Ping. A friend in China tells me that the Pin Sun guys tend to dominate the local tournament competitions. I hope to visit Ku Lo and Sha Ping at some point, but don't know anyone in that area yet. There might be some really good people! Fung Chun's sons Fung Leung and Fung Keung are active and teaching as far as I know. Would love the opportunity to spend time with either of them! :)

Interesting to see the system, thanks. Do you train with this group?

Do you have any footage of Fung Chun's sons?

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Please tell me who you think is doing a good job of taking the system forward?

IMO there are several WSLVT practitioners that are doing a good job taking the system forward. In fact, I know few that aren't making a positive contribution. I try to avoid singling out practitioners of my system as being better than others. Many of them are my personal friends and training partners. It would be like picking my favorite brother, which I would never do.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you a Gary Lam student?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lately I'm increasingly of the frame of mind where I don't think WC/VT/WT can meaningfully move forward without some method of testing results like you see with competitive arts. I'm talking "pressure testing" on a large scale inclusive of all lineages. This is one of the things I like about what Alan Orr has been trying to do.

On the other hand I don't want to see WC/VT/WT reduced to a "sporting" method. This kind of pressure testing can only be part of the picture. Still, if we had such a testing method, we could finally get past the "my way is better than your way" frame of mind and objectively see what emerges as most practical from all lineages.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a G. Lam student but I do have two of my senior students who have gone to his school in California several times a year for two years and have received certifications of some level under him as well...they have not continued under him.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lately I'm increasingly of the frame of mind where I don't think WC/VT/WT can meaningfully move forward without some method of testing results like you see with competitive arts. I'm talking "pressure testing" on a large scale inclusive of all lineages. This is one of the things I like about what Alan Orr has been trying to do.

On the other hand I don't want to see WC/VT/WT reduced to a "sporting" method. This kind of pressure testing can only be part of the picture. Still, if we had such a testing method, we could finally get past the "my way is better than your way" frame of mind and objectively see what emerges as most practical from all lineages.

I agree with your wish for VT not to become a sport. I'm not sure I agree that inter lineage competition would be a good idea because all competitions involve compromise and all would seek the kind of competition that favoured them most. Competitions and other ways of testing do already exist and I think it is a good idea to make use of these.

I think that not being as open as some systems is actually a strength of VT, because it allows more selective teaching and often better, closer student teacher relationships.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree. It's one of the reasons I like Sifu Mazza. He has personally engaged in pressure testing as have two of his students. You can find videos of Provisional Master Jerry Devone fighting at MUSU a few years ago and my Sifu used WC operationally in LE.

I also don't see an issue with cross WC/WT/VT competition. The essence of the arts (manner of strikes etc) are basically identical. Its not like back in the day in MMA when you had a BJJ guy trying to get the rules maximized to benefit him vs a striker, as an example.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the Sean Wood video, and I also like Alan Orr.

I have trained in WC for about 20 years now, and I see a lot of people come and go. In my opinion, a lack of good WC fighters representing in MMA is NOT because we use techniques that are against the rules, but because a lot of people who went to the same WC school as me had no interest in training for the ring. I was one of the few people who supplemented his WC training with a workout routine...not that I was training for the ring either, but I figured if I got confronted by 5 guys in a bar, I should be better at running than at WC. (I mean, I would need to be good enough to knock one of them down to create an escape route, but there's no way in hell I would stick around for a 5-on-1 fight.)

Some people think if you exclude certain attacks from WC (like you would have to do if you wanted to be in a tournament), that you are no longer doing "true" WC. I don't really agree with that.

Now that I think about it, I think that is a thought that could start another thread completely.

Reactions: KPM

Latest Discussions