Best of next generation?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah Steve, but we've already established that you are kind of weird! :D:mooning:

Are you referring to me? I know there is a member whose screen name is Steve, but I also know you can see MY name is Steve in my signature.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is another good clip. It is Philipp Bayer so old generation but good to watch:

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My friends Stuart and Tracey Clayton, both red sashes in TWC under Rick Spain, run a kwoon in Ulverstone, Tasmania that offers Wing Chun, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA, and kickboxing classes, as well as a fully equipped gym for fitness training with classes daily. They have another red sash who instructs named Brent Duggan, and some top notch gold sash students/instructors of both genders to back them up.

Stuart is a brown belt in BJJ.

They have produced some successful MMA fighters including Ethan Duniam. One of his cage fights is here:

I gather some guy called Alan Orr in Britain has done similar things. Apparently he has a Jiu Jitsu black belt as well. Me too!

I have another friend who runs a school in Merimbula on the South Coast of NSW with a similar curriculum. He's only been going down there for about a year so it might be a bit early for him to have developed a stable of fighters. But:

I think these people show that you can run a world class kwoon or fight gym anywhere. A city or a small town.

I don't really like putting up video because context is missing and too many have different approaches from ours which means endless arguments and explanations. AS this might prove ;)

Last edited:

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
IMO the "next generation" will have to have more than Wing Chun to be regarded as complete fighters.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My friends Stuart and Tracey Clayton, both red sashes in TWC under Rick Spain, run a kwoon in Ulverstone, Tasmania that offers Wing Chun, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA, and kickboxing classes, as well as a fully equipped gym for fitness training with classes daily. They have another red sash who instructs named Brent Duggan, and some top notch gold sash students/instructors of both genders to back them up.

Stuart is a brown belt in BJJ.

They have produced some successful MMA fighters including Ethan Duniam. One of his cage fights is here:

I gather some guy called Alan Orr in Britain has done similar things. Apparently he has a Jiu Jitsu black belt as well. Me too!

I have another friend who runs a school in Merimbula on the South Coast of NSW with a similar curriculum. He's only been going down there for about a year so it might be a bit early for him to have developed a stable of fighters. But:

I think these people show that you can run a world class kwoon or fight gym anywhere. A city or a small town.

I don't really like putting up video because context is missing and too many have different approaches from ours which means endless arguments and explanations. AS this might prove ;)

Thanks for the clips. I don't think anything wrong in running a fight focused gym and I think bjj a very useful addition to VT

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
^I assumed that was a joke about French people pronouncing the name properly. It's Sean Wood

Whatever. Sean Wude is what he called himself when he befriended me on Facebook. I'm taking his direct testimony over your hearsay.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whatever. Sean Wude is what he called himself when he befriended me on Facebook. I'm taking his direct testimony over your hearsay.

lol ok, keep your hair on

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO the "next generation" will have to have more than Wing Chun to be regarded as complete fighters.

I'm not sure if it is sensible for VT to present itself as something that produces complete fighters. It is what it is, don't think it needs to change. More people entering comps would be good to see though.

Lobo66

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But if you enter a pancrace or mma competition, for example, you had better be a more complete fighter, i.e. confident in your standing grappling/wrestling and ground game. No two ways around it.

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
But if you enter a pancrace or mma competition, for example, you had better be a more complete fighter, i.e. confident in your standing grappling/wrestling and ground game. No two ways around it.

I think if you are going to enter an MMA event then you absolutely need to look beyond VT to cover all the bases. You need a ground game to start with, and some kind of standing grappling ability would be second most essential to add on.

In my experience BJJ is a very complimentary system to add to VT which doesn't contradict anything and takes a similar technique over muscle based approach.

Standing grappling is more problematic but I would go with judo or SC over western wrestling because I think it interferes less with VT

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think if you are going to enter an MMA event then you absolutely need to look beyond VT to cover all the bases. You need a ground game to start with, and some kind of standing grappling ability would be second most essential to add on.

In my experience BJJ is a very complimentary system to add to VT which doesn't contradict anything and takes a similar technique over muscle based approach.

Standing grappling is more problematic but I would go with judo or SC over western wrestling because I think it interferes less with VT

Judo would absolutely be more compatible with wing chun over western wrestling. Both rely on sensitivity. If your opponent is leaning toward the left, then help him go there with a judo throw. This is the exact kind of sensitivity developed in chi sao.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^ I'm finding Bukti Negara Silat to be a great match up with Wing Chun. The punching/closing structures and techniques aren't all that different, so their sweeps, throws, and finishing moves just fit perfectly with Wing Chun.