Best of luck to our international fighters

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So Gorilla's daughter, Kymberly, is off to Alicante Spain for the Spanish Open with the AAU Team and my daughter, Samantha, is off to Chelyabinsk Russia with a team put together by 2000 Olympic coach Young In Cheon for the 7th Olympic Hopes Competition.

I hope both these young ladies have a great experience and bring a couple of gold medals home to the USA.

ChrisJ

White Belt
Reaction score
Awesome! Best of luck to both Kymberly and Samantha! Keep us updated.

-Chris

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sitting in the Airport waiting to depart...Good luck to Sam in Russia I know that she will do well...

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck Sam and Kym. Remember the angles...
icon10.gif
. That's just the coach in me, sorry.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Long day today, waiting for that first Skype call from Russia. But team USA made it to Chelyabinsk and is all checked into their rooms and they are now having a team meeting and probably eating breakfast, since it is just after 7:30 AM. I read that pancakes and caviar are a popular choice for breakfast there, but I personally could not stomach such a combination.

I have set up a Facebook page to post updates and pictures about the team's activities. You can check it out at http://www.ro.connect.facebook.com/pages/7th-Olympic-Hopes-Team-USA/104500256260396?ref=mf and please feel free to post some comments wishing good vibes to Team USA.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, it is currently just after 9AM in Chelyabinsk. Fight day for Samantha and the rest of Team USA. I hate the fact that I am not there, but I know that she is going to be fine and get down to the business of kicking Russian girls in the face when she steps on the mat.

Right now should be opening ceremonies and then it is on. I don't believe there is internet access at the venue, but it is across the street from the hotel so my wife says she will run across the street and skype me with results as she has opportunities to do so.

If she does, you can follow all the results on the Team USA Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/7th-Olympic-Hopes-Team-USA/104500256260396.

Good luck USA!!!

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
After nearly 15 hours of waiting, I have word that Samantha and Madison have both won their first fight of the day and are waiting to go in the Semi-Finals. I don't have any other details about their fights.

The other 3 USA fighters (Mark, Nathanael and Nicki) unfortunately each lost in their first fights.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Both Madison and Samantha have won their 2nd fights. I am pretty sure they each are now into the finals, but word is fragmented coming out of the country.

The event is now entering the 16th hour of day 1.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The day is done. Still no details other than that Samantha won Silver and Madison won Gold.

Congrats to both of them and special thanks to Master Nathan Doggett for coaching and Grand Master Young In Cheon for putting the whole trip together.

Details will be posted to the Team USA Facebook page later today when they become available.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kymberly fought really well!!! Lost in the Quarter Finals to Spain 9-6 on a head shot in a very close fight. She lost to the gold medalist. Master Tubbs was very happy with how she fought and the fight that she won. This gives her a very good Idea of her position on the World Stage and the work she needs to do to get to the highest level. It was a great experience. AAU did very well winning 9 medals and the USAT won 4 medals a very good showing for Team USA a combined 13 medals from both Organizations.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats to Kymberly on a hard fought battle. Sounds like she learned a lot and had a great experience.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great job Kym. Just another stone step on for you. Congratulations.

Latest Discussions