Beowulf - The movie that shouldn't be

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I reckon you and I could have quite a splendid vino & flicks night-in, my good friend :lol:.

Well, we could at that—I'll be in the UK for an extended period of time during 2009... I'll bring the beer and popcorn! :lol:

I have to confess tho' that I am larely of the 'film is not art' school of thought; at least modern cinema is that way. Things used to be different before special effects budgets ruled the roost and before actresses could be so easily persuaded to disrobe. Not that I've got anything against the nude female form; it's just that it's a 'cheap trick' for a film maker if s/he doesn't actually have anything to say.

I also have to confess that tho' she as nutty as a fruit cake, Ms. Jolie is a splendid example of the female form, re-invented for the era in which she lives of course. The vision of her driving a Jaguar XJ220 (such a beautiful car) in Gone in Sixty Seconds will remain with me a while :D. That said, Ingrid Bergman is one of my all time favourites and will, I agree, endure in the memory.

Where was I going before I lost track? Oh yes, the CGI version of Beowulf. I had been tempted to buy it (as well as the live-action version) and am glad to have been warned off in no uncertain terms. Maybe we can persuade Kenneth Branner to do a film version? That might stay closer to the original story.

KB would have been my choice as well....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, we could at that—I'll be in the UK for an extended period of time during 2009... I'll bring the beer and popcorn! :lol:

Huzzar! I'll make a mental note to add that to the diary. Hopefully we'll be able to arrange things (assuming that the world hasn't speeded up it's journey to hell in a hand cart :D) :tup:.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also have to confess that tho' she as nutty as a fruit cake, Ms. Jolie is a splendid example of the female form, re-invented for the era in which she lives of course.

Yes, but in this animated nonsense, the incompleteness of the nude image made her look like an asexual disrobed Barbie doll. Sure, the Lady Lumps were all in place, but the details were all missing. It was a really strange choice in making her look that way. I felt like they wanted to be daring in portraying the nude character, but they lacked the balls to do it properly. They chickened out. Just really Bizarro World.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but in this animated nonsense, the incompleteness of the nude image made her look like an asexual disrobed Barbie doll. Sure, the Lady Lumps were all in place, but the details were all missing. It was a really strange choice in making her look that way. I felt like they wanted to be daring in portraying the nude character, but they lacked the balls to do it properly. They chickened out. Just really Bizarro World.

Did you know that they shot those scenes while she was pregnant? Then CGI'd her into more of a vixen, and less of a "matronly" situation?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched a fair few films derived from books, some much loved and enjoyed the films even though the story was only vaguely like the original stories. Beowolf was just a bad film! Ray Winstone's pronounciation of 'monster' was hilarious though :lol:

Latest Discussions