Belt Order

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan

Really? I wouldn't.
There was a man in Taiwan by the name of Hung Yi Shang, who was extremely well resepcted and was former head of the Taiwan Martial Arts Federation, respected Sying Yi, Bagua, & Taichi master and all around bad ***. His students wore "Japanese" karate uniforms and it even said "Tang Sho Dao" or Karate Do (old kanji for Kara) on the back of the uniforms.

Just because someone is "an all-around badass" doesn't mean they are studying any specific style. A Kung Fu school would wear a CAM type uniform where a Karate would ususally wear a JMA type uniform. If I was looking into a CMA and they were not following CMA traditions I would be a little leary. Not saying they couldn't be teaching Kung Fu, just normally an instructor of Kung FU would be traditionaly CMA.

7sm

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis

Just because someone is "an all-around badass" doesn't mean they are studying any specific style.

You are correct. However, I believe that RyuShiKan intended that inclusionary comment to communicate the fact that Hung's legitimacy wasn't based on the clothes he wore, but for the fighting skills he possessed and taught...

A Kung Fu school would wear a CMA type uniform where a Karate would ususally wear a JMA type uniform.

And while that is normally the case, there are valid reasons for this not being the case in some schools. In Yiliquan, for the purpose of maintaining the quality of instruction between schools, we have rules set out for many aspects of our training, not the least of which is the uniform we wear. The decision to make JMA uniforms the standard was led by yours truly, due in part to my own personal preferences as well as certain economic factors. I prefer the JMA uniforms as they are more durable, require less potential maintenance following hard grappling training (the CMA uniforms can lose buttons, and once they do you pretty much need to get another jacket as the buttons are hard to repair), in general they are more available and at cheaper prices. The sash worn for CMA uniforms (we make our own out of different materials for different levels) can be a real pain in the keister - it comes untied at the worst times and doesn't stay in an extended fashion to provide the abdominal support it is intended for. The JMA belt is sewn into a stiff position insuring it will remain in place, tied, and snug in all but the most bizarre situations (admittedly a new belt is hard to keep tied, but that is remedied by more training! ;) ).

If I was looking into a CMA and they were not following CMA traditions I would be a little leary.

Not to be picky, but which CMA traditions are you referring to? The clothing they wear? You are aware that the CMA uniform is based not so much on specific athletically oriented wear (as the JMA uniforms, especially the judo and iaido ones, are) as it is normal street wear, right? So the use of a CMA style "uniform" is less tradition and more mimickry than anything else...

And while I am as traditionally oriented as one would want to be, I also recognize that I am a citizen of the USA, and folks don't wear that kind of clothing when they are walking down the street and getting mugged... So what I wear to training has to facilitate training, supposed traditions be damned. The other part of my motivation in getting the JMA uniform installed as the "official" training uniform is that it is a simple garment easily used for simple training. For specific training (I think I have said this somewhere else earlier), students should follow the "CMA tradition" and show up in their street clothes! That is much more appropriate to learn self-defense than wearing a set of PJs and light weight tennies (unless, of course, you are in the habit of wearing your jammies on the street... maybe we could start a new fashion trend!!! ;) )

Not saying they couldn't be teaching Kung Fu, just normally an instructor of Kung FU would be traditionaly CMA.

Well, and I think this goes back to a thread I posted in regarding using foreign languages in English speaking schools, kung fu really means nothing more than skills developed over time. Trying to assume that traditional cultural costumes are somehow intrinsically tied in to the development of martial skills is to miss the point of the martial training. Sure, some arts will always retain the original costume of the country of origin (iaido and kyudo spring to mind), and that is fine, since those arts are cultural treasures in addition to being martial arts. However, for those whose motivation is less to propagate a cultural idiosyncracy and more to develop self defense skills, what they wear is of little importance in terms of the legitimacy of the school.

Gambarimasu.

OP
C

chufeng

When I was in Hawaii, I trained for a short time with Sifu Arthur Lee...a Master of Fut Ga Kun...a man of unbelievable skill, but VERY humble.

What uniform do you think he wore to teach us?

Street clothes...he preferred double knit pants because they were stretchy, and pointy leather shoes...

The only time I saw him "suit up" was for traditional Lion Dances...

so much for the uniform theory...

:asian:
chufeng

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by chufeng

When I was in Hawaii, I trained for a short time with Sifu Arthur Lee...a Master of Fut Ga Kun...a man of unbelievable skill, but VERY humble.

What uniform do you think he wore to teach us?

Street clothes...he preferred double knit pants because they were stretchy, and pointy leather shoes...

The only time I saw him "suit up" was for traditional Lion Dances...

so much for the uniform theory...

chufeng
I agree.

Traditionally, those clothes were more comfortable IMO but ever since those "super uniforms" or the "flashy" uniform, it's gotten strange. I prefer shorts and a t-shirt or sweat pants and a sweat shirt.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist

I prefer shorts and a t-shirt or sweat pants and a sweat shirt.

And while from a certain standpoint I agree, at least for occassional training uniform use, the training uniform has to have a certain durability that will allow it to be used frequently over a long period of time with little wear and tear... That is why I like my black judogi... That thing is like armor and will last darn near forever!

I met Sifu Lee once years ago, and his seminar and demonstration at a tournament were done in slacks, a knit top, and Florsheims. No silly PJs for him! :D

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
You are correct. However, I believe that RyuShiKan intended that inclusionary comment to communicate the fact that Hung's legitimacy wasn't based on the clothes he wore, but for the fighting skills he possessed and taught...
I agree, I didn't say it wassn't based on his fighting skill rather than his fashion choices, however, because a person has high skill levels in fighting doesn't not prove latency to a specific art or system. I know several great fighters who do not study any specific system or art. That was my specific point, not that an instructor's skill is limited to his clothes, but that he system would "generally" use close to the same clothing. And I did say generally.
And while that is normally the case, there are valid reasons for this not being the case in some schools. In Yiliquan, for the purpose of maintaining the quality of instruction between schools, we have rules set out for many aspects of our training, not the least of which is the uniform we wear. The decision to make JMA uniforms the standard was led by yours truly, due in part to my own personal preferences as well as certain economic factors. I prefer the JMA uniforms as they are more durable, require less potential maintenance following hard grappling training (the CMA uniforms can lose buttons, and once they do you pretty much need to get another jacket as the buttons are hard to repair), in general they are more available and at cheaper prices. The sash worn for CMA uniforms (we make our own out of different materials for different levels) can be a real pain in the keister - it comes untied at the worst times and doesn't stay in an extended fashion to provide the abdominal support it is intended for. The JMA belt is sewn into a stiff position insuring it will remain in place, tied, and snug in all but the most bizarre situations (admittedly a new belt is hard to keep tied, but that is remedied by more training! ).

I understand that some school do not use "traditional" uniforms at all. Validity for that reason basicaly escapes me, but I do see it. Let me clarify my statment of "traditional". In my school we do not wear full traditional CMA uniforms with the frog buttons and all for everyday training. However, we do not wear traditional FMA, or JMA, or any other system "clothing style". While we do not wear "traditional" in that sense, we do wear a "traditional" training uniform. We wear CMA pants with elastic at the bottom, not the straight leg type. We are allowed to wear school T-Shirts on some nights, others we use a jacket that is "traditional" in its look, but sturdy. My school doesn't wear sashes at all. So you see, I'm not speaking of extremely "traditional" as you would think from watching some Kung Fu movie, I'm speaking of accepted or "traditional" wear for Kung Fu training.

Not to be picky, but which CMA traditions are you referring to? The clothing they wear? You are aware that the CMA uniform is based not so much on specific athletically oriented wear (as the JMA uniforms, especially the judo and iaido ones, are) as it is normal street wear, right? So the use of a CMA style "uniform" is less tradition and more mimickry than anything else...

And while I am as traditionally oriented as one would want to be, I also recognize that I am a citizen of the USA, and folks don't wear that kind of clothing when they are walking down the street and getting mugged... So what I wear to training has to facilitate training, supposed traditions be damned. The other part of my motivation in getting the JMA uniform installed as the "official" training uniform is that it is a simple garment easily used for simple training. For specific training (I think I have said this somewhere else earlier), students should follow the "CMA tradition" and show up in their street clothes! That is much more appropriate to learn self-defense than wearing a set of PJs and light weight tennies (unless, of course, you are in the habit of wearing your jammies on the street... maybe we could start a new fashion trend!!! )

I am speaking of "tradition" in the sense that most Kung Fu school today accept that as the appropriate dress. We strive to maintain our traditional roots while adapting to today and the wear and tear on training uniforms. As the CMA uniform being adapted to stret clothing, it is, but you have to understand what street they are taking that from. It is adapted to the street wear of what the majority of chinese workers wore on a daily basis. Also this all goes back to what you are attempting to learn from your class. Are you there to only learn to fight well? Self defense is a great benefit, but I don't believe should be the one only reason you are studying. That is why we are clinging to our traditional roots. You have to balance tradition with practicality. But this doesn't mean adopting another systems style in clothing. Remeber the original text was that we would be leary about a Kung Fu school in JMA uniforms, not street clothing. I would be much less leary of them in street clothes myself.

Well, and I think this goes back to a thread I posted in regarding using foreign languages in English speaking schools, kung fu really means nothing more than skills developed over time. Trying to assume that traditional cultural costumes are somehow intrinsically tied in to the development of martial skills is to miss the point of the martial training. Sure, some arts will always retain the original costume of the country of origin (iaido and kyudo spring to mind), and that is fine, since those arts are cultural treasures in addition to being martial arts. However, for those whose motivation is less to propagate a cultural idiosyncracy and more to develop self defense skills, what they wear is of little importance in terms of the legitimacy of the school.

Gambarimasu.

I understand that you are taking a very literal stand with the words "kung fu". However, you must in todays world and the past worlds define the specific CMA somehow. How would you propose? Kung Fu is a term that has been used and will continue to be used to do specificaly that. Because the literal translation does not convey the exacticality of the system doesn't mean in todays world, the one you so adimatly portrayed in your post, we are bound by using terms to indentify, and Kung Fu is the term that identifies this system of CMA. No one is saying clothing is, "...somehow intrinsically tied in to the development of martial skills...". What I am saying is that traditional systems will inspire a sense of traditional clothing. If you study a system and have no interest in its creation, or its traditions, I would propose that you are not ruly studying that system. You said, "However, for those whose motivation is less to propagate a cultural idiosyncracy and more to develop self defense skills, what they wear is of little importance in terms of the legitimacy of the school". The legitimacy of the school no, the background of the instructor, yes.

7sm

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I understand that some schools do not use "traditional" uniforms at all. Validity for that reason basicaly escapes me, but I do see it.

What is it about the validity of the practicality of training wear that escapes you? Shouldn't the clothing fit the endeavor? If I am swimming, I don't wear a parka. If I am biking, I don't wear loose clothing.

Let me clarify my statment of "traditional". In my school we do not wear full traditional CMA uniforms with the frog buttons and all for everyday training. However, we do not wear traditional FMA, or JMA, or any other system "clothing style". While we do not wear "traditional" in that sense, we do wear a "traditional" training uniform. We wear CMA pants with elastic at the bottom, not the straight leg type. We are allowed to wear school T-Shirts on some nights, others we use a jacket that is "traditional" in its look, but sturdy.

Then from my perspective, i.e. "traditional" CMA schools wearing the full Mandarin style jacket and pants, you would be "nontraditonal" yourself... I understand that at least you aren't wearing a uniform taken from another style or national culture, and I appreciate your point there. However, it does need mention that the "JMA" style uniform is in actuality very similar to Chinese clothing from before the Mandarin era... If you look at normal everyday clothing from quite a ways back, as well as the uniforms of the Shaolin monks (since everyone loves to go back to Shaolin as their origin in some manner), you will see that the shirt/blouse/jacket worn was of a wraparound/foldover style, not of a button up style...

My school doesn't wear sashes at all.

And you aren't alone in that. We use sashes/belts for two purposes: 1) Primarily to perform continuous breathing training (when you are doing Reverse Breathing properly, your lower abdomen will press out against the sash/belt; that pressure gives you immediate feedback whether you are doing it properly or not); 2) to easily and rapidly separate training groups. We have no "rank" per se in Yiliquan... Just students and more senior students, no teachers at all as we firmly believe we are all continually learning.

So you see, I'm not speaking of xtremely "traditional" as you would think from watching some Kung Fu movie, I'm speaking of accepted or "traditional" wear for Kung Fu training.

And this is where you start to trip over your words... Traditional for "kung fu" as historically and culturally accepted or traditional as accepted in the US? If you look at the historical facts, wraparound jackets were commonplace in China. The button up jackets were not as commonly used until after Mao took over and instituted "uniforms" for the Communist Party... If you look at "traditional" in the context of what is accepted in the US, then you will have a tough go at stating exactly what that means. While you are allowed to wear t-shirts and pants, and sometimes a school t-shirt, my school (and others I know of) would never allow such leniency in codes of dress - it is the full Monty or nothing at all.

I understand that you are taking a very literal stand with the words "kung fu". However, you must in todays world and the past worlds define the specific CMA somehow. How would you propose?

Maybe with "Chinese Martial Arts." I am not taking a "literal stand" with the words, I am using them the way they are supposed to be used... If I told a student that they were learning "booger fu," knowing full well what "booger" means, but I tell the student that we use the word "booger" to mean something different, don't you think that native speakers who know what "booger" really means wouldn't be upset at its misuse and condemn those who misuse it? That is where I am coming from on the language topic... It is so common in the US (and elsewhere I'm sure) for people to use things the way they want with no concern for the proper use, because they are "expressing themselves" or some other equally nonsensical reason, that we begin to communally condone such misuse. I refuse to. Either use the language properly, or check your foreign terms at the door. I think that "Chinese Martial Arts" covers everything just fine.

Kung Fu is a term that has been used and will continue to be used to do specificaly that (define the specific CMA somehow).

But it fails to do just that! The terms wu shu (which is far more appropriate, and is what is actually used "traditionally" in China) kuo shu (used in Taiwan primarily) are far more "traditionally" accepted than kung fu is. So we have at least three terms being bandied about and nobody can seem to agree on what it is they actually are doing!

Because the literal translation does not convey the exacticality of the system doesn't mean in todays world, the one you so adamantly portrayed in your post, we are bound by using terms to indentify, and Kung Fu is the term that identifies this system of CMA.

So if we are not bound to use the "traditional" terms, why are we bound to use the "traditional" clothing? Your argument is inconsistent on this. You are trying to say that we should continue using a particular set of clothing from the style's country of origin, but that the terms from the language of the style's country of origin can be picked and chosen as we see fit? Either one or the other... Either we keep 100% of the whole thing, or we pick and choose. Trying to argue that we need to do the former, while actually doing the latter is nothing short of hypocrisy.

No one is saying clothing is, "...somehow intrinsically tied in to the development of martial skills...".

I know that. I didn't intend to imply you (in particular) were, but there have been discussions about this issue on other fora where just such an issue came up. Essentialy, the other arguments were that without certain nationalities or certain other accoutrements you couldn't actually hope to learn CMA. Total bunk, but that was what was being said... I apologize if you took that in reference to yourself - such a meaning was not intended.

What I am saying is that traditional systems will inspire a sense of traditional clothing.

Which was why I made reference to kyudo and iaido. Kendo could be included, also, to a degree. They are highly traditional in their orientation (although in their present form they are only nearing about 100 years old; their predecessor arts are much older), and at least some of their art is keyed into the clothing they wear. But I don't believe that to be the case in CMA.

If you study a system and have no interest in its creation, or its traditions, I would propose that you are not ruly studying that system.

To a degree I would agree with you on this point. If a person fails to delve fully into the cultural context of their art, the linguistic background (to fully understand the terms being used to describe different aspects of their art), etc., then the students are not truly studying that system, only the physical components of it. However, I think the people that go the extra mile are few and far between... To better understand CMA I have studied massage therapy, TCM, Chinese religion and philosophy, military strategy and history, and Chinese language. I continue to pursue these things as I continue to pursue my training, and in Yiliquan such ongoing training is required at higher levels, not just encouraged. In my karate training I continually ask questions to better understand the terminology being used. When I lived in Japan I ran my Japanese friends down in the hall continually, trying to better understand the language and nuances of certain phrases. You would be amazed at the level of misunderstanding because of this failure on the part of many instructors... If they knew what they were saying when they said it they would understand some things much better.

You said, "However, for those whose motivation is less to propagate a cultural idiosyncracy and more to develop self defense skills, what they wear is of little importance in terms of the legitimacy of the school". The legitimacy of the school no, the background of the instructor, yes.

The school is the outward manifestation of the teacher's efforts. If the legitimacy of the school is not in question because of the uniform worn by its students, then the legitimacy of the teacher's training is irrelevant. To validate his background, rather than make an assumption based on their uniform, questions could be asked to determine the reason for being "nontraditional." I think that would be a much fairer test than automatically shooting down a teacher because of what his students wear...

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this topic. I have enjoyed your comments and rebuttals, but neither of us appear to be willing to back down on our opinions.

Gambarimasu.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not going to argue words with you, ask anyone on the street what Jackie Chan does, what will they say...Kung Fu. That is why I used those words, for the simple reason that thye are understandable to everyday people. You have based so muhc on todays world and society, yet you are unwilling to use terms they understand. That is the tip of nonsensical.

7sm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be quite honest, I didn't read your entire post because I find it trite. Lets stay on the topic and not get off on detailing words used by each other.

7sm

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ok, I'm not going to argue words with you, ask anyone on the street what Jackie Chan does, what will they say...Kung Fu. That is why I used those words, for the simple reason that thye are understandable to everyday people.

Well, when you ask someone who actually speaks the language you are butchering you would be surprised to get a different answer...

You have based so muhc on todays world and society, yet you are unwilling to use terms they understand.

No, I do use terms they understand. I say "Chinese Martial Arts." And if I find a term in another language that I do not speak, I have the decency to go look the word up so I don't sound like a poorly educated shmoe when I use it.

That is the tip of nonsensical.

To be quite honest, I didn't read your entire post because I find it trite.

Whatever. Perhaps you missed this part:

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this topic. I have enjoyed your comments and rebuttals, but neither of us appear to be willing to back down on our opinions.

You are getting a tad snippy. Is there a reason for this? It seems that thus far we have done nothing inconsistent with typical thread drift... We are still discussing the appropriateness of uniforms worn, which sprang from a discussion of belts worn, which sprang from a discussion about what belt colors were used...

Lets stay on the topic and not get off on detailing words used by each other.

It would be very convenient to leave words out of this, and it would really work to the benefit of the terminally monolingual, but when I am called to task because of a lack of adherence to "traditions" and then find that the person calling me to task is not as fully versed in those same "traditions" (since CMA is from China, and the terms used to describe it, teach it, etc., are typically mangled Chinese words), I find it both applicable and on topic to sort out the genuine meaning of the words in order to fully clarify exactly what is being discussed...

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It would be very convenient to leave words out of this, and it would really work to the benefit of the terminally monolingual, but when I am called to task because of a lack of adherence to "traditions" and then find that the person calling me to task is not as fully versed in those same "traditions" (since CMA is from China, and the terms used to describe it, teach it, etc., are typically mangled Chinese words), I find it both applicable and on topic to sort out the genuine meaning of the words in order to fully clarify exactly what is being discussed...

Wow, calm down there buddy. You are assuming alot about me right here, lets not get into what happens when you make an assumption. You are assuming I do not speak Chinese, or that I am not versed in Chinese culture. Lets not be so quick to administer personal jabs while conflicting our own statments.

7sm

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Wow, calm down there buddy.

Oh, I am calm. Perfectly so. While I enjoy engaging in debates here on the internet, I certainly don't get riled about conflicting comments, nor do I lose sleep when folks disagree with me... Hence my previous comment that we will likely have to agree to disagree on this particular thread.

You are assuming I do not speak Chinese, or that I am not versed in Chinese culture.

Well, let's call it an educated assumption. Your comments have all led to the misuse of Chinese language as well as misunderstandings of what you term "traditions" in CMA. If anyone is being assuming, I think it would be you. You say that the clothes make the man, and woe unto he that wears something different, but you can use the words and the language however you see fit...

The way I see it, if you (you "anyone," not you "7star") are a student it is an opportunity to learn as much as you can by learning the traditions, culture, language, history, myths, philosophy, religion, etc., of your chosen CMA style. If you (you "anyone," not you "7star") are an instructor, then IMO it is your responsibility to be sure you learn as much as you can, accept corrections when they are given, and correct misuses, misunderstandings, etc., when you see them. Being content with the existence of a problem makes you (you "anyone," not you "7star") a partner in the propagation of the problem. Personally, I stand firm in correcting minor errors that have, regrettably, become deeply ingrained in the CMA community at large. I may be in the minority, but I refuse to allow my inaction to help foster further ingnorance.

Lets not be so quick to administer personal jabs while conflicting our own statments.

Please show me where I am conflicting my own statements. I was contrasting, in fact, your call to arms for the maintenance of CMA "traditions" against your endorsing the misuse of the language used to describe the arts you practice. It is okay by your thinking (so it seems) to pick and choose what you adhere to. Wearing a certain costume is an easy choice - just put it on. Speaking the language, or at very least understanding the select terms you make use of, is more difficult - it takes effort and study.

Maybe you do speak Chinese. I have no way of knowing for sure. If you do then I don't understand why you wouldn't want to correct the misuse of it, given your expressed desire to ensure the continuation of tradition. If you don't, then I can understand why you would be happy to have the discussion avoid that area, since it would shed light on an area that lacks in your training, thus invalidating some of your arguments.

Either way, I have stated my opinions. If they contradict yours, so be it. The world is made of lots of different people with lots of different viewpoints. For the record, I am not trying to attack you, I am not trying to humiliate or otherwise make you a victim in this discussion. All I have done is to review what you wrote, dissect it, and display the parts that I felt were contradictory. If I was in error, feel free to dispute the errors and show me where I am wrong. Or not. Either way, it's a free country... or internet... whatever. ;)

Gambarimasu.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, let's call it an educated assumption. Your comments have all led to the misuse of Chinese language as well as misunderstandings of what you term "traditions" in CMA. If anyone is being assuming, I think it would be you. You say that the clothes make the man, and woe unto he that wears something different, but you can use the words and the language however you see fit...

Gambarimasu.

Assumptions, educated or not are still dangerous. I completely understand the terms I am using, I also understand the traditions I speak of. I also speak a dialect of Comanche, a native american language, and while the world calls them indians, they are not actualy indian now are they? But then Cowboy and Nativa Americans movies wouldn't have quite the same ring to it would it? I used Kung Fu because it is an accepted term that everyone understands what I'm talking about, the use of language is to communicate, and I communicated what I ment easily and quickly. I'm sorry you don't agree that Kung Fu is an accepted term both in America and China, but like you said, we can disagree. The term Wu Shu is now more related with the system that Jet Li has studied. See, you have to communicate with terms that people understand. If you went to France would you expect everyone to understand American slang? Of course not, you would use terms they understand, that is my point. I have studied "Kung Fu" since I was 7 years old. I understand the culture, religion, tradition, and word usage. French Fries are not from France, do you still use that term even though its not actually "correct" ? Yes, because its accepted, and if you ordered fried potatoe sticks in McDonald's they would probaby ask you what you wanted.

7sm

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Our old system was:

White, Yellow, Orange, Purple, Blue, Green, 3 degrees of brown, 10 degrees of black.

Our new belt system is now:

2 degrees of White (green stripes)
2 degrees of Green (brown stripes)
3 degrees of Brown (black stripes)
10 degrees of Black (red stripes)-for all practical purposes only 6-7 degrees of black.

I was told that they changed this belt ranking to take it back to a more "traditional" time, much like described by CTHULHU's post on the first page.

We are a "traditional" (what ever that is) kenpo system with influences from our founder's training days in Japan. We have no child black belts or watered down techs for the kids. The kids learn the same system the adults do.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's rather wierd to hear "traditional belts" and have taht defended with "no kid black-belts".

The colored-belt system that most JMA / KMA schools derive from was started by Kano, who used it to tell relative skill of students across a diverse population when he created Judo... for school children.

The belt system was made for an art that was made to be PE for Japanese kids.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our school goes white, yellow, green, blue, orange, brown, black and then the levels of black.

There is no rules on uniforms, but most of us were all a black gi. The people that don't just were a tee-shirt and sweats.

I think that we are a lot less formal on the belts than most places. There is no formal tests for our belts, when our teacher feels we have attained a cetain level of proficiency, he just tells you that you are a <insert color here> belt and gives you a belt and certificate.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
White
go-kyu=yellow
yon-kyu=blue
san-kyu=green
ni-kyu=purple
i-kyu=brown
six levels of black, white gi until sho-dan then you're authorized to wear hakama but these are rarely worn as they tend to hide your footwork. When you're instructing you want others to see your feet.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ours is white,yellow,orange,green,blue,purple,brown, black

Latest Discussions