Kaith's Challenge!!!

G

GouRonin

Recently Kaith made a challenge to his friends at his Kenpo school. He wanted to have them try out their gun techniques while he used a paintball gun on them.

Since no Kenpoists have agreed. I have taken him up on his offer.

I will do this at the JK Kenpo camp in NY State in August. There will be several senior Kenpoists there that will tech me said techniques and I will attempt to execute them while Kaith uses a live paintball gun. We will see what will happen.

My guess it this. I expect to get hit. However not to the point that I will be "killed" With the expert Kenpo seniors there I should have enough information on how to do these techs so that I will be able to defend myself. Kaith and I will then look at where I got hit, and how etc and see what the actual damage will have been. We will be wearing full helments etc as I hope to rip off my technique as realistically as possible as the gun is as close to realistic as possible.

Should be interesting.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for you Gou Im glad someone is going to try. This should be a great learning experience for all.

OP
K

Kirk

I spoke to Kaith about this myself. I agree it's a GREAT idea.
As a matter of fact, I hope someone can catch it on mpeg, so
we can post it here! (Anyone with a sony mavica could catch it).

The only thing that I have to say about it is this .. Kaith knows
the tech .. an advantage that a normal "shooter" more than
likely wouldn't have. So a trigger pull gets to happen at the
slightest movement.

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by Kirk

I spoke to Kaith about this myself. I agree it's a GREAT idea.
As a matter of fact, I hope someone can catch it on mpeg, so
we can post it here! (Anyone with a sony mavica could catch it).

The only thing that I have to say about it is this .. Kaith knows
the tech .. an advantage that a normal "shooter" more than
likely wouldn't have. So a trigger pull gets to happen at the
slightest movement.

Then why not have several shooters trained and untrained too see how much of a difference that makes. We can take a poll and see how many people would like to line up and shoot gou.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've -read- the technique, but have not actually ever seen it done, even in practice, so there is some uncertainty on 'when' to fire. On the other hand, if you can evade someone who is expecting it, then when you gain the surprise you should have a better chance at success. IMHO. The folks at the camp who have spent years training are better qualified than my to evaluate that though. :)

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

I've -read- the technique, but have not actually ever seen it done, even in practice, so there is some uncertainty on 'when' to fire. On the other hand, if you can evade someone who is expecting it, then when you gain the surprise you should have a better chance at success. IMHO. The folks at the camp who have spent years training are better qualified than my to evaluate that though. :)

Oh, my bad! I thought you'd practiced it before.

You didn't reply to my begging for an mpg of it. It'll be awesome
either way. If you splat gou in the face with paint, you could
probably sell a video of it. :D

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agreed to get shot by Kaith it's just that I can't get to him.
Anyways good luck Gou.
If nobody can get it to the net. Send the Video to me I will get it Internet Ready. I work at a Video Production Agency.

Michael

OP
G

GouRonin

Sadly, until I can be compensated for my work and royalties paid, video will not be available to the general public. However, we will be making cassettes with taping copyright blocking on them available for a small fee to cover our time, expenses, and effort. get out your cheque books. This little little technique is a Kenpo technique called, "Checking The Wallet." Ha ha ha!

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Good luck, GouRonin. It should certainly be an interesting experiment. I think this topic was brought up in another thread first and I agreed there that it was a good idea. Perhaps painful, but as someone else said, better to have it happen at a practice session than on the street where it counts. Definitely let us know how it goes.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind if -anyone- is trying this themselves.

Wear eye protection.

We will be clearing out a safe zone, and both wearing the proper safety equipment.

Its 1 thing to check your speed..its another to blow an eye out.

If we get pics / video I will try to get them up...no guarentees. :)

:asian:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Kaith,

If you can, find the paintball marker that's essentially a semiauto handgun size. It may make it more realistic than a larger marker.

Cthulhu

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I had the $150, Id snag one. Sadly the cash flows at a trickle level...unless anyone here needs lots o web work in the next few weeks, I'm probably gonna have to shoot the boy with the automatic. :)

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is a silly question, but can you borrow one from someone else then? I'm guessing if you have a paintball gun, you must play or at least used to play. That would mean you know others who also play(ed). One of them might have a smaller gun that you could borrow for the day for this test. No?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, I don't know anyone with a pistol. I've got a Tippman 98. Its about the size of an UZI. Since we're only trying the first part of the techniques (the evasion) it shouldnt be too bad.

I think. :)

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gou... I'm well impressed, man. Good to see someone putting their hoodad where their whatsit is.

Could someone describe the technique for me? I'm assuming its the "Broken Rod" tech Kaith mentioned in the thread this one grew from. I've never done any kempo, and have no idea what the technique is.

I'd also be intereste to know the format of the challenge...how far apart are the two players situated? facing eachother? etc etc.

I've seen some pretty wicked gun-in-the-backof-the-head disarms from taiwanese swat operators, but i've never seen a *convincing* face-to-face handgun disarm.

Hope it goes well.

Baoquan.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup. Broken Rod.

Basically, we're not doing the entire thing...That whole I dont need a broken arm. :)

Just the initial 'get your *** out of the line of fire bit. I'll be using the gun 1 handed (T98 is a 2 hander) to simulate a pistol.

Basically, its a rear attack. Gunman presses a pistol into the back. Immediately you pivot clockwise on your left foot to get out of the lne of fire. There is a simutanous waiter tray block to the outside.

Paintballs are 68 cal. Because of the range, I expect Gou to wear some padding. Experiment stops when I've fired 1 round, or Gou gets his hands on the gun. (We're gonna omit the dislocated elbow, gun to my jaw, etc parts). :D

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sweet.

I've been hit with a paintball point-blank. it hurts. a lot. Padding would be good :D

look foward to seeing how it goes.

Cheers

Baoquan

OP
G

GouRonin

Holy cr@p this just keeps getting worse and worse. First the gun is now an UZI I have to avoid getting shot with and now I can't rip Kaith's arm out if I do avoid it???

Looks like I picked the wrong month to quit drinking...

Anyway, I have the added luck of having a few Kenpo seniors there to help me with the motion of the technique. We'll see what they give me for advice.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

Basically, its a rear attack. Gunman presses a pistol into the back. Immediately you pivot clockwise on your left foot to get out of the lne of fire. There is a simutanous waiter tray block to the outside.

I have no experience with this sort of thing, so I'm just trying to get a general picture of how it would work. The defender is going to be turning into the gunman then, right? The accompanying block would have to follow the body rotation. So as the defender turns CW (to the right), he uses his right arm to block, pushing the gun off to his right. The combination of turning and pushing the gun away should result in any shot by the gunman going behind the defender's back then. Does that sound basically right? Like I said, I'm just trying to get the basic idea of it in my head so I kind of know what you two will be trying out.

Latest Discussions