Because it's not always about winning

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the first video did the guy tap out because he was scared he was going to injure his opponent?

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about the first vid. The guy looked pissed afterwards, like he was being patronized.

The fight was at the point where you see what the dark trunks guy's heart is made out of and this happens…can't say I'd be happy if an opponent did that for me and I question the idea that white trunks even did it "for the other guy" so to speak.

If you wish to preserve honor there are better ways to do it. For example, Chris Eubank Jr. vs Nick Blackwell. Eubank Jr was lighting Blackwell up and landed so many power shots to the head that many felt Blackwell's life could be in danger. For the last 2 rounds Eubank Sr. who was working Jr's corner told him "I don't want to see anymore shots to the head, you're going to finish this by going to the body". Possibly saved Blackwell's life.

If he were really THAT worried about his opponent's safety why not start going to the body? Or go to the ground and go for submissions? You can force a tap without causing brain trauma. Or if he's not a submission guy and he gets outgrappled then the other guy actually gets his win legitimately (relatively speaking) and does so by testing his heart and mettle which is what he was doing there in the first place.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about the first vid. The guy looked pissed afterwards, like he was being patronized.

The fight was at the point where you see what the dark trunks guy's heart is made out of and this happens…can't say I'd be happy if an opponent did that for me and I question the idea that white trunks even did it "for the other guy" so to speak.

If you wish to preserve honor there are better ways to do it. For example, Chris Eubank Jr. vs Nick Blackwell. Eubank Jr was lighting Blackwell up and landed so many power shots to the head that many felt Blackwell's life could be in danger. For the last 2 rounds Eubank Sr. who was working Jr's corner told him "I don't want to see anymore shots to the head, you're going to finish this by going to the body". Possibly saved Blackwell's life.

If he were really THAT worried about his opponent's safety why not start going to the body? Or go to the ground and go for submissions? You can force a tap without causing brain trauma. Or if he's not a submission guy and he gets outgrappled then the other guy actually gets his win legitimately (relatively speaking) and does so by testing his heart and mettle which is what he was doing there in the first place.
I remember seeing this video a while back, along with some explanations. Basically, the guy who 'won' was a friend of the guy who tapped out, and initially agreed to fight because another fighter backed out last minute. He didn't really feel any motivation to continue fighting his friend full contact when he could spar him any other time.
Also, to me the guy looked more confused than pissed.

Edit: Here's an article from when it first came out. Revisiting Pantangco vs. Rasner: Was It What We Thought?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

The guy was way out of his league, he honestly should be thankful for him being shown mercy. Not everyone would be nice and probably would have given him a much bigger beating. From the looks of it he was just a begginer and had no place there in the first place.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They go through hell to train for fights. To have the other guy tap like that is pretty disappointing.

And it does not matter how winning you are a fight can be turned around.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
I remember seeing this video a while back, along with some explanations. Basically, the guy who 'won' was a friend of the guy who tapped out, and initially agreed to fight because another fighter backed out last minute. He didn't really feel any motivation to continue fighting his friend full contact when he could spar him any other time.
Also, to me the guy looked more confused than pissed.

Edit: Here's an article from when it first came out. Revisiting Pantangco vs. Rasner: Was It What We Thought?

Thanks for the link, the background info makes this a lot more understandable to me.

The guy was way out of his league, he honestly should be thankful for him being shown mercy. Not everyone would be nice and probably would have given him a much bigger beating. From the looks of it he was just a begginer and had no place there in the first place.

I don't think you know how a fighter's mind works…

Also, you're seriously underestimating the other guy. In the beginning of the fight he took the white trunks guy right to the ground and attained mount, and after he reversed he was showing aggression from guard. He had a conceivable path to victory even though it was looking bleak, and besides, fighters come back from WAY worse than that to win. And I'm not just talking about at the UFC level either.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This
He had a conceivable path to victory even though it was looking bleak
and this

Misses the point. Sometimes it's not about winning. By the way the guy that you 2 keep saying could have made a comeback is the same guy that won the fight.

I do and that is not always the wisest approuch to take.
I totally agree with this. I would never trust a fighter to make the right decision after being hit in the head like that or when they have been hit in the head multiple times. Fighters get tunnel vision when fighting. They are only focused on fighting and as a result their decisions aren't always going to be in their best interest. A lot of times pride gets in the way as well.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly. This is why it is important for their coach to throw in the towel if there is no chance or it is simply not worth it.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They go through hell to train for fights. To have the other guy tap like that is pretty disappointing.

That fight isn't the same as the one I posted. The guy was pressing the other guy, but many of those punches missed. In addition he was still responsive. My thoughts is that they other guy that hit the mat could have continued, just by how he hit the ground and went right into a solid and aware defense. He was even able to quickly get off the mat. This could have been one of those cases where the sound of the kick was harder than the actual kick. You also have to keep in mind that in the first video, it was the fighter who stopped the fight not the ref.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do and that is not always the wisest approuch to take.

No you don't. Your "should be grateful" comment missed the mark so hard most onlookers wouldn't even be able to tell what you were swinging at. Who are you to tell him what he should be grateful for? Especially an opponent he's fighting not wanting to fight anymore? As far as I can tell you know absolutely nothing about this guy - you don't know why he fights or what it means to him to compete to his heart's content.

Besides, I laid out 2 much, MUCH better approaches the white trunks guy could've taken (if the situation were different from what the backstory laid out, that is), that other fighters have taken before without eliciting any such argument as this, and the fight could have gone on. And some of those were cases where the beatings got FAR more severe than this before an alternate strategy was employed.

Reading the backstory I think what the white trunks guy did was somewhat understandable but I still have to be critical of comments like yours for various reasons.

This

and this

Misses the point.

Sorry, how did I miss the point? The guy I was responding to said the guy in the black trunks was a total noob and didn't belong in the cage, I was explaining to him why that wasn't true. There's a big difference between missing a point and disagreeing with it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That fight isn't the same as the one I posted. The guy was pressing the other guy, but many of those punches missed. In addition he was still responsive. My thoughts is that they other guy that hit the mat could have continued, just by how he hit the ground and went right into a solid and aware defense. He was even able to quickly get off the mat. This could have been one of those cases where the sound of the kick was harder than the actual kick. You also have to keep in mind that in the first video, it was the fighter who stopped the fight not the ref.

The fighter in my video was getting toweled up but still won the fight. In your video if the fight was allowed to continue the out classed fighter still may have won.

You don't beat a guy up for the first 30 seconds then quit because he is not in your league. That is demeaning.

You allow the other fighter to do what he came there to do. Even if he looses. It is better to loose a fight against a quality guy than get a charity victory.

Because it is not all about winning.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Misses the point. Sometimes it's not about winning. By the way the guy that you 2 keep saying could have made a comeback is the same guy that won the fight.

You would have to be very egocentric to consider that fight any sort of victory.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You look at guys who deal with loss well.

Here you have two completely different mindsets one accepts that you can loose mma fights. And one that doesn't really grasp that idea.

To try to bring this concept across to people is sometimes quite hard. It is not the ref. Or your camp,or the texture of the floor. Sometimes you loose. This is the risk you will face fighting people.