Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fallen Ninja said:
Man, that sucks!

Check back later!! HA HA!

:ninja:

I did. I saw one video, and the bandwith was gone again.

Honestly, i couldnt make a judgement from the video because it SEEMED to me that the Uke was stopping to let the defender wrap the cord around his arms, so there were HUGE pauses where the defender would have been killed by the swordsman, BUT that could also have been a product of the slow-mo camera work... or maybe the video clip was of the guy learning so it had to be done that way... so I just dunno.

OP
Fallen Ninja

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the videos fine... maybe I should stop looking at them so much. I really like the music.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly, i couldnt make a judgement from the video ...

or maybe the video clip was of the guy learning so it had to be done that way... so I just dunno.

I have seen the videos before. I too would not pass any judgment. Just like pictures they can be very deceiving so I refuse to pass any judgment because I am in no position to do so.

With that being said, it did look like they were filming a class, so I think it was done in that fashion. Remember everyone is learning.

In all honesty, what you see today that looks good, may not look very good to you in a year. A person's videos and pictures are just a snapshot from a very specific time in their life.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
In all honesty, what you see today that looks good, may not look very good to you in a year. A person's videos and pictures are just a snapshot from a very specific time in their life.

Amen!!!

I hate looking at -- or knowing anyone ELSE may be looking at -- anything I'm doing on video that's more than 6 months old when viewed, because more than 6 months prior to whatever moment I'm in I didn't understand anything yet.

OP
Fallen Ninja

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now what if that is all you offer. And how can you be sure that quality info is represented. That is why I wish someone would look at them and review from just a spectators view point. In fact we should have a thread just for that. We put up videos of different schools and we evaluate from what they have represented.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see that idea easily turning into a flamewar. I don't have a problem with dojo or individuals voluntarily linking their own vids here, but posting someone else's vids would only lead to trouble, not to mention copyright/permissions issues.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fallen Ninja said:
Now what if that is all you offer. And how can you be sure that quality info is represented. That is why I wish someone would look at them and review from just a spectators view point. In fact we should have a thread just for that. We put up videos of different schools and we evaluate from what they have represented.

Honestly man, I dont like offering too much Technical Critique on Photos or Video... Not that I am in a position to crtique much, but some things even I can see when they are obvious. The problem with that is you dont know the situation or intent of the clip/photo.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nowadays I pretty much base my judgement on matters such as these by how the people on the clips use their lower bodies.

Dustin

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey you guys! It's my website you guys are looking at and if you don't mind I'd really like to hear what you guys think. I'm only a sandan so I could alway use some constructive criticism. All of footage is just us training during class, there not like demonstrations or anything. I just had a lot people interested in just wanting to see what training was like in the dojo for the website. Thank so far on the compliments and advice.

Oh and sorry about the bandwidth, I'm in the process of getting a new page made that is a lot better and better bandwidth.

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not gonna offer you advice because im a 9th kyu who hasn't trained in a few months, so im not qualified to do so, plus i've only been training off and on since 02 or 03. I will state some observations, though, just based on my personal opinion. My opinion is however valid you view it to be. I've studied fighting in general a lot longer than i've studied BBT, so this is where my views are coming from. Anyway, The Ukemi was good. I dig the drills, especially diving over the chair and grabbing the weapons. Not quite enough committed contact for my tastes as far as the atemi goes, but to each his own. I'm used to atemi training where, if you didn't get out of the way in time, you would most definitely get hit, and get hit however hard your parter punched from the beginning. No pulling punches. Perhaps you guys do that too, but i just didn't see it in the video.

The grappling was pretty good. I saw a few instances where the uke sort of went down a little too easy, and a few instances where it appeared that larger joints(elbow, etc..) were being manipulated with what would be brute strength in actual application, rather than body mechanics and motion. I viewed the video twice, so i may have seen that wrong, but that's just what it appeared. In any case, it's good that you have videos of actual training instead of promotional videos of people doing rehearsed training in streams and waterfalls and whatnot. I enjoyed the videos and i realize whatever things that can be improved are just part of training, and that the training is there to train away that stuff. The videos are good examples of exactly what training is.....a work in progress.

Cheers

Dustin

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much I really appreciate that. I think that it's important that we recieve advice from everyone in the bujinkan. Sometimes we tend to allow our ego's to get in the way and when we recieve "gentle" constructive critism we need to take it and use it. We are all students and students who are guiding one another down a path that we've come to call Soke's Taijutsu. Yet, at the same time we must becareful and be respectful at the same time. Just know and understand our place, and as Soke says, "If I write this in this manner, will it produce a problem or not?", I believe the same goes for the things we say. We are all in this together. I really appreciate all the kind and constructive comments.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few years ago, I trained with a group that posted several videos. Some were serious training clips, and several were humorous ("public service announcements," parodies of the SRS video featuring Bujinkan training). Our pat response to anyone who criticized them was, "Where are yours?"

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will toss in my two cents and try to look like an expert.

The middle clip in the first few seconds there is a technique. The right arm makes a big, visible movement. Too big and too visible. Think about it and think about how you could control the attacking limb while still getting the same result.

Hope I did not offend.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Honestly, i couldnt make a judgement from the video because it SEEMED to me that the Uke was stopping to let the defender wrap the cord around his arms, so there were HUGE pauses where the defender would have been killed by the swordsman, BUT that could also have been a product of the slow-mo camera work...

It was interesting to see the type of techniques, and I understand it was from training. I had similar thoughts--wide strikes and long pauses--but if people are just learning the techniques then that may well have been appropriate.