Bat or knife - greatest chance of fatality during an attack

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't forget to also tell the next person you see with a slashed throat that he's lucky his attacker didn't decide break his legs with a baseball bat. After all, a slashed carotid isn't at all life threatening like you said.

Are you trying to be an *** about this? Dirty Dog actually works in an ER, and has extensive experience seeing the actual results of trauma. He's never said a slashed carotid wouldn't be fatal... just that it doesn't come about all that often. Kind of makes sense, or you'd think that there'd have been tons of deaths that way over the years. I've personally seen a guy whose throat was slashed leave the hospital within about 36 hours. He had a cut about 4 or 5 inches long, so big that that the ER surgeon just used it to place the tracheotomy stuff... and he woke up, and identified his assailant. Granted, that was at a Level III trauma center that's probably one of the best in the country -- but slashed throats aren't necessarily fatal.

Blunt force trauma, whether delivered via baseball bat or car crash, can indeed be fatal, in a number of ways. Hitting a home run on someone's skull is only the most obvious... Internal bleeding due to trauma to the torso, compound fractures to limbs or broken limbs damaging blood vessels, spinal injury... those among other ways a baseball bat attack can do serious or fatal harm.

I tried to look in Crime in the US, but they don't have it immediately and obviously broken down by knife/cutting injuries vs. blunt force. And, honestly, I'm not spending several hours digging the numbers out. Suffice to say that either means can cause fatal injuries, and that you need to understand that about them.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep this conversation civil.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Assistant Administrator

StreetReady

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I tried to look in Crime in the US, but they don't have it immediately and obviously broken down by knife/cutting injuries vs. blunt force. And, honestly, I'm not spending several hours digging the numbers out. Suffice to say that either means can cause fatal injuries, and that you need to understand that about them.

Which is what I've been saying. I simply stated my opinion that I feel a knife is more deadly than a bat if it came down to numbers. What part of this aren't you people getting? I'm not going to sit here all day and try to explain myself. You're entitled to your opinion just as I am to mine. Call it whatever you'd like, but dirty dog and I both agreed that a knife is more deadly to a degree.

He just said carotid artery attacks with a knife seem silly, just as I am saying a baseball bat to the leg seems silly. I doubt you've done either to a person. But if I had to mention numbers, I'd say more people probably would probably likely die from knife attack to the throat than a baseball bat to the leg.

Either way, I'm done with this thread...said all I needed, you either get me or you don't. See you on the next topic.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
both have the same lethal potential... however I would say the defense against the bat would be a bit easier... again to many variables! I would tend to give the blade an edge ( no pun intended) in general... I think its harder to evade and easier to conceal, but both will kill.

Now training can change that... a staff is not a bat, but very deadly. a good batter would have a good feel for the distance and all... the same can be said for the blade and some training.

Latest Discussions