basics

M

Mon Mon

how important are the Basics to your training ie Kihon San Shin and Ukemi not to mention punching and kicking?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, Ukemi is very important. It is sometimes refered to as break falls, rolls, land leaps.

From an Akido website:
Ukemi can be literally translated as “to receive with or through the body.” If you are Uke, you are the one attacking and then being thrown or pinned. Ukemi thus involves learning how to take the throws and pins without being injured. Ukemi is strongly emphasized in this dojo not only for safety purposes (you must learn how to protect yourself and fall safely), but also because it is a way to learn Aikido techniques from the inside-out. Ukemi is about staying connected, engaged and committed. It cultivates a sensitivity to constantly shifting attacks and attackers. It helps you to develop a strong center. Ukemi is not easy to learn especially as one gets older, but if you hang in there the rewards will become in quickly evident. For many students, taking ukemi on the mat helps them to deal with the constant demands of daily life off the mat.

I'm not familiar with "Kihon San Shin". What is this?
:asian:

OP
S

Silent Nightfall

I believe that what was meant to be said, but was instead shortened was Sanshin No Kata, Kihon Happo, Ukemi, etc. To me, all of these things are fundamental to my training as they should be for all practitioners. These things are the basics of our art yet take years to truly understand. Through them we learn how to move and to flow, among other vital things. I haven't done one solo session of training wherein I did not practice one or all of these things to some extent. But then again, that's just me and my two yen.

OP
S

Swordsman

Hi There,

In my training the Kihon Happo and The SanShin are extreamly important. These are the basis of all other techniques that we will learn. Soke Hatsumi has said take the Sanshin and Kihon happo and make 8 variations of eaach then take those 8 and make 8 more and so on. You now have a endless stream of techniques to use.

As for Ukemi it is a all incompasing skill. It obviously what can save you if thrown but it is also a way of escaping throws and locks as well as a way of attack.

All these skills should be practiced regularly along with Shinobi no happo sabaki as footwork is the key to winning any battle

Thats my two cents.

Thanks

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Swordsman
As for Ukemi it is a all incompasing skill. It obviously what can save you if thrown but it is also a way of escaping throws and locks as well as a way of attack.

Yes, too few people realize that you can use it to roll out of locks and such. They think of it as a necessary part of training, like holding a kicking shield for your partner or something--something you learn so your partner can practice his techniques.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Ukemi, more to the point, is how to receive. This is a very broad idea...very vague.

Sanshin no Kata is extremely important in learning how to move the body as a whole. This is necessary in everything that is done in Taijutsu.

Kihon Happo...rather then thinking in the realm of "8"...tip the 8 over and work from there...

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell
Ukemi, more to the point, is how to receive. This is a very broad idea...very vague.

YES...this is exactly what Ukemi is. The ability on how you receive an attack. It is not just rolling, breakfall etc. Which is what a LOT of people think it is all about..just forward rolling, backward rolling etc.

What is really going on is that you are "receiving" an attack, dealing with it and "escaping it" or countering the attack.

During training with Sean Askew Shihan, we worked on "hidden ukemi" where we learned not only how to receive the attacks but counter as well. This was a real eye opener for me at the time!

Sanshin is important to train you body the "flow". Learning and feeling how you move back into kamae, shift forward into kamae, attack from and into kamae and finally doing it ALL OVER again repeatedly until you **** is worn out! :)

Kihon Happo is Kihon Happo. In order to understand the movements and the "core" of all techniques within the Bujinkan, the Kihon Happo must be perfected and understood. Unfortunately people see these as just a series of movements and NOT a base element for all techniques to grow from. Take the most advanced technique you know...break it down piece by piece, then break it down more...when you get to the "core" of that technique...it is going to be Kihon Happo!

All skills above are an important factor in learning and understanding what it is all about. So go beyond the movements and feel it. Once this has been done...it will fall in place slowly but surely. I know..I am getting there myself.

~Deaf~

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kihon Happo is very very important... you see it (or a Henka) in almost every technique! (well, at least at my rank) So having a good foundation in the Kihon is really important

OP
M

Mon Mon

I think that i side more with the jinenkan groups ideas on movements and the techniuqes.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mon Mon
I think that i side more with the jinenkan groups ideas on movements and the techniuqes.

Care to elaborate on that? I'm not familiar with their ideas on movements and techniques.

OP
M

Mon Mon

this is from my VERY limitied understanding but the Jinenkan places great importance on polishing the basics and continuing to improve on them. They are also a big stickler when it comes to teaching the techniques that are in the order of the scrolls. Basically the Jinenkan teaches it the same way Hatsumi did 30 years ago and that is all i know since i have never trained with them personally. :asian:

Latest Discussions