Basic vs Advanced?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you try techniques on your training partner the advanced ones get a bigger 'ouch' and more swear words ? :)

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
From personal experience: kicking above knee height=advanced

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The person demonstrating the technique? A block is just a block same thing with strike but someone with knoledge can take a technique and make it advanced. Like practicing forms. If you tell a green belt and a black belt to practice a simple form they might even know well. You will still be able to tell the difference. Im not sure how correct my answer is but thats what I think (I could be wrong)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From personal experience: kicking above knee height=advanced

Not necessarily as there are specific kicks for the knee and thigh in some styles which aren't taught to beginners.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In regard to technique, I feel the term "advanced" doesn't necessarily mean or equate to "better" or "more effective". It simply means more is required of one to utilize it in an effective manner. There is more complexity in the combined factors of range, movement, timing, and structure... etc.

With that, the term "basic" doesn't necessarily equate to "inferior".
There's a good reason why fundamentals are introduced first and then honed.

I believe beginners need less complex movement/s and timing to not only learn and master, but to have something to rely on that is effective under stress and the more advanced practitioners are simply those who have ingrained the basics thoroughly enough that the lessons of power, distance, speed, timing and technique can be recalled quickly, naturally and repeatedly under said stress. That said, training the basics (the fundamentals) means never shirking them in order to skip forward to those techniques which may seem flashier.

Good practitioners...whether novices or experts...never overlook the fundamentals of what they do. Advanced is the ability to appropriately apply the fundamental movements in many different situations.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The advanced ones are the the ones you learn after you know the basic ones. I mean, really, it totally depends on the style and the curriculum of the school you're training at. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In regard to Technique: What is the difference in Basic and Advanced?
For "front kick":

Basic level: A front kick is just to "use your foot to hit on your opponent's body". You may only have a "micro view" at this point of your training.
Advance level: A front kick can be used to "jam your opponent's leg, "close the distance", and "set up another attack". You start to have "macro view" at this point of your training.

Last edited:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not think in terms of advanced or basic techniques but rather techniques are preformed from a personal skill level being basic or advanced. Or maybe I could say that it is not the technique but rather the performer that is basic or advanced.
I would then ask, how is a technique preformed in an advanced manner? And my answer would be similar to Danny T.
Better timing, complexity of coordination, refined muscle memory and the ability to execute refined actions under the stress of combat.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For "front kick":

Basic level: A front kick is just to "use your foot to hit on your opponent's body". You may only have a "micro view" at this point of your training.
Advance level: A front kick can be used to "jam your opponent's leg, "close the distance", and "set up another attack". You start to have "macro view" at this point of your training.

Exactly,
For a basic side kick, a proper chamber, and extension, followed by re-chamber and placing the foot in the starting position.

And an advanced sidekick would be a sliding leap off of the rear leg while at the same time chambering and extending the front leg's heel (or blade) into your target, then recovering.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For Jow Ga the basic techniques are less complex and they often provide the foundation for which advanced techniques are learned. The advanced techniques can be complex either in form or application or both. Sometimes a basic form will contain basic and advanced techniques. The advanced techniques come from having a deeper understanding of the basic techniques.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told years ago that an advanced technique is just a basic technique done well... Or that it's a combination of basics done well.

But, lately, I've been rethinking things, and sort of stripping stuff down. So maybe an advanced technique is a streamlined basic technique... which may lead to eliminating the whole idea of techniques...

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I see the difference between basic and advanced being the level of fundamental prerequisite knowledge/training. Basic techniques are those used to gain/learn the fundamentals. Advanced techniques are those that can not be learning/performed properly without first learning the basic techniques.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We all learn fundamentals. In a lot of arts we do them thousands and thousands of times. What starts out as a basic movement becomes advanced. To this we can add our character. Students both young and old still work on the same thing in an aim for a perfection they will never reach.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The advanced ones are the the ones you learn after you know the basic ones. I mean, really, it totally depends on the style and the curriculum of the school you're training at. :)
Would you be willing to give an example. I understand what your saying as to depending on the style and curriculum as to what may be considered advanced. But is it really advanced. Looking at a form for instance there are systems that have 'advanced' forms but the form itself is no more advance in nature than lower level forms it is considered advance only because it is taught later in system. The techniques within the form can be basic or advanced as with any form.

I was told years ago that an advanced technique is just a basic technique done well... Or that it's a combination of basics done well.

But, lately, I've been rethinking things, and sort of stripping stuff down. So maybe an advanced technique is a streamlined basic technique... which may lead to eliminating the whole idea of techniques...
I don't like using the term technique much. I prefer application potential. Technique is really nothing more than movement and positions. What makes that advanced is how does one use the movements and positions.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Would you be willing to give an example. I understand what your saying as to depending on the style and curriculum as to what may be considered advanced. But is it really advanced. Looking at a form for instance there are systems that have 'advanced' forms but the form itself is no more advance in nature than lower level forms it is considered advance only because it is taught later in system. The techniques within the form can be basic or advanced as with any form.

I don't like using the term technique much. I prefer application potential. Technique is really nothing more than movement and positions. What makes that advanced is how does one use the movements and positions.

While true...at the same time, some techniques cannot be separated from the application context of using them. But the technique in and of itself cannot give a practitioner the application "how to" knowledge.

Basic or Advanced, this is still the same.

For the advanced "how to" application knowledge, that comes to the practitioner from sources like instruction from teachers & experience or even intuition working in harmony with body awareness.