Bashing ?

K

Knifehand

regardless of creed, ethic, association or the like... people will always be people. :EG:
Opinions are the most dangerous thing a person can own and one of the most precious.

Personally, i've made it a point to no talk about any other style than TSD and always to talk from a TSD point of view because its the only style i've ever known. I hate sounding ignorant and what have you. This doesn't work for everyone, but it saves me a lot of "hate mail"

Every MA has its use. but everyone has their own opinion on what being in a MA means. But it is your opinion, not mine... not anyone else but yours... people may agree with you, but be prepared for disagreements.

That opinion, on what a MA means, influences your view of other Martial arts. TSD is a mix of SD, competition, internal and external development. not slotted for one area or another... some people take issue with this... Traditionalists, Like myself, like the idea of a historical background, but i'm not opposed to the newer martial arts out there... they all have their uses.

Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest of violence.
Francis Jeffrey (1773 - 1850)

The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge.Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
ppko said:
There may be, but if you look at it like this, fueds have been happening in the Martial Arts for forever, much like religion you will never get the fueds to stop.
That is the best comparison because they are both ideologies that have many different variations on...and none too well understood by the followers (partly because the 'leaders' don't always articulate/codify or explain it well themselves) and gets another layer of 'spin' on it.....

I mean really: How many people 'learn about what martial arts really is about' from sources like Karate Kid movies, the Matrix..... and not really from their instructor or training time? I know as an early student, much of what I thought martial arts was 'really about' was based on inspirational/parable stories and such. My training time was mainly about me learning how to control my movement/emotions and eyes (to avoid ogling the female students or scowling at those students that I 'hated because they were better than me'.....) NOT about lectures or direct instruction on character.

character was one of those things that was explained through expectations and the upholding of standards: "You do not swear in class, it is disrespectful" was the expectation. If I swore in class, I got 'corrected' and the rules were reinforced. If I did it again, I was held accountable (punished somehow, push ups...what ever).

There wasn't a lot of 'Now, Paul, in order to be a good person....."

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Bashing? It is always easier to find fault in others, Why can't we see ours? Oh I forgot we don't have any? .......Aloha

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Bashing? It is always easier to find fault in others, Why can't we see ours? Oh I forgot we don't have any? .......Aloha
Hello Still Learning I do have faults in myself and I learn everyday something new. As I was the one starting this post I take your comment personally. I was referring why as a MA community can we not except different points of views without directing negatively about someone Art wheather TKD or Kung Fu or EPAK we have to learn from each other to be able to grow to true enlightment and if you do not believe in true enlightment than I'm sorry. I hope your cup will always be full in life.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
That is the best comparison because they are both ideologies that have many different variations on...and none too well understood by the followers (partly because the 'leaders' don't always articulate/codify or explain it well themselves) and gets another layer of 'spin' on it.....

I mean really: How many people 'learn about what martial arts really is about' from sources like Karate Kid movies, the Matrix..... and not really from their instructor or training time? I know as an early student, much of what I thought martial arts was 'really about' was based on inspirational/parable stories and such. My training time was mainly about me learning how to control my movement/emotions and eyes (to avoid ogling the female students or scowling at those students that I 'hated because they were better than me'.....) NOT about lectures or direct instruction on character.

character was one of those things that was explained through expectations and the upholding of standards: "You do not swear in class, it is disrespectful" was the expectation. If I swore in class, I got 'corrected' and the rules were reinforced. If I did it again, I was held accountable (punished somehow, push ups...what ever).

There wasn't a lot of 'Now, Paul, in order to be a good person....."
Thank you and good post

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bashment is not only ego, but a way to get more $$$$. Bashing should not be misconstrued as "constrcutive criticism" or a matter of personal opinion. How do you separate all of these?

Latest Discussions