Baseball pitcher charged with hitting his wife

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
So while I find domestic violence horrible, I have to ask to we react first and ahve people loose their jobs, or do we wait for the court system to decide and then have the employer follow up on their own policies?

I think it depends on the job. Every employer has the right to make certain policies in regards to employee behavior on the job. Ideally, I think it's likely best that certain professions suspend their employees or put them in an alternative position until the legal system has played out.

For instance: someone who works in law enforcement who comes up on charges of assault and battery in a domestic situation should likely be put on a desk job until the matter is resolved. A grocery store clerk, well ... they work with the public.

In the case of a professional sports figure, it could be argued that they train their bodies hard (and sometimes illegally), they are public figures which children watch and emulate, yada yada yada. Some people might say it's a matter of morality and decency in the cases where the victim winds up in the hospital for the employer to take a social stand. Then again, is that their business?

From an employer point of view, this makes sense because you truly can never know what someone is capable of. There may be extenuating circumstances which required a use of force and that should be dealt with in a court of law.

It's not fair that someone's career can get ruined by false claims ... but then life is far from fair.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I think it depends on the job. Every employer has the right to make certain policies in regards to employee behavior on the job. Ideally, I think it's likely best that certain professions suspend their employees or put them in an alternative position until the legal system has played out.

For instance: someone who works in law enforcement who comes up on charges of assault and battery in a domestic situation should likely be put on a desk job until the matter is resolved. A grocery store clerk, well ... they work with the public.

In the case of a professional sports figure, it could be argued that they train their bodies hard (and sometimes illegally), they are public figures which children watch and emulate, yada yada yada. Some people might say it's a matter of morality and decency in the cases where the victim winds up in the hospital for the employer to take a social stand. Then again, is that their business?

From an employer point of view, this makes sense because you truly can never know what someone is capable of. There may be extenuating circumstances which required a use of force and that should be dealt with in a court of law.

It's not fair that someone's career can get ruined by false claims ... but then life is far from fair.

So, it is good to have a policy in place.

But whose fault is it if the company does not have one? Is it the individual? Or the company?

Making ones displeasure known is a good way of getting things/values changed.

So is there a policy that all companies should put into place?

Or is this a case where the type of job and company would need to put into specific policies?

Should there be a Federal LAw or Mandate? Or should there be a state by state resolution?

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brett Myers is pitching in Philadelphia tonight for the first time since his arrest. He was supposed to pitch yesterday, but the game got rained out.

I'm planning to attend the game. And yes, I will BOO his brains out too...

Latest Discussions