Balancing WC with gymnastic bodyweight training?

Colibri

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Howdy guys!
I've recently started taking up gymnastic bodyweight training, 4x a week. The problem is, I don't know how to balance this with my WC training. Especially since I might have a job soon.

I train in WC in my kwoon once a week and during the week, try to get in different bits of training like SLT work, footwork, etc.

I want to aim for as much WC training as I can each day. How often do you guys train? I've been doing WC now for just over a year.

Would it be worth it to get up an hour earlier to do SLT each day?

Thanks guys.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Howdy guys!
I've recently started taking up gymnastic bodyweight training, 4x a week. The problem is, I don't know how to balance this with my WC training. Especially since I might have a job soon.

I train in WC in my kwoon once a week and during the week, try to get in different bits of training like SLT work, footwork, etc.

I want to aim for as much WC training as I can each day. How often do you guys train? I've been doing WC now for just over a year.

Would it be worth it to get up an hour earlier to do SLT each day?

Thanks guys.

Mate , your just going to have to do what everybody else does and do what you can , when you can.

It would certainly be worth it to get up early and do SLT for an hour , but if your anything like me that sort of regime would get old very quickly and be very hard to maintain especially after a big night out on the Guinness.

Just keep mixing it up like you've been doing , bit of form , bit of pivoting , bit of stepping that will keep it fresh and stop it from becoming a bit of a chore , maybe get yourself a wall bag if you haven't got one or a heavy bag at least.

As for my training , I teach private students so while I am teaching I am also training with them, that goes for 90mins.
In my solo practice it can vary from taking just 15 mins to do the three empty hand forms or sometimes an hour which encompasses everything from forms , wall bag training , heavy bag , standing practice , pivoting , and techniques.

I like to train in the early evening that's when I feel the most relaxed.
But this is by no means a strict regime , it depends on what else is on , sometimes I might want to train but the missus will want to go somewhere , so wife wins as they always do.

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score
i really wish i could train everyday...but i just cant seem to get the time in. You would think that I would be able to fit in an hour a day but its sometimes hard to....sucks but you have to train as much as you can and when you can. You dont want it to be boring, you dont want your training to be stale. I personally like training 2-3 times a week, anywhere from 15 minutes of stance work to 90 minutes of forms, heavy bag work, stretches or just studying my notes when i have free time. I play the forms out in my head and play out how they work when i get a few minutes to myself during the day almsot like "mini movies" in my head....childish but it really helps me.

do what ya can, thats whats important
happy training :)

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
. . . . I train in WC in my kwoon once a week and during the week, try to get in different bits of training like SLT work, footwork, etc.

Are you serious, once a week? Learning Wing Chun is like learning to drive a car, or playing pool, or becoming a pro basketball player. The more you practice, the better your skills. If you were just starting to learn how to play basketball, and only went out once a week for an hour each time, how long would it take you to get proficient and become a professional basketball player? A long time.

Same thing with Wing Chun, at once a week, it would take you about 15 years to get any reasonable skills. And even then, you might not be any good at it. The rate you're training is like 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. What you learn in one class, half of it is lost by the time you get to the next class. So you have to relearn it all over again.

My Sifu likes to tease us sometimes about students who have been in Wing Chun for 20 years, but only been to about 20 or 30 classes over the 20 years. You can't learn or be proficient at anything training like that.

. . . I want to aim for as much WC training as I can each day. How often do you guys train? I've been doing WC now for just over a year.

Everyday I do something. You need to find someone in the kwoon who would like to work out with you as often as possible outside of class. Once a week is nowhere near enough time to actually develop any useful skills.

. . . .Would it be worth it to get up an hour earlier to do SLT each day?

YES! ! ! Do SNT several times a day. SNT is the nucleus of the system, just about everything comes from this form.

So you don't have a job, but you can't find the time to train Wing Chun each day? And you gymnastics bodyweight train 4x a week? How bad do you want the Wing Chun? As bad as the gymnastics training? Life is about making sacrifices, you have to sacrifice this for that. You want more Wing Chun, cut down on the gymnastics training. Or cut down on something else. If you can't then you shouldn't complain about not getting the time to train Wing Chun.

Last edited:

WCman1976

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey Colibri,

I agree with what was said above: get in training whenever you can. I work at a sedentary desk job, but I still get in practice when I can. If I go to photocopy something, I get in my stance at the copier. When I sit at my desk I will practice hand techniques throughout the day. Sometimes when I am walking back to my desk, I will even practice my kicks...not full force, but reaching my foot out to lightly tap something (a chair, the leg of table, etc.) just to make sure I'm gauging the distance for my kick properly. Then I will practice my forms on breaks and lunch. I don't care if people look at me funny: those who choose to remain ignorant will snicker...those who want to gain knowledge will ask what I am doing. Unfortunately due to my work hours I am unable to go to class and get better at chi sao with anyone, but at least I have the forms to do.

As for weigh training, be careful with that! You say you will be doing four days a week. I'm sure you are training with someone who made you aware not to train all four days in a row. Your muscles need the rest. As for me, I'm doing a hyrbid of two workout programs that are fairly well-known: P90X and Insanity. I do six days a week: odd-numbered days are weightlifting, even-numbered days are cardio. Some people believe weight training will slow you down, but from my own experience I haven't had that happen. However, I WILL say the cardio has benefited me a little more. I know this from having attended class and watching all my other WC brothers and sisters having to stop and catch their breath while I was still ready to go and barely even sweating!

Good luck to you, and I hope my post helps. Keep in mind I know what works for me won't work for you. I am certainly no wing chun master or fitness guru. I'm just describing what has worked for me.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started the P90X for some time but got a bit boring.
Like others on the forum, I train in the evening, waking up is enough of a challenge.
I do a bit of an extra work out before, during and after training.
4 times a week gymnastics sounds like the problem imo.

Latest Discussions