Balancing Stool

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure I could do a one-legged stance on the wobble board they use in PT here, but that stool would give me something to work with. I might put that on my "someday in the wood shop" list...
As a part of my knee replacement PT I used a wobble board with a virtual screen. Had to navigate a ball around the virtual board into a particular hole in the board. The virtual board would tilt in conjunction with the wobble ball. Started off on two legs and advanced to standing on one leg. Tough in that not only having to balance yourself you are having to move that damn ball into the correct hole on the board!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a part of my knee replacement PT I used a wobble board with a virtual screen. Had to navigate a ball around the virtual board into a particular hole in the board. The virtual board would tilt in conjunction with the wobble ball. Started off on two legs and advanced to standing on one leg. Tough in that not only having to balance yourself you are having to move that damn ball into the correct hole on the board!
That's a pretty interesting approach. It takes the exercise beyond just balance and into conscious control, too - probably more applicable for MAist that way.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a pretty interesting approach. It takes the exercise beyond just balance and into conscious control, too - probably more applicable for MAist that way.
I have people do similar stuff for rehab. I use a bosu ball, which is basically a half an exercise ball on a flat plastic board. Or I use an airex pad which is a heavy foam block like a pillow. Airex is easier. I’d have them balance on one foot, throw balls against the wall (on one foot), move the non-weight bearing leg like the alphabet, etc.

If you want to do stuff like that and don’t want to buy stuff, use a couch cushion. Stand on it and do kicks, alphabet, etc.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think it was just for me being a MAist. There were several others doing the same exercise as a part of their PT as well.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have people do similar stuff for rehab. I use a bosu ball, which is basically a half an exercise ball on a flat plastic board. Or I use an airex pad which is a heavy foam block like a pillow. Airex is easier. I’d have them balance on one foot, throw balls against the wall (on one foot), move the non-weight bearing leg like the alphabet, etc.

If you want to do stuff like that and don’t want to buy stuff, use a couch cushion. Stand on it and do kicks, alphabet, etc.
I have my wing chun students stand on an old cushion with one leg and do punching drills or front kicks & side kicks.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have my wing chun students stand on an old cushion with one leg and do punching drills or front kicks & side kicks.
Mattresses would probably work well too. I just got new mattresses for my daughters yesterday. I’m going to try it out on one of the old ones. If it works well, I’ll keep one in the basement.

I’ll report back if anyone’s interested.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was just for me being a MAist. There were several others doing the same exercise as a part of their PT as well.
Oh, I wasn't saying they'd only do it for MAists - I just think the conscious control fits our practice particularly well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mattresses would probably work well too. I just got new mattresses for my daughters yesterday. I’m going to try it out on one of the old ones. If it works well, I’ll keep one in the basement.

I’ll report back if anyone’s interested.
Really thick mats work, too. At an NGA gathering about 15 years ago, they brought in the mats from the hombu. I'm pretty sure they were homemade, and must have been 4" thick.

Latest Discussions