Balancing Stool

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This really isn't in motion, but it was taught to me by my last Wing Chun teacher. So, not my idea but my BF built me one out of aluminum. It really helps focus the muscles to better balance oneself. I'm not as good as my teacher at this because he's done it for many hours through the years. But I'm able to hold it through a very long song. I like to listen to tunes, it helps me focus better for some reason.

In this session, be aware, 1 hour before, I had done cardio on the cycle so my legs are already jello. I'm struggling a bit here but I'm usually better if I'm working fresh.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Stand with your feet on the floor
Do a real slow front kick
Then with the same leg, without touching the floor, do a real slow back kick
Then take that leg, from back to front, in an ark around to your side to another front kick position
Bring leg down to the ground
Do same with other leg

Don't remember if I got that directly from Bruce Lee's book "Chinese Gung Fu: The Philosophical Art of Self-Defense" or if after reading that book I got the idea for it

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Then take that leg, from back to front, in an ark around to your side to another front kick position
Do same with other leg

Don't remember if I got that directly from Bruce Lee's book "Chinese Gung Fu: The Philosophical Art of Self-Defense" or if after reading that book I got the idea for it

Lol, was just a demonstration. Are usually work to go for the longest time I can achieve.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A perfect example of proprioception.

Nicely done, Skye.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do same with other leg

All good, ;) Actually, done that a few times, not in the same order lol. It's way more challenging. Haven't perfected it, but I have to admit, I don't use the stool as much as I should either.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Single leg balance training is always good. To use single leg hopping uphill can be a god training.

Don't know if I'm going to do that anytime soon, although, I look like a fool skipping while I'm on the treadmill at the gym. Kinda like jump roping.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do same with other leg

We did a lot of that at the old dojo. We included a side kick, as well.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We can't really see the balancing stool. What's the nature of the tool?

Sorry ..I knew that would come up. That's why I included a photo in the beginning. It's basically a step stool with a rounded "blade-like" support legs-not sure what to call it. I didn't realize the crop factor of the camera (which I should've) but didn't feel like re-shooting.

Attachments

• 20180427_101133.jpg
    20180427_101133.jpg
    893.8 KB · Views: 152

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry ..I knew that would come up. That's why I included a photo in the beginning. It's basically a step stool with a rounded "blade-like" support legs-not sure what to call it. I didn't realize the crop factor of the camera (which I should've) but didn't feel like re-shooting.
Well, if I'd paid more attention to the beginning, I'd have seen that. Not my fault I didn't. :p

It's essentially the same as a wobble board, but a wider arc (wobble board I've used has a ball underneath with an arc about 1/3 of that platform). That should expand the range of exercises most folks can do on it.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, if I'd paid more attention to the beginning, I'd have seen that. Not my fault I didn't. :p

It's essentially the same as a wobble board, but a wider arc (wobble board I've used has a ball underneath with an arc about 1/3 of that platform). That should expand the range of exercises most folks can do on it.

Lol, hey, whatever works.

OP
skyeisonfire

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's really no different, slightly but not that much more difficult. I'm presuming that's if you are already stable on a one legged stand on solid ground.

Latest Discussions