Bag work

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Was just wondering how many of you routinely work out on a heavy punching bag? If so, what things do you like to do and how many repetitions? Looking for new ideas........Thanks!!

:asian: :karate:

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to practice my kenpo techniques on the heavy bag.

D

Disco

At least once a week we do time drills.

How many can you do:
Punches - 1 minute
Kicks - 30 seconds
Elbow strikes - 30 seconds
Knee strikes - 30 seconds
Knife hand strikes - 30 seconds

Then for 2 minutes (non-stop) any combinations you want, but no repeating the same technique.

Have somebody time and count and keep trying to see how you can increase the numbers. Very good cardio workout and it will show you where you are weak.
:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a circuit boxing room in our school where I teach kickboxing classes so I routinly do bag work.

I work on the bags three times a week for 30 min and twice a week for 45 min. I do 1000 kicks and punches in the 30 min, and the 45 min I seperate into circuit rounds on each bag. We have 13 different stations of bags.

7sm

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Shodan
Was just wondering how many of you routinely work out on a heavy punching bag? If so, what things do you like to do and how many repetitions? Looking for new ideas........Thanks!!

:asian: :karate:

Unfortunatly, not enough, but when I do it I do 20 minutes straight.:asian:

S

Shinzu

i like to do round, side, and back kicks along with jabs and cross punches.

A

Astra

Thai pads - punches, elbows, knees, uppercuts and then bigger shields for all of the above + kicks.

I also have an old wooden door in my yard which I slowly break by using stomp kicks and punches on it :)

Sessions vary, from 5-30 mins depending on when I'm doing them (before/after training) and how agressively. (5 minutes straight full blasting at a pad is no laughing matter ;) )

I don't use heavy bags a lot.