Your favorite sparring moves?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What are your favorite sparring moves? Why do you like these particular moves?

What weaknesses do you often see in your sparring partners? What do you do to take advantage of these weaknesses?
- Ceicei

P

progressivetactics

i like to lightly touch the heel of my opponent in a fake sweep, and blast down center line.....

Always seems to work pretty well for me.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am a big fan of a lightening fast backfist (or jab) and a razor sharp sidekick! Lead hand helps to neutralize the other guys techniques, sidekick helps control distance!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
one weakness in sparring partners is throwing random techniques and hoping they get in rather than throwing educated or well thought out techniques or having a gameplan.

A

A.R.K.

I like to shoot forward with a two-handed forearm block into the bicep and collar bone, then right vertical elbow to the jaw, right hammer fist down into the nose, left horizontal elbow to head, then grab and knee spike several times till he's incapacitated!

:asian:

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.R.K.
I like to shoot forward with a two-handed forearm block into the bicep and collar bone, then right vertical elbow to the jaw, right hammer fist down into the nose, left horizontal elbow to head, then grab and knee spike several times till he's incapacitated!

You would do that in a sparring match???

:btg:

- Ceicei

A

A.R.K.

Only against DAC cuase he's a big sucker :D

Seriously no, not for sparring. Thats a 'take em out' move.

A

Angus

And a "good luck actually getting it all in successfully" move! ;)

Seriously, I don't necessarily have a set favorite sparring move, although there are definitely some things I use more than others. I just make sure I do lots of combos that are set up properly. Different stuff works on different people, so I always TRY (however successfully or not) to base what I do on the person I'm sparring and how they move.

A

A.R.K.

And a "good luck actually getting it all in successfully" move!

Actually I wouldn't have posted it if I hadn't used it successfully. However, the individual is usually incapacitated by the time the knee spikes are coming into play.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by progressivetactics
i like to lightly touch the heel of my opponent in a fake sweep, and blast down center line.....

Always seems to work pretty well for me.

Me too!:)

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Fade-in Side kick, round kick followed with a back-fist.

S

Senfeng

My techniques tend to change per sparring partner and per situation. Sometimes, I find that I'm not doing a particular thing very well, and I try to use sparring as a means to practice and correct that proble (I usually lose these bouts).

Fav. things to do
* I'm taking gung fu right now, so sometimes I'm through a couple TKD kicks to throw off my opponent
* If my opponent rushes in, sometimes I'll position my lead foot behind their's. I attack and force them back. When they start to retreat, I hook their lead foor with mine and attack their center line.
* Do a series of moves. Do the same series of moves, but change the ending.
* Change rhythm by altering timing between strikes or altering the direction of my movement or my target.

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"Hey Seigi, are you related to the well known Seig who frequents and haunts this MT board??? "

No i'm not.