Bad "Martial Arts"

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Thanks guys, way back a few years ago I did a little boxing myself. I admit, it seems that in the martial arts community there seems to be a lot more "politics" involved that in martial sport (boxing, mma, ect.) arena. At times it seems you have to tred softly (and that goes against some people's nature)until you get to know each other. Everybody is a product of their experience, and not everyone has had the same experiences in their martial arts journey.

Markulous, I wish you the best of luck in your training in the martial arts. I personally found it a lot more rewarding than boxing was,and had more to offer me from a self-defense standpoint. But I still find that I am still more comfortable with my hands than with my feet, unless I am using them to stand on. I am also not very comfortable on the ground. Some old habits are hard to break. :asian:

OP
C

clapping_tiger

7starmantis said:
Yes, in boxing everyone is doing pretty much the same thing. Yes, technically some may do things a little different, but a hook is a hook. In martial arts there are millions of techniques that some feel very strongly about. Other feel strongly that this certain technique is useless while another has used said technique to defeat his opponants 150 times. This is why there is so much division and paranoia involved in MA in general.

7sm
Touché. Hit the nail right on the head.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm... Copying this and that aside, there's also the question of the onlooker's motives. If he's clearly from another school and asking to sit in one class etc, there's always the chance he fancies himself some kinda kung fu flick action dude who's out to prove how really really great his style is against whatever dojo/dojang/kwoon/gym X happens to be teaching.

Dunno, but a potential no neck looking to prove how bad he is just doesn't really spark my info sharing neurons etc.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a person come into my school a year ago that just sat watching , he never said a word till class was over then he interduced himslef. He was a student of a different system from a couple of towns over. Now that really wasn't a suprise sence he did a slight bow when entering the training area and his knuckles looked like he was verry familar with the makawara.
He had heard we where there and wanted to see what we did befor decideing if he wanted to be a friend and/or even make the gesture of friendship. I have the feeling he may just have walked out if he didnt like what he saw. He is not the type of person to "close a school".
Being looked at by other martial artest is a factor of teaching. Sometimes you get new students , sometimes you make nw friends, sometimes you start studying a new style, other times you walk away shakeing your head wondering what the hell the guy thought he was doing and who in the world could belive the crap they where selling.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

I think you would have to at least question someones motives for wearing a shirt with another schools logo. Why would you do that? If you wanted them to know you've already got experience with another school, why couldn't you just have talked with the instructor afterwards about it. Perhaps your intentions weren't to cause problems, but it doesn't seem like you gave a whole lot of thought about the tactfulness of your visit. Maybe that instructor had an experience in the past where troublemakers came in before advertising their martial arts ability.

And in general, I don't understand not having an open door policy. How do people market their school if they don't let anyone in?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ty K. Doe said:
And in general, I don't understand not having an open door policy. How do people market their school if they don't let anyone in?
An open door policy is one thing, but letting a walkin off the street come in, jump on the mat, and start trying techniques on your students is legal russian roulette.

7sm

Latest Discussions