Attack of the Killer Trolls.

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Bob Hubbard, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh 3rd Black Belt

This whole thread has been an entertaining one filled with amusing irony, blatant examples of what we were just talking about and excellent replies. My 2 cents is that I'd really hate to see this site go down. I have had no problems here as of yet that I felt were outside the rules. I think the moderateors do a fantastic job and the overwhelming majority of us are here for what we're supposed to be here for, to learn, teach and share. I know it has had a profound effect on the way I view martial arts, my training methods and my outlook of people in general. I think a lot of the problem is people sometimes forget that they can agree to disagree. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped and the newbies will have to be able to tell the real deal from the fake. Just like choosing a school. The easy way is more seductive, hell, I'd love it if fighting was just like TKD foot tag (I'm talking about that aspect of someTKD). It gives a poser a chance to be a "big man". Some just want to bash. I can ignore them without a button.

I have a suggestion: Someone more poetic than I might want to post a lovely piece in the beginner's forum reminding them of the wisdom of the masters and not all that glitters is gold. A polite, subtle discouragement of giving too much credit to those who sound like they talk a good game. They say the empty can rattles the most, right?

2. shane

shane Yellow Belt

I believe the moderateors do a truly unbelievable job and the swamping most of us are here for what we're presumed to be here for, to discover, educate and share. I understand it has had a deep effect on the way I outlook martial creative pursuits, my teaching procedures and my outlook of persons in general. I believe many of the difficulty is persons occasionally overlook that they can acquiesce to disagree. You can't help somebody who doesn't desire to be assisted and the newbies will have to be adept to notify the genuine deal from the fake.

3. SensibleManiac

SensibleManiac Black Belt

Damn, and all this time I was coming on here to be babysat, do you mean I haven't had a babysitter in years?
    :uhohh:

4. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    I'm too busy on my private island surrounded by beautiful island girls, drinking a pina colada, and enjoying the tropical sun to babysit anyone. What, y'all thought I was paying for the server, net connection and software with the billions of $ I get in ad revenue? ;)

5. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Really Bob? You like pina coladas? And getting caught in the rain, I suppose?

6. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    With all apologies to Rupert Holmes, after reading Bob's post it sounds like he likes likes pina coladas and getting caught in the...sun. ;)

7. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    But, importantly, what are his views on Yoga? People with half a brain? Making love at midnight? Hmm, may be going a bit too far with that one....

8. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Never heard him talk about yoga, so I don't think he's much in to it. The half a brain...well, I suppose that all depends on whether the brain is half empty or half full. As far as the last one, well...he's a guy. ;)

9. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    I'm usually watching Robot Chicken at midnight, but that's because the wife works mostly opening shifts. If I attacked her then, she'd kenpo my ***, and that would be bad. ;)

This is an interesting thread, because I had to think back to when I started it in 06. We were drowning in trouble makers then. In the 4 years since, things have calmed down a lot, we've had a number of staff changes, 2 rules rewrites, a server change, and more. It's been a wild and interesting ride. I can't wait to see how the next 10 years go. :)

10. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    I think everyone should get lifetime supporting memberships so they don't miss a minute of it. :D

11. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    Time out whilst I think up some more deviltry - Bugs Bunny

12. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

Yes Xue I think we can figure out a few things to make it interesting here! %-}

13. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    [​IMG]

14. Blade96

Blade96 Senior Master

trolls are sometimes fun to play with before you eat them.

15. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    We tend to do that.

16. elmerq

elmerq White Belt

Thanks- I am very new to the discussion forum and haven't really met anyone I didn't like so far. This is very good to know.

17. Bruno@MT

Bruno@MT Senior Master

This is not my board to manage, and in fact I come here partly because I don't have to care about all that. But you really do have a choice here. Get rid of the nutjobs and the trolls. If they act like idiots, get rid of them. That's what you do with trolls. (It's what we do in any case). To do otherwise is to give them the opportunity to harrass a bunch of good people. Don't hide behind the rules or just say that it is up to other people to ignore them as long as they don't really break the rules.

The stage is yours. You are the one yielding it.

18. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Retired

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Founding Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    If we banned everyone who annoyed people with their postings, we'd have had to remove a lot of active folks, probably me included. It's a balance act, which we work on improving as we go.

19. Bruno@MT

Bruno@MT Senior Master

To be fair, I am not talking about disagreeable content, just disagreeable ways of presenting that content. And it is true that this would hurt active posters. That's what you get when you leave the problem unchecked for long. That sort of thing spreads.

And as for you, oh glorious leader... ;) ... you should lead by example.
    Not criticizing you btw. Just giving my opinion as was requested in the original post (which is a bit old admittedly).

20. jks9199

jks9199 Administrator Staff Member

Disagreeable presentation in whose view and opinion?

That's the whole issue. You may not like how someone says something, but I may think they're great. Mostly, the staff here figures that everyone can be adult. If you're in a bar or at a party, and there's a guy you think is a loudmouth, you don't expect the host to kick him out as a general rule, unless he's causing a problem for everyone. You just move away from them, right? Same principle here...