Armchair Kenpoist?

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by Kirk

That guy's in my class! ;) And he feels he knows better and
has to correct you on the WRONG way to do the technique!
Boy, did you hit the nail on the head! I had a white belt that always had an excuse and example for the class. He felt that his input was vital for the class to survive. After his second training session my advanced orande belt came to me and said; "the new guy talks too much and i bet he won't last"! I told him that we would see. Sure enough, the next class session he started rambling about the techniques and how they should be! So, i stopped the class and had each student do their blocking techniques individually. The new white belt ladies did well and i called him out last. He could not do even one technique correctly. The 11 year old kinda smurked when she looked at him and his ego took over with excuses! I told him that practice would make him a better blocker. We proceeded to kicking drills! I do at least 90% of all the training with the class unless i need to give the other higher ranking kyu some teaching experience. After class, we had gone through 3 hrs. of training; the guy comes to me and says that he will have to quit training for personal reasons! Good old orange belt; building the foundation of his art in progress! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hee hee Did you think we needed to hear it twice. (there must be a hidden message there )... oh..... Hey......You think I was that new guy huh......... lol just teasin.....:eek:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note:

I went ahead and deleted the duplicate post.

Cthulhu
-MT Mod.-

PS - Blindside, LOVE the R.A. Heinlein quote!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
maybe it would be a good idea to design an armchair that comes apart into various self defense weapons and shoots out stars and all sorts of 007Kenpo weapons. :rofl:

then let them call us that!!

OP
S

stal0225

Man I've made my rounds quite nicely.
Originally posted by TLH3rdDan

kirk im not sure but i believe they are refering to the ever popular know it all the guy who may have been to one or two classes and quit or perhaps watchs enter the dragon and all of the sudden think they know everything about the art... however i dont think that your in that catagory... from your posts you seem to be dedicated and willing to learn which is not the sign of an armchair martial artist...
At 10 I was reading all the black belt magazines.
At 11 I was quoting all the Bruce Lee Movies to a tee.
At 15 I joined my first Karate school and stopped at orange advanced.
At 27 I joined a new Karate school and thought i knew everything.
Man how humilating when you look back on it.

Luckily I have a instructor who put me in my place without driving me out of the school.

Now I'm just happy to learn and enjoy the teachings of everyone in my class whether they be instructor's or students.

Thanks Guys.

OP
R

Ronin

I have had the benefit of seeing many of the old kenpo legends move on someone and let me tell you, regardless of the extra weight around the middle they still move like lightning. Maybe its because they understand the principles of motion.

OP
R

Ronin

I think an armchair kenpoist much like an armchair quarterback is someone that talks a good game. But ,when its balls to the wall time they fail to deliver the goods. Many people know how to do things but very very few really UNDERSTAND how to do things.

OP
T

tunetigress

Well if the fact that my age, gender, and physical infirmity prevents me from 'performing on the floor' like some chiselled young fella with more muscles than brains makes me an 'armchair Kenpoist' to some people, so be it! Due to my respiratory disability, I can only train for around 10 minutes at a stretch before collapsing into my puter chair to await the return of my strength. I will never, ever try to live up to someone else's standards of what a 'real' Kenpoist is. I feel that it is far more important to pursue my art from where I am at today, in whatever way I can manage, knowing that I am putting everything I have into my training. I truly believe that the MA can be for anyone and everyone, regardless of age, gender, or physical condition. I am personally able to do quite a bit of learning from this 'armchair' in which I am presently sitting, as the mental aspect of the Arts seems to me to be quite important to my progress. If it were all about physical performance, I would have given up on Kenpo long ago.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm in your corner anytime you need me. I'd love an army of students with your attitude, hang in there and get that armchair padded with black velvet with red trim!

You're the best!

:asian:

Latest Discussions