Are women disadvantaged in striking arts/styles?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
First day of defensive tactics in the police academy they made us all line up in a line and the teacher walked up and punched each and everyone of us in the face. If you flinched he hit you again. I personally don't do this when I teach, but that was that instructors style and we have become friends over the years he's a 7th or 8th Dan now in Isshin Ryu and a retired police officer and all around general bad dude who even at his age now pushing 70 I wouldn't mess with. He didn't care man or woman he just walked up and punched you in the jaw. It weeded out a few from the class that refused to get hit and quit. Served it's purpose I guess.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know when I went through the police academy they made a strong point that everyone could take a hit. Part of the Defensive Tactics course was boxing and we boxed with everyone men or woman alike. Full contact. For me it was great as I had kickboxed and had done hard contact martial arts for years and enjoyed the contact. For some others it was a wake up call. However, in a profession where you are going to go hands on this was very, very important. I would not want to be working with a partner who could not take care of themselves and also provide back up for me!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First day of defensive tactics in the police academy they made us all line up in a line and the teacher walked up and punched each and everyone of us in the face. If you flinched he hit you again. I personally don't do this when I teach, but that was that instructors style and we have become friends over the years he's a 7th or 8th Dan now in Isshin Ryu and a retired police officer and all around general bad dude who even at his age now pushing 70 I wouldn't mess with. He didn't care man or woman he just walked up and punched you in the jaw. It weeded out a few from the class that refused to get hit and quit. Served it's purpose I guess.

Did he allow you to strike back?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did he allow you to strike back?

Nope. Stand in a line put your hands behind your back and pow right in the kisser. That was day one first thing. Later in the training we got to fight back

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We rarely use gloves and almost never wear padding. I expect people (students) to gradually increase the power of their punches (to the body) until the are pretty much hitting as hard as they can.
Sounds like you are giving your students the sort of violence they are trying to avoid i.e. being beaten full force with no protection.

All the conditioning in the world isn't going to stop your floating rib from snapping if a 182cm 127kg man punches a 165cm man 63kg man full force.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheeple are blind followers.

It always shows the ignorance of people using that word because they don't actually understand that sheep are actually quite bright ( intelligence equal to dogs ) with very good memories, have excellent defence skills and coping strategies under the most extreme conditions. I don't know why people malign sheep just based on what they think sheep do! :miffer:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's see... I allow someone to hit me in the face because they are my instructor, and they say I can't return the favor. Sheeple training.

Ok? I allowed them to pepper spray me and to
Tase me as well without returning the favor. Still don't get what your saying. That has nothing to do with being sheep it's training. I was actually kinda shocked how many people in my academy class had never been punched before in their entire lives. Some of them freaked out and quit so it worked I guess

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok? I allowed them to pepper spray me and to
Tase me as well without returning the favor. Still don't get what your saying. That has nothing to do with being sheep it's training. I was actually kinda shocked how many people in my academy class had never been punched before in their entire lives. Some of them freaked out and quit so it worked I guess

A tad drastic for civvies though lol but policing in many places isn't for the faint hearted. People do freeze when hit for the first time, martial arts instructors work up to this but then they are training for different reasons. In 'martial arts' self defence the idea is to get away, to escape the violence. Police officers have to go forward to meet the violence in order that others may be safe so training will be more vigorous and methods used that one wouldn't find in a martial arts club/school.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I stuck this on Tez's post re the Guides but meant to put this here instead:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions