Are women disadvantaged in striking arts/styles?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again with the videos and again with the twisting of words.

You stated " My point is that striking is simply more familiar to more people than grappling is",
I replied that wrestling/grappling is more familiar to people and explained why.
You come back with a video and saying that with a backyard grappler against a BJJ player the difference is apparent. So, what's that got to do with the price of fish?

It shows that people are not familiar with grappling, even if they're practicing it consistently.

then you said " I wasn't talking about confidence. I was talking about familiarity." No, you weren't but I was. it was a comment I added. It's not all about you.

Why would you respond to my post with something I wasn't even talking about?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you haven't said this until asked.

And now I'm curious as to the purpose of this thread. According to you, women suck at striking and at grappling. Other than bashing on women in MA, what is it you're trying to prove?

Where did I say that women suck at grappling and striking?

The purpose of this thread is to ask the question of whether or not women are disadvantaged in the striking arts.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is solid proof from the allmighty internet that three girls can beat up seven bigger guys. According to HanzouLogic every other argument or fact ever presented is now rendered not valid.

beach_volleyball_mayhem_by_chuvanesschuka-d7bpd49.jpg

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is solid proof from the allmighty internet that three girls can beat up seven bigger guys. According to HanzouLogic every other argument or fact ever presented is now rendered not valid.

beach_volleyball_mayhem_by_chuvanesschuka-d7bpd49.jpg
Yeah, but that's in a sport setting (full-contact beach volleyball). In the street it would be totally different.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I never said that the guy didn't get his *** handed to him.

No but youu said:

The unskilled striker was still able trade blows significantly well with more skilled striker.

Trade strikes significantly well isn't something that 'getting your *** handed to you' usually entails.

However, the more skilled striker didn't put him away either. I was also struck by how many blows the cop simply missed.

How good the trained striker was is an entirely different issue.

We don't know what would have happened if the fight had continued. It could have very well continued for several more minutes if people hadn't came in there and separated them.

The police officer was landing more strikes, was the much more aggressive fighter and had better defence.

I guess we wouldn't know how the next set of rounds would have turned out with the two TKD students fighting the big guy either?

My point is that striking is simply more familiar to more people than grappling is, and when trading blows with someone of equal or greater size and strength, that familiarity decreases your advantages. In that case, grappling can save you.

That's not a point or a fact, it's an opinion.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Trade strikes significantly well isn't something that 'getting your *** handed to you' usually entails.

You can trade strikes significantly well and still get your *** kicked. It happens, and that vid is one of those cases.

How good the trained striker was is an entirely different issue.

His technique and form looked good.

The police officer was landing more strikes, was the much more aggressive fighter and had better defence.

And yet the thug still hung with him.

I guess we wouldn't know how the next set of rounds would have turned out with the two TKD students fighting the big guy either?

The thug actually looked better than the two TSD students (ithey're TSD not TKD) did fighting their senior student.

That's not a point or a fact, it's an opinion.

You can get a heavy bag and practice kicks and punches, and watch some vids and actually become a fairly competent striker. Maybe even capable of doing some damage to some karate and kung fu black belts. I know, I've seen it happen several times.

That sort of thing is far more rarer in the grappling arts. Not because grappling arts are superior, but because grappling is far more alien to people than striking is. Hell, just the closeness of physical contact inherent in grappling arts freaks people out.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It shows that people are not familiar with grappling, even if they're practicing it consistently.

Why would you respond to my post with something I wasn't even talking about?

Because it's a discussion board? You know, where you say something, I respond then add something, you respond, add something etc etc etc.

This isn't the testicular monologues.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can trade strikes significantly well and still get your *** kicked. It happens, and that vid is one of those cases.

The thug actually looked better than the two TSD students (ithey're TSD not TKD) did fighting their senior student.

You can get a heavy bag and practice kicks and punches, and watch some vids and actually become a fairly competent striker. Maybe even capable of doing some damage to some karate and kung fu black belts. I know, I've seen it happen several times.

That sort of thing is far more rarer in the grappling arts. Not because grappling arts are superior, but because grappling is far more alien to people than striking is. Hell, just the closeness of physical contact inherent in grappling arts freaks people out.

ok but there are also videos of competent strikers cleaning house on the street.

what explains those?

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

When is throwing multiple reckless punches, barely landing any of them, ever classified as 'trading strikes significantly well'?

I thought you had experience in multiple striking arts and a black belt in one of them?

I could keep a good guard after being taken down and fluke a shot in the throat....but I wouldn't call it trading strikes or grappling significantly well. It would be using what little I did know to survive.

It did. I'm not sure there was much chance at all of the 'thug' in this scenario taking him out. Nice tight guard, quick, calculated, strong strikes that he was quite unlucky to have missed so many in a row. It happens though.

One example of an untrained guy surviving a fight with a trained opponent. It happens sometimes, I said that before.

Oops, my bad. I'm not sure the style is relevant though. Its still primarily striking based.

Apples and oranges. On one hand we have a grading sparring match between two students, one has already performed any number of forms, line work and sparring rounds before-hand, the other is fresh and much more skilled, then, we have an adrenaline filled fight between presumably a criminal attempting escape and a police officer. In grading you're trying to show skill and technique, in a fight you're trying to take the other guy's head off. Nothing about these two 'fights' are comparable.

If this is even true, which I doubt, I'm not sure how poorly trained 'black belts' are relevant to the discussion. Try to fight one of the black belts I know without proper training and see where it gets you.

Again, this is an opinion, not a fact. Facts aren't argued, by nature, they are.

Getting punched in the face repeatedly freaks people out too, but I guess you know that, with all the Karate and Kung Fu experience you have.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's going to be news to the hundreds of thousands or so women who do Judo, BJJ, JJ and wrestling around the world. It may however say something about your methods of teaching.
Or understanding.
:rolleyes: