are wheelguns 100% reliable??

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would never go DA Auto these days (unless I purchased a Para Ordinance LDA...sweet). I'm a striker fired auto guy from now on.

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

<b>"Great Guro Wizard of the Gun and Knife"</b>
Reaction score
Nothin wrong there brother.

Experiencing a hand crafted CZ is like driving a Bentley. WOW, but will the kids spill soda on the seats.....

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
It took a little getting used to, but i'm fine with my SIG P220 in DAO mode, and will do it on all future SIGS until either I move to where I can buy the DAK model or it gets on the MA roster list.

Some folks love the strikers, I like to have that visual index of the hammer movingin the event that under adrenaline stress I can't feel my finger as to whether it's on the trigger or not.

( Actually another reason I like revolvers too).

Well, I have an auto AND a couple revolvers, so I figure I'm covered whether or not St. Peter's a Jeff Cooper fan or a Bill Jordan fan :D

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eh..thats why you train to keep the booger hook off the trigger till you are ready to fire. I use AR's and SG's too. They have no external hammers.

Im also of the opinion that you should stick to a trigger type and be good with it. Why confuse things by carrying a different trigger type every other day?

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would never go DA Auto these days (unless I purchased a Para Ordinance LDA...sweet). I'm a striker fired auto guy from now on.

Waiting list is insane though since they moved the whole operation from Canada to North Carolina( That's actually what led me to my SIG was I couldn't get the fullsize single stack LDA for like 8 months)

Last edited:

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Eh..thats why you train to keep the booger hook off the trigger till you are ready to fire.

Always, *always* do. But the thing to remember is in many cases, in a vasoconstricted state it sometimes happens subconsciously that the finger finds its way there anyway. It just happens I prefer a visible warning sign is all.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back to revolvers though:

I find that in the fullsize, belt-holster "service" guns I do prefer an auto to a revolver, but off the belt in a pocket or ankle rig I do still prefer a snubby. Pockets have grit or lint, and ankles are near enough to the ground to kick up sand, dirt, and so on. I find revolvers tend to tolerate being dirty more than autos once you get down to pocket sized mechanisms.

Also-where pocket pistols are concerned, a pocket auto might offer me a slimmer profile in the pocket/ankle, might offer me one or two more rounds in a small caliber, but won't offer me as much reliability ( again the pocket pistols don't seem IME to have matched the reliability of their fullsize brothers) won't offer me nearly as much punch (this situation is changing slightly since the Kahr PM9 and the Rohrbaugh R9 but not enough to sway me from my model 60).

Last edited:
OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
Does "vasoconstricted" mean "Skeert"?

Jst a mild case of Blaberry tachy psyche goings ons.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does "vasoconstricted" mean "Skeert"?

Jst a mild case of Blaberry tachy psyche goings ons.

It's the thousand dollar way of referring to the effect under an adrenaline dump of blood leaving the extremities and going toward the vital organs leaving a sensation of numbness in the fingers and a corresponding drop in fine motor skill.

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
Where I come from that is "skeert to death" in more words.

Practice and experience help to control such inherent traits.

Andy, forgot you had SIG in senior moment.

My uniform BDU's have to be bloused, so no ankle weights,crotch, tummy or shoulder carry for B-U.

My partner carries at C-A undercover and I LOVE to keep shooting my G-27 soon to be replaced with Kimber Mini something while he is reloading

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being able to wear them as civilian dress, I cut the drawstring out of all my BDU bottoms so as to use them like slacks.:D

I just figure since during the summer when I don't want to bother with a concealing garment for a belt or shoulder rig, it ends up being a pocket snubby and an ankle snubby( for when seated and can't draw from pocket) and so it was in my best interest to maximize what skills I could for the ones that actually tended to come with me most of the time.

However this Nov. I'll be up at SIG-Sauer academy taking their "Defensive Knife and Pistol" class with either my P220 or if I have a P239 by then, with that.

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
Once you get a P-239 and go through class betcha your "tastes" change.

Flat and tight is where its at!!!

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well I expect my tastes in a belt gun will change, assuming the grip isn't too small for my hands to get at quick ( i got gorilla mitts and the fullsize P220 was just right , my hand almost covers it up, was actually why I chose it over the wider P226), but even the p239 isn't a pocket or ankle gun. :)

(Figure on getting a .40 S&W model and a .357 SIG barrel, and the P220 may or may not stay on and pull bedside duty)

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
HUH???

Just looked at a pix and a P-239 ain't much bigger than a 640?

My BB won't let me attach image too stupid to work it right.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
S&W 640

Overall height: 4 1/4 inch
Overall length: 6.56 inch
Barrel length : 2 1/8 inch
Weight empty: 23 ounces

SIG P239

Overall height: 5.1 inch
Overall length: 6.6 inch
Barrel length: 3.6 inch
Weight empty with mag: 29 1/2 ounces

So there is a bit more weight to consider and the grip is eough longer to cause a problem in some pockets. ( I HAVE seen Desantis offer a pocket rig FOR this gun, so I guess it isn't impossible but it won't be as easy as with the J frame)

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
Get bigger pockets! The Disco pants won't work with ANYTHING.

Try Propper brand pants ( 5:11 style) if you HAVE to Mae West it.

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
Whoops Mae West old film star kinda like Bette Midler with REAL attitude "Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
Andy,

Now repeat after me:

"I have found semi-auto salvation"

"I have found semi-auto salvation"

I have chosen the path to true enlightenment

Latest Discussions