Defensive Shotgun questions

Stick Dummy

<b>"Great Guro Wizard of the Gun and Knife"</b>
Reaction score
If you are a serious firearms enthusiast you have probably selected a large bore shotgun for defense.

Did you choose a pump, auto, or double barrel and why?

How about ammuntion? Birdshot, Buckshot, or slugs?

Do you practice?

How do you practice?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you're more interested in grinding an ax than having a discussion. I could be wrong, but that's kind how it's looking from my end.

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
Thanks Bill You are always enlightening!

Just curious as I need to get another one for work & range duty.

Might be something new I have not heard about lurking around.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Bill You are always enlightening!

Just curious as I need to get another one for work & range duty.

Might be something new I have not heard about lurking around.

Ok. JC Higgins 16 gauge bolt action, modified choke, 00 buckshot. I practice when I can. Do room clearing exercises at home non-firing. Don't shoot it much; I know its pattern pretty well.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like a Remington 870 Express with the short barrel.

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
You're right but at 10 yards or less it makes a hell of a mess from what little ugliness I have seen.

OO buck is still king for out to 25 yards.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
00 Buck is standard, if I for whatever unlikely reason *need* to reach out further, I can always drop in a rifled hollowpoint slug into the tube and have it be the next round shucked in.

Then, too, since my 590A1 has a bayonet lug, hearing the "rack" and then seeing that THING on the end, just showing it to someone very well could convince them to Sit Down And Be Quiet without a shot. (Between you and me, it's there more to dissuade any takeaway attempt than anything else, but yes, I have not forgotten my bayonet drills).

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
00 Buck is standard, if I for whatever unlikely reason *need* to reach out further, I can always drop in a rifled hollowpoint slug into the tube and have it be the next round shucked in.

Then, too, since my 590A1 has a bayonet lug, hearing the "rack" and then seeing that THING on the end, just showing it to someone very well could convince them to Sit Down And Be Quiet without a shot. (Between you and me, it's there more to dissuade any takeaway attempt than anything else, but yes, I have not forgotten my bayonet drills).

Fantastic choice it would seem that we think alike on this matter! The 590A1 is a fantastic shotgun and probably my favorite over all home protection item. ;)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to the Remington 870 because I hate having to deal with different skills under pressure. Since my "work" gear would be a Remington 870, loaded with 00 buck... that's what my personal choice would be. We've customized 'em kind of heavily, with a pistol grip stock, pistol style sights, and a modified choke/short barrel, though...

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are a serious firearms enthusiast you have probably selected a large bore shotgun for defense.

Did you choose a pump, auto, or double barrel and why?

How about ammuntion? Birdshot, Buckshot, or slugs?

Do you practice?

How do you practice?

My preference is semi-auto with slugs. I have a Benelli M2, a Remington 1100, and a Tromix modified Saiga 12.

I use the Remington 1100 for duty use, with a Surefire forend and single point sling and XS ghost ring sights. Again, loaded entirely with slugs.

I also carry a Remington 870 pump as a less-lethal platform, as those rounds do not cycle semi-autos.

There's nothing wrong with pump, but it's not remotely superior to a semi-auto. The only drawback to semi-auto is that they tend to be more ammunition sensitive. But once you find ammunition that cycles well, they are extremely reliable......you just stick with that ammunition.

As for ammunition, I look at a shotgun like a large handgun......with slightly more ranger. Meaning a single, large projectile, can handle targets from muzzle to 100 yards. With shot, the maximum range is 25 yards.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We rarely need to buy shotguns,they are passed down through families :)
Get on the waiting list for a beautiful pair of Purdeys! 3-5 years at the moment but you could get something quintessentialy 'English' here lol.
http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/WService=wslive_pub/pubweb/publicSite.r

Have a look through the lots, some nice history (American) there as well as being useful investments lol! Look at the last lot 291, and drool as my other half does, he has a Purdey already but would really like another. I expect though when you say 'shotguns' you mean something far more prosaic and shiny.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
We rarely need to buy shotguns,they are passed down through families :)
Get on the waiting list for a beautiful pair of Purdeys! 3-5 years at the moment but you could get something quintessentialy 'English' here lol.
http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/WService=wslive_pub/pubweb/publicSite.r

Have a look through the lots, some nice history (American) there as well as being useful investments lol! Look at the last lot 291, and drool as my other half does, he has a Purdey already but would really like another. I expect though when you say 'shotguns' you mean something far more prosaic and shiny.

Europeans don't seem to have ever had the anti-personnel view of shotguns that Americans have. The shotgun is the quintessential American police long gun, a concept completely foreign to European police forces.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Europeans don't seem to have ever had the anti-personnel view of shotguns that Americans have. The shotgun is the quintessential American police long gun, a concept completely foreign to European police forces.

You're right, for us, I suppose shotguns are for shooting game not people (unless your gamekeeper happens on a poacher). It just doesn't seem right somehow using a shotgun against a person, using rifles, handguns, all modern types of weapons yes but never a shotgun. Odd, I know!
I know that in the first World War American troops used shotguns and the Germans are supposed to have filed a diplomatic protest against their use, again I assume not just because they were effective but because we use them to shoot animals and the use on humans was regarded as insulting.
I think too that we regard them as heirlooms almost artforms, most are made with superb workmanship, they will literally last for many generations. There's farmers round our way using Victorian made ones passed through from their great grandfathers.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're right, for us, I suppose shotguns are for shooting game not people (unless your gamekeeper happens on a poacher). It just doesn't seem right somehow using a shotgun against a person, using rifles, handguns, all modern types of weapons yes but never a shotgun. Odd, I know!
I know that in the first World War American troops used shotguns and the Germans are supposed to have filed a diplomatic protest against their use, again I assume not just because they were effective but because we use them to shoot animals and the use on humans was regarded as insulting.
I think too that we regard them as heirlooms almost artforms, most are made with superb workmanship, they will literally last for many generations. There's farmers round our way using Victorian made ones passed through from their great grandfathers.

It's odd the difference societal perception makes........the French don't find it odd seeing a British, French, German or Italian police officer standing on the corner with a sub-machine gun slung, but would find one with a shotgun distressing. http://www.enjoyfrance.com/images/stories/france/news/police-suspects.jpg

Conversely, in many communities in the US, seeing an officer with a shotgun would not be considered odd, but one carrying a sub-machine gun would be perceived negatively.......though that has very recently changed to a wider spread acceptance of the rifle in US police circles in a response to the perception of the limitations of a shotgun in various high profile police incidents.

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
Remington 870 and I also have a Mossberg 500 with 18 1/2 inch barrel.I like the Mossberg because the safety is on top of the receiver and easily worked with the thumb.New students who have never fired a shotgun seem to take to this configuration much quicker and with more confidence. I prefer .00 buck and slugs. I personally go to an outdoor range and practice at least once a year.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's odd the difference societal perception makes........the French don't find it odd seeing a British, French, German or Italian police officer standing on the corner with a sub-machine gun slung, but would find one with a shotgun distressing. http://www.enjoyfrance.com/images/stories/france/news/police-suspects.jpg

Conversely, in many communities in the US, seeing an officer with a shotgun would not be considered odd, but one carrying a sub-machine gun would be perceived negatively.......though that has very recently changed to a wider spread acceptance of the rifle in US police circles in a response to the perception of the limitations of a shotgun in various high profile police incidents.

TBH I'm at a loss to explain it, perhaps we see some weapons as 'military' and others not. We can own rifles here too which are also considered 'civilian' weapons rather than 'military'. Handguns tend to be 'military' ie the good old 'service revolver' or are used by 'gangsters'. All down to perceptions.
I will say that using a shotgun on someone threatening someone in their own home would be more than acceptable even by the law here ( despite what many think). Defending yourself and yours is always acceptable despite peoples perceptions, it's more than allowable in law here. (not a cue for another argument on our law lol)

OP
Stick Dummy

Stick Dummy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and all have valid points especially diversified views on LE usage of a "boom stick" as they are called in my neck of the woods.

Sgt. Mac how does the 1100 function with reduced recoil L-E loads? Or not?

Owned Benelli M-1 super 90 great handling, great ergonomics, but kicked worse than a Ithaca M-37 riot gun!

Currently looking at a 11-87P 18" tube normal stock stock config. Side saddle, XS sights.

Tac sling reccomendations?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and all have valid points especially diversified views on LE usage of a "boom stick" as they are called in my neck of the woods.

Sgt. Mac how does the 1100 function with reduced recoil L-E loads? Or not?

Owned Benelli M-1 super 90 great handling, great ergonomics, but kicked worse than a Ithaca M-37 riot gun!

Currently looking at a 11-87P 18" tube normal stock stock config. Side saddle, XS sights.

Tac sling reccomendations?

I've got an Benelli M2 as well and, being inertia driven, doesn't function at all well with low recoil ammunition.......and you're right, they do kick like a mule as a result. The Remington 1100, being gas driven, functions somewhat better, but some ammunition functions in it better than others. The reduced recoil L-E loads should only be used in pump shotguns. The 1100 does a much better job of giving you less of a beating than the Benelli with most loads it's been my experience.

General rule of thumb with semi-auto shotguns is you can't go wrong with the heavy loads. Light loads should be avoided for self-defense. And once you find a load that works best, stick with it, and only experiment on the range.

Go with a single point sling, quicker to throw on and off. I love XS Sights. If money isn't an issue throw on a Surefire forend light and a good side saddle and your good to go.

As a self-defense shotgun i'd go with 1100 over 11-87P........the 11-87 is more versatile with loads, as it was originally developed as an all around bird shooting shotgun, as it can take 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells, but the trade off is somewhat less consistent reliability.

With the 1100 you're restricted to 2 3/4 inch shells, but it's a far more consistent gun, and for defensive purposes you don't need 3 inch shells imho. If you go with the 11-87P, just find the ammunition it likes best and stick with it.

Latest Discussions