Are we reducing or cheapened what it takes to be considered brave or to be a hero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay; can you be succinct and clearer in what you are saying for us lesser people? I read no other point in your post other than taking a poke. I countered in order, simple as that.

I will not put you on ignore or move on. Help us get to a middle ground where we understand each other better. I get that this is harder to do when having a conversation on a screen vs. in person.

Here is my input; talking about the flag or patriotism are upper order constructs for me and most other people about their respective country I feel. Most of these people are not outspoken about it; largely because it is/was an implied concept that required no elaborate explanation. But in the las 20 years or so certain factions began a mission to change the perspective of the meaning of such words. The agenda has perpetuated and morphed into something much worse. Sadly, I fully believe the only remedy will come in the form of a large scale conflict. Now explain to me how that makes any sense at all and more so how is that not apparent?
patriotism have no place in an intellectual debate, unless you can clearly articulate what it is your patriotic about.

blindly supporting your country because its your country is the most non intellectual view point you can take

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
... I read no other point in your post other than taking a poke. I countered in order, simple as that...

My post had nothing to do with you. You were no where in my consciousness when I made it. I was responding to the original question, posed by the original poster.

Your response to me, however, was a personal attack. You insulted my intelligence and told me I had been drinking the kool-aide.

Not sure where middle ground is in that and I'm good walking away. I can see that you have your hands full arguing US politics (which the Falklands Islands was meant to avoid) with the rest of MT.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My post had nothing to do with you. You were no where in my consciousness when I made it. I was responding to the original question, posed by the original poster.

Your response to me, however, was a personal attack. You insulted my intelligence and told me I had been drinking the kool-aide.

Not sure where middle ground is in that and I'm good walking away. I can see that you have your hands full arguing US politics (which the Falklands Islands was meant to avoid) with the rest of MT.
the Falkland islands are infact a good case in point.

the reason the uk is so keen to hold onto them is it gives us a stake in the southern hemisphere, particularly Antarctica but also any oil fields that way out

however the government remove any security they had, which wasnt much, to save a few quid

when the Argentinian invasion was announce, it was treated by the population and the media as a joke, as most people seemed to think they were off the coast of Scotland and then when told of their actual location cared very little about some god forsaken out post that had more sheep and penguins than people

within a few days that bemusement turn to a sea of patriotic zeal as the loss of somewhere very few people knew existed was now grounds for military action

but as we had nether a navy or an air force capable of doing that we sent a few under armed ferry and some aging destroyers into battle and then despite being told not to park them there, the navy commander parked them up in the most stupid of places resulting in catastrophic loss of life

all that stupidity, neglect and carelessness did was to increase the patriotic fever in the country and still nobody ask why if they were that important was nobody guarding them in the first place

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'll take this as constructive criticism and avoid contributing to that any more. Good point. :)

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
the Falkland islands are infact a good case in point.

the reason the uk is so keen to hold onto them is it gives us a stake in the southern hemisphere, particularly Antarctica but also any oil fields that way out

however the government remove any security they had, which wasnt much, to save a few quid

when the Argentinian invasion was announce, it was treated by the population and the media as a joke, as most people seemed to think they were off the coast of Scotland and then when told of their actual location cared very little about some god forsaken out post that had more sheep and penguins than people

within a few days that bemusement turn to a sea of patriotic zeal as the loss of somewhere very few people knew existed was now grounds for military action

but as we had nether a navy or an air force capable of doing that we sent a few under armed ferry and some aging destroyers into battle and then despite being told not to park them there, the navy commander parked them up in the most stupid of places resulting in catastrophic loss of life

all that stupidity, neglect and carelessness did was to increase the patriotic fever in the country and still nobody ask why if they were that important was nobody guarding them in the first place

Hmmm..It's almost as though I had "a history class in grade school" or "Read a book". Is it possible that I have enough awareness of world history to pull a fairly obscure 35-year-old example out of my *** to make a cogent point in 2020? Naw, it's "pretty clear what Kool-Aid" I'm drinking. "Sad."

It's obvious that my left-wing media bubble has been going on and on about the Faulkland Islands conflict recently and I'm just repeating their radical talking points. Well, at least that inevitable armed conflict will be along any minute to straighten me out.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Fair enough.
The 'poke' was your general reference to patriotism. Not cool whatever country you live.
The Kool-Aid is the leftist rhetoric you clearly buy in to. I replied in kind and you have gotten offended. Do you not understand you response was offensive to me?
Clearly I do not get your Falkland Islands comparison, still don't .

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
patriotism have no place in an intellectual debate, unless you can clearly articulate what it is your patriotic about.

blindly supporting your country because its your country is the most non intellectual view point you can take
Yeah, that it typical Jobo rhetoric trying to suck someone into a useless conversation. Not doing it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
and still nobody ask why if they were that important was nobody guarding them in the first place
Here's you sign.
A nation, country, state, city, business, family, person must be diligent and pro-active, else crap this will just happen over and over.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually worked as a corrections officer in a prison for a few years. They actually do charge some of them rent to be in prison. Some of the inmates got to leave the prison everyday and work jobs outside the prison and then come back everyday after work and go to there cells. They had money withheld from their paycheck for "rent".
I do not have a problem with this. Apparently they had done something which required incarceration. In the guidelines of minimum/medium/major security I guess someone decided letting people out to worked fit the minimum profile. Getting reimbursed for room and board is only logical in this scenario. IMHO

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
is that some american collociquism s that similar to a red neck ?
Nope. When I went to have my physical the doctor caught it. I tried to slip through without saying anything but it did not work.
Call me country or a red neck. I work outside enough to fit either. I have no problem with either. To be more precise I am a cattleman.
I am very, very proud of my heritage.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
that more than al ittle judgemential ,so what exactly y has the mother done wrong?
There is something wrong with your child and all you do is freak out to the point of being no help at all? C'mon. I really had to explain that to you?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
whatcas
Nope. When I went to have my physical the doctor caught it. I tried to slip through without saying anything but it did not work.
Call me country or a red neck. I work outside enough to fit ei
There is something wrong with your child and all you do is freak out to the point of being no help at all? C'mon. I really had to explain that to you?
but the policeman didnt seem to need help, what assistence do you think she could have given had she been calmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions