Are We Knowingly Living a Lie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
….martial arts turning you into a competent fighter/improving your character/making you more successful in love….

I think the idea is that when fossil fuels are completely abolished in 3 years time, we will have unlimited green energy with which to charge them. But of course, that’s a lie! 😄

Because we’re comfortable, because it’s convenient and because we’re told it’s greener….green washing!
It’s def a lie and sadly it’s easier to believe the lie with cable, Netflix, iphones

but I see things getting worse bit by bit and wonder when the comfort will stop. High rent, high grocery prices, high gas prices.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It’s def a lie and sadly it’s easier to believe the lie with cable, Netflix, iphones

but I see things getting worse bit by bit and wonder when the comfort will stop. High rent, high grocery prices, high gas prices.
Like the frog in the pot on the stove. Turn the heat up slowly and he won't notice he's being boiled alive.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some positive people on this forum - do you care to add to this discussion…before I lose all hope 😳😀

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunshine, lollipops, rainbows and puppy dogs, unicorns being ridden by beautiful naked women with funny hats.

Or not.
That’s the most sensical post you’ve ever made, Buka 😉

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is a very interesting topic, but I think to do it justice is intrinsically political. At least, to address the points you’ve raised adequately, the conversation will necessarily steer that direction.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a very interesting topic, but I think to do it justice is intrinsically political. At least, to address the points you’ve raised adequately, the conversation will necessarily steer that direction.
No it doesn’t and it won’t.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Over 20 years ago I helped a friend build one of these: Earthship Biotecture - Off Grid Sustainable Green Buildings - Earthship Biotecture

At the time we thought we were really making a difference. Nowadays not so sure. I retain hope the human race will someday live with our environment without destroying it but we aren't there yet. The bicycle is the most environmentally friendly vehicle mankind has yet devised especially if it's made of steel which is recyclable. I try to ride mine when the weather is nice and leave the big polluting truck in the driveway. Electric cars have a long way to go before they even make a dent in the problem.
Obviously, you have never been to an iron ore mine or steel mill.
The same can be said for Lithium, but there appears to be So much less of it to mine. Incredibly nasty stuff to mine and process.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the US, it has become a political talking point. It should not be political, but unfortunately, lobbyists have paid big money to turn it that way.
Then I think we should pick a day, shoot all the lawyers and politicians, then sit around a campfire smoking doobies and figure it out.

I’ll bring the marshmallows. Somebody bring beer.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No it doesn’t and it won’t.
I give it two more pages, if the thread doesn’t lose steam by then. If it hasn’t become a train wreck by that point I will be sincerely impressed. Heck, a significant portion of the American population won’t admit climate change is a real thing because of politics.

It’s an interesting topic. Best of luck.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a significant portion of the American population won’t admit climate change is a real thing because of politics.
Don't pollute our environment (include the air) is always a good idea. I just don't know why people want to argue about it.

A: I like my environment to be clear.
B: I like my environment to be dirty.
A: @#$%^&
B: &^%$#@

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't pollute our environment (include the air) is always a good idea. I just don't know why people want to argue about it.

A: I like my environment to be clear.
B: I like my environment to be dirty.
A: @#$%^&
B: &^%$#@
More often, it's this:

A: I like my environment clean, and I want society to spend money to clean it up.
B: I also like a clean environment, but I don't want my tax dollars to go to clean it.
C: The environment will clean itself.
D: I'll do what I want on my property, don't tell me what to do.
E: There's no proof the environment is dirty.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But not everyone agrees, so nothing gets done.
Only when alien attacks earth, the earth people then may unite together (instead of fighting against each other).

alien_attack.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in the U.K. we’re suffering from floods with many people’s lives being devastated as their homes flood with sewage-tainted water. And yet building contractors continue to plan housing estates on river flood planes or areas that are likely to become flood planes as rainfall increases. Knowing this, families still buy these doomed properties. Why can’t we build houses on ’stilts‘ like the do in other countries?

Is it the, ‘well it won’t happen to me’ phenomenon or are people just deluded?

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a friend (my original Iaido teacher) with a PhD in chemistry and we worked at the same university as me. He was an anthropomorphic climate change denier, often pulling out the infamous hockey stick graph and other data to prove his point. And when he breaks it down like that, it’s compelling. But I tell him I don’t believe him because science is about consensus and the vast majority of the experts say we are greatly contributing to climate change. The University continually ‘shut him down’ when he voices his opinion.

He also believes many conspiracy theories including the Dyatlov Pass incident being down to a yeti 😐

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions