Are titles that important?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
We have a lil' Dragon Program that is for 5-7 year olds that only gives Patches... The Belt remains the same. Then after they receive their "Future Black Belt" Patch they enter the Youth Program and start with Withe Belt.
Do you mean "White Belt"?

Nice, but I dont accept anyone child younger than 9-10. And thus depends on their maturity.

Also, no one under the age of 18-19 will receive a black belt. Again, depends on their maturity.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Do you mean "White Belt"?

Nice, but I dont accept anyone child younger than 9-10. And thus depends on their maturity.

Also, no one under the age of 18-19 will receive a black belt. Again, depends on their maturity.
:vu: AAAAAAAAGHHH Yea I ment White.. My Fingers don't always type what my Mind Tells them to. I think they have a mind of there own.....

Our lil dragon's program is basicly designed to teach motor skills. Basic Moves and Attention skills. We even have requirements for them to Tell Mom and Dad Thank you for bringing them to class. or.. ! day of doing something without being asked.. Like cleaning their room... or picking up.. It is only a 45 min class ans with tumbling skills and hand eye drill games it works great.

Our first senior Black Belt is 18 years. You can earn a Jr. Black Belt younger with the time in but you don't get the Senior Belt till 18. And then you re test.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
:vu: AAAAAAAAGHHH Yea I ment White.. My Fingers don't always type what my Mind Tells them to. I think they have a mind of there own.....

Our lil dragon's program is basicly designed to teach motor skills. Basic Moves and Attention skills. We even have requirements for them to Tell Mom and Dad Thank you for bringing them to class. or.. ! day of doing something without being asked.. Like cleaning their room... or picking up.. It is only a 45 min class ans with tumbling skills and hand eye drill games it works great.

Our first senior Black Belt is 18 years. You can earn a Jr. Black Belt younger with the time in but you don't get the Senior Belt till 18. And then you re test.
Playing games with kids, or telling them to clean thier rooms is not a martial arts course. Why would you even think about giving them rank? IMHO there is no Jr. Black Belt, either you are a black belt or not!

A

AikidoCal

As a messy post as it was, I was trying awkwardly to say that rank (military; Lieut. Capt. etc.) wasn't whipped up in the kitchen, and that Dan/Kyu rank was in some terms. I am not criticizing the purpose for what Kano instituted in his rank system, or those who honor the system and not abuse it as originally intended. Military rank has serious responsibility behind it, different then that of the martial arts propose it to be. Even though there is some mirroring between the two. But, martial arts rank is pretty much given for whatever any reason anyone wants to put behind it. There are places where 10 year old kids have black belts, and worse despite the novelity one guy given his chimp a black belt. Because of this, we are now discussing the martial art ranks worth. Licenses and scrolls are in the same boat, and can be whipped up in the kitchen. You have people calling themselves hanshi, ranchi, soke, dokey, professing in all sorts of ways. And there are those who have this or that scroll, or menyo this or menyo that of medicore skill and questionable origins at the best. Lots of people get star struck by all this taking it all at face value without really stopping to think about it. Then low and behold this gives these guys more reason to continue to bastardize martial arts rank. Concerning the relationship of politics, titles, and rank there is a huge dynamic on a whole new level. For both reasons is why the topic of titles being important or not will always be discussed.

Thanks.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's cool AC...I think people can(and do) call themselves anything they want,it matters not.

I have not seen as many Menkyo claims as I have seen Soke,O Sensei,Hanshi,and other titles that are taken out of context and abused.

I would think that people claiming a license in a Koryu art would be cake to trace back to a Hombu. People claiming their "own" systems are anyone's guess.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Playing games with kids, or telling them to clean thier rooms is not a martial arts course. Why would you even think about giving them rank? IMHO there is no Jr. Black Belt, either you are a black belt or not!
Sure there is a Jr in anything....Jr.

C

chris...

47MartialMan said:
My teacher always practiced what he "preached"......
good enough.
on topic though titles are important to some people not so to others, like myself

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
chris... said:
good enough.
on topic though titles are important to some people not so to others, like myself
For some, esp those opening/running a school, titles are a way/method to bring in more customers-er students.

Latest Discussions