Are these effective SD skills?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rook said:
So you can throw all people the same, regardless of style, training level, size, dimensions, clothing and so forth? The differences aren't minor nuances.
They are minor. I believe you are caught up in the mechanics of the throw, rather than the principles of the throw. Once you understand the principles, adjusting the mechanics is easy enough.

See, our banter here demonstrates that arts you say are static and unrealistic, more specifically you stated Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, is far more alive than you realize.

This is all I am going to say on the subject as I had already vowed to do, but my lack of personal discipline got me back in here. This time I won't say anything further, especially since this thread has lost it's thought provoking appeal.

My advice is, believe what you want. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definately Budo Taijutsu is an alive martial art. Soke continues to show various henka that allow one to continuously apply principles effectively.
I definately do not find Budo Taijutsu to be a stagnate martial art. If you have never trained with Sensei then I suggest that you go and experience it. (it is a major eye opener)

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Stealth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have trained in both MMA and Ninjutsu...
Ninjutsu is VERY effective in real world scenarios. I take it for self defence, and am involved in MMA for fun/sport. Ninjutsu techniques break bones/joints to end the fight quickly, something that cannot be used in sport... But is very effective on the street.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rook said:
So you can throw all people the same, regardless of style, training level, size, dimensions, clothing and so forth? The differences aren't minor nuances.

I have found that dealing with different types of clothing and such from a variety of eras help me to be a bit more broad minded and able to adapt to different situations. The trick is to try to understand the movement, then understand the principles behind the movement as you change from one situation to another.

Armor training may sound silly- unless you have ever gone against someone who is bundled up for a harsh winter. And the idea of hitting someone and them not feeling it is something that anyone facing drunks or others have to deal with. Hakama are hard to move in- but then again so is a lot of fashion. Some clothing is restrictive like armor, and you may have backpacks or other things on you.

And of course I train in normal clothes as well. Some people go through their entire martial arts training in one sort of outfit or another. They probably get used to that and can't think outside the box. Dealing with multiple ways of moving kind of helps you to not have an exclusive mindset to deal only with the uniform you use in the dojo or the ring.

It needs a form of balance.

Latest Discussions