are the same?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hapkido and Hankido are the same? what are the diferences?

Hard to say since there are so many different styles of Hapkido, but Hankido is smoother and more flowing, due to the Aikido influence of Hankido's creater, GM MYONG Jae Nam.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hankido seems to use BIG circles, going by the demo videos out there on the internet. The same is not always the case with hapkido.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hankido seems to use BIG circles, going by the demo videos out there on the internet. The same is not always the case with hapkido.

Hapkido has some big circle movements. I don't know if there are videos online of GM MYONG Jae Nam, but his style from what I remember was very flowing. In fact, the scene I have in my head is of he and his daughter doing a sort of Hapkido dancing routine. I watched that and I attempted to create something similar, a drill to practice counter attack hand techniques, or to do hand technique sparring. It is not true sparring in the sense that some cooperation is required, but everyone I show it to wants to learn it. My original Hapkido teacher studied with GM MYONG Jae Nam (and also GM KWON Tae Man, back in Incheon), so I have some of that in me as well.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hapkido has some big circle movements.

Definitely. It's a rather diverse martial art with all sorts of people with different propensities still using the same hapkido name. As a counter example, we can look at the late GM Bong Soo Han's group. They seem to utilize smaller motion on the whole compared to hankido or even the aikido I practice.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Definitely. It's a rather diverse martial art with all sorts of people with different propensities still using the same hapkido name. As a counter example, we can look at the late GM Bong Soo Han's group. They seem to utilize smaller motion on the whole compared to hankido or even the aikido I practice.

I don't know why, but I tend to think of kicking when I think of GM Han, not so much hand techniques. GM Ji said that GM Han had beautifully smooth kicking techniques. That was his trademark or signature.

Latest Discussions