Are the liberal elites muzzling dissent?

Discussion in 'The Study' started by jks9199, Jun 8, 2014.

1. jks9199

jks9199 Administrator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Interesting piece I read today...
    Watch What You Say, The New Liberal Power Elite Won't Tolerate Dissent

I'd love to hear from academics, especially, about this. I know one academic who is incredibly cautious about their online activities not being identified with their professional persona -- not that I personally would think that anything they do online is less than a credit to them as a person and an academic. But, obviously, anyone else can and should chime in... I've seen signs myself, like the aforementioned cancellations of speakers... Nobody is allowed to challenge or offend anyone else's preconceptions, it seems....

• Like Like x 1
  2. crushing

crushing Grandmaster

Reading the articles, I found that some of the commencement speakers are withdrawing of their own accord when met with protests and petitions. Could it be that speakers are more (overly?) sensitive to such protests and give up their speaking engagement much more easily than speakers of the past?

The loudest voices decrying the cancellations of commencement speakers have been liberals. I am not surprised by some piling on that will occur to gain a political advantage. Such cancellations are antithetical to the liberalism that the US was founded upon. There certainly must be a better term for this anti-liberalism than 'liberal elite.' What is curious, other than Rice, most of the speakers withdrawing due to protests or being 'dis-invited' are liberals who have been accused of insulting much more conservative populations and communities.

3. arnisador

arnisador Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    The rejection of commencement speakers with differing views bothers me. Colleges should welcome people of differing opinions in order to generate debate. It seems to be that it started with students rightfully protesting a couple of outrageous choices--virtual war criminals who would not raise the level of discussion but merely see their own stock rise after having spoken at a major NYC university--but has gotten way out of hand. Condi Rice played a big role in our history--let's hear from her! I'm no fan of Dick Cheney, say, but would welcome giving him the chance to air his views. I do like to see college students politically involved so I view this more as the pendulum having swung too far from "college students don't acre at all about politics" to " college students need to chill out about politics" and I'm hopeful it'll right itself soon. Meanwhile, it's true that many of the would-be speakers are withdrawing rather than having controversy surround them, and there'll always be someone who complains, so it isn't entirely one-sided. Also, college kids are not the "liberal elite".

At least one replacement commencement speaker blasted the crowd for driving away the first choice.

4. jks9199

jks9199 Administrator Staff Member

While several have backed out of commencements or other speaking engagements on their own accord rather than cause a disruption -- isn't that still a form of pushing their opinion out of sight?

5. billc

billc Grandmaster

Like who? Compared to the list in the article...

6. crushing

crushing Grandmaster

Definitely.

7. billc

billc Grandmaster

Colleges Leave Conservatives Out of Commencement Ceremonies - US News

8. arnisador

• Martial Talk Alumni
    It's well-established that liberalism correlates strongly with all measures of education and intelligence. You have to expect college populations to be disproportionately liberal. ("I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." --John Stuart Mill) In addition, a liberal attitude is intrinsically a part of a college's approach to knowledge. The liberal bias is built-in by it being a university in the first place. You can't have depts. of anti-climate-studies and anti-evolution that push forward the envelopes of knowledge; you have to be open to new ideas. To expect a 50-50 liberal/conservative split isn't reasonable.

Colleges should be bringing in speakers with contrary views. Commencement isn't the best time, perhaps--it's for the parents in many ways, and also, sadly, to court potential donors--but in general, this should happen. At a very liberal California college I heard a debate between Al Haig and Bruce Babbit circa 1990. That's what I expect at a college. I'd like to hear from Condi Rice.

• Like Like x 2
  9. billc

billc Grandmaster

Actually, it's not...unless it is a study done by a liberal...

As to liberals and science...

http://thefederalist.com/2014/03/20/why-democrats-are-the-party-of-science/

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  10. arnisador

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Since climate change is real, basing your case on opposition to it is a sandy foundation for an argument. Conservative opposition to evolution and climate change is both predictable and wrong. The claim that a vast conspiracy of greedy or otherwise ill-intentioned scientists is hiding the truth--liberals muzzling dissent--would be hilarious if it weren't actually hampering education of children and action on the environment. Conservatives are attempting to create dissent where it does not exist--most notable with creationism/ID.

• Like Like x 1
  11. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

I think you might find many liberal religious people who strongly believe in creationism. As to hampering education, wouldn't disallowing the teaching of creationism also be hampering education?

12. Rumy73

Rumy73 Black Belt

Tolerance for differing points of view is strained; and frankly, it always has been. I think college is the best time to listen to alternate views. While some high profile cases of overly sensitive liberal agendas in this matter have made it to the press, the problem is all over. I am confident we are not hearing about this on more conservative campuses, because they are not inviting similarly situated figures of the left. Imagine Catholic University having the head of planned parenthood at commencement?

13. ballen0351

ballen0351 Sr. Grandmaster

100% false. There are many people smarter then you and I that disagree with you.

14. crushing

crushing Grandmaster

Do you have a specific creation story in mind? There are many that were dreamed up prior to the great strides we've made in understanding the world around us.

Here are just a few of the documented beliefs in creationism:
    List of creation myths - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

15. ballen0351

And all are just as believable as time+matter+chance=people. However thats a different topic then what JKS posted

16. Tgace

Tgace Grandmaster

I find the "liberal" meme of tolerance and acceptance in stark contrast with the yelling down and insulting of more conservative opinions. It seems to be all about TOLERANCE...except for tolerating things that conflict with your worldview.

Of course many conservatives are intolerant of liberal views, but they don"t have TOLERANCE ACCEPTANCE RESPECT tattooed across their figurative backs for the world to see and admire....walk the talk.....

• Like Like x 1
  17. crushing

crushing Grandmaster

Yes, the Paradox of Tolerance has been brought up a few times recently.

"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice." -Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Unfortunately, intolerance of intolerance is sometimes branded as yelling down and insulting and given false equivalency to regular ol' intolerance.

18. Rumy73

Rumy73 Black Belt

I am intolerant of things, but I exercise that in a measured way.

Since we are talking about this topic, i recall a sad series of events where birthers attempted to shout down Obama.

19. ballen0351

Im not sure you can "shout down" The President of the United States no matter who it is

20. arnisador

• Martial Talk Alumni
    The numbers are much, much lower.

No--no more than if the aether theory, or the caloric theory, or the Eudoxian spheres theory isn't taught. (Generally, they aren't.) But what happens is conservatives pushing for the inclusion of this in science as a scientific theory--which it is not. Teaching creationism as science is simply counterfactual, and that's why it isn't considered proper for a scientific setting (but could in other settings, e.g., philosophy of science).123