Are 99% of CMA's crap?

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Yes and thats one of the main problems in the CMA community. Too many people are unwilling to go to the lab, library, etc and do the hard work it takes to really gain the skill. The "fast food" mentality has taken over and now many of these people who were unwilling to do the work are now teaching. That makes for a bad situation all around.

7sm

You are correct along with Flying crane and mantis.

I think at some point the CMA community must take responsibility to get CMA's back to what they use to be. The almighty dollar and students with just the "how long will it take for me to beat up a group of men" mentality has ruined MA in general.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I also spend a lot of time reading on the net and going to google video to see different clips.
that's actually time well-spent.
it's very important to read up on your art and the lineage and who did what and who added what value to your family's art. We had the second annual CMA tournament this year and students from my school earned a bunch of medals, but unfortunately NONE of them knew what is our lineage, and most of them did not even know who our master is. That's why my school goes over the lineage like every week! ... sad dude!

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the main problem CMAs seem to have today is the training.

Traditional Chinese masters were known for great physical strength and tremendous endurance. Some of this may well be exaduration, but the CMA community seems to have the greatest shortage of people in good physical condition of any of the martial arts communities.

"Back in the day" CMA masters fought early and often - today's CMA people often don't spar very much or very hard and rarely against competent non-CMA stylists. BJJ and Kyokushin karate frequently challenge and recieve challenges from other martial arts and constantly train in being able to beat their representatives. Today's CMAists rarely do.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
It's not the styles or systems, it's the practitioner. If one puts in the work, effort, time, and proper focus, effectiveness won't be a problem. I seem to find, judging from pop culture, that the arts have become equivalent to the 80's soccer mom. We now have the culture of "Karate" mom's. Meaning the arts are focussed for kids and families, meaning fun, not real self defense. Just look at the advertisements for movies, commercials etc..

Latest Discussions