Appreciating British Humor

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Now that Black Adder has been mentioned...what about Mr. Bean? Since Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) was in both Black Adder and Mr. Bean.

I do have to admit I am one of the few that think Mr Bean's Holiday was fun to watch.

I also never tire of watching "Are You Being Served", "Last of the Summer Wine", and "Waiting for God".

There are few U. S. Comedies that I can watch re-runs of an laugh just as hard and when I first saw them.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder if it is largely a matter of not beating it to death that makes British comidies seem to be much funnier. Fawlty Towers had 12(?) episodes, Blackadder 24 or so, Had these been made in America there would have been 24+ per season and they would have ran for several seasons.

I could be wrong but I don't think there are too many British shows, even really popular ones, that ran for hundreds of episodes. There is something to be said about ending a show when its run its course and not milking it for every penny until everyone is sick of it.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if it is largely a matter of not beating it to death that makes British comidies seem to be much funnier. Fawlty Towers had 12(?) episodes, Blackadder 24 or so, Had these been made in America there would have been 24+ per season and they would have ran for several seasons.

I could be wrong but I don't think there are too many British shows, even really popular ones, that ran for hundreds of episodes. There is something to be said about ending a show when its run its course and not milking it for every penny until everyone is sick of it.

Interesting point...Could be. Even the longer running ones (not necessarily comedy) like Dr. Who...at least changes the main character every so often to keep it fresh.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My oldest brother is the one who got me to really start liking British comedy and getting the depths of British humour. For a while I really liked " 'Allo, 'allo" that wonderful WWII era french resistance hero and how almost everything revolved around the famous painting of the "Madonna with the big boobies."
Wonderful stuff.

Those and several others helped me really appreciate "A Fish Called Wanda" which was a wonderful blend of humor from both sides of the pond.
"Oh no! It's K-k-k-ken! C-c-c-c-coming to k-k-k-kill me. How are you going to c-c-c-catch m-m-me K-k-k-ken?"

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My oldest brother is the one who got me to really start liking British comedy and getting the depths of British humour. For a while I really liked " 'Allo, 'allo" that wonderful WWII era french resistance hero and how almost everything revolved around the famous painting of the "Madonna with the big boobies."
Wonderful stuff.

Those and several others helped me really appreciate "A Fish Called Wanda" which was a wonderful blend of humor from both sides of the pond.
"Oh no! It's K-k-k-ken! C-c-c-c-coming to k-k-k-kill me. How are you going to c-c-c-catch m-m-me K-k-k-ken?"

Yes that is a great movie!
icon10.gif

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Loved Blackadder and Fawlty Towers as well as the classic Monty Python... both the Flying Circus and the movies. British humor strikes me as being both the most subtle and raunchiest that I've seen at the same time. Nearly causes a short circuit as my mind tries to work at both the higher and baser levels at the same time.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is my favourite ever sketch from Smack The Pony.. I just love Sally Phillips.. PLEASE watch this it is SOOO funny.. :D

Oooh, and check Russell Brand..
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Ok, just before she said "Chris, are you ready?", I was thinking that she should just leave...

Great find!

Last edited by a moderator:

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to like watching, "Are You Being served" reruns, and of course, Mr. Bean...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
So we can all agree that win it comes to the sitcom making game, the British won?

As for American remakes of British shows, anyone see the US Red Dwarf pilot? Yikes :eek:

I have to agree, Brittish sitcoms are too funny... Benny Hill is another like...

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some of these mentioned are good shows, particularly Monty Python which imho is still funny because it was so avante garde that it remains almost ageless. But I think it is a pity that these old shows are so synonymous with British comedy that the new stuff is overlooked. It is a stereotypical view of British comedy, which is fair enough, I have no axe to grind but it is sort of akin to a Brit saying.. I love all those US cop shows - the way they wear their pastel blue jackets with their rolled-up sleeves and espadrilles with no socks, ooh and the way they all drive white Testarossas, aren't those US cop shows just the coolest.. And which would be to miss all the clever new stuff, CSI and 24 and whatnot... I am certainly not criticising anyone's tastes, not at all, it is just that when I hear Benny Hill mentioned I shiver and my heart sinks..
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course British Stand Up is good and nicely knows how to handle hecklers. :D
[yt]N_8oaimyDpo[/yt]

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:eek: Mess ye not with the acerbic witted, for lo thou shalt regret not keeping thy trap shut! :lol:.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of these mentioned are good shows, particularly Monty Python which imho is still funny because it was so avante garde that it remains almost ageless. But I think it is a pity that these old shows are so synonymous with British comedy that the new stuff is overlooked. It is a stereotypical view of British comedy, which is fair enough, I have no axe to grind but it is sort of akin to a Brit saying.. I love all those US cop shows - the way they wear their pastel blue jackets with their rolled-up sleeves and espadrilles with no socks, ooh and the way they all drive white Testarossas, aren't those US cop shows just the coolest.. And which would be to miss all the clever new stuff, CSI and 24 and whatnot... I am certainly not criticising anyone's tastes, not at all, it is just that when I hear Benny Hill mentioned I shiver and my heart sinks..
Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Believe me, I know there are much more updated Brittish comedy that is at least as good... I guess you could just say that I was kind of reminiscing to when I was a lot younger and able to watch t.v. a bit more often. Now, I just don't really have much time to enjoy much t.v., so I don't get to check out the BBC America channel as much as I'd like.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Believe me, I know there are much more updated Brittish comedy that is at least as good...
Although it was a movie as opposed to a TV series, I really enjoyed the movie HOT FUZZ (2007) starring Simon Pegg, even knowing they spent much of the time spoofing scenes from violent American cop movies.

I also enjoy this movie because you get to visit (modern-day) England while watching it, far cheaper than buying an airline ticket. The accents, the slang, the hotel rooms, the pubs, the countryside, the food…

For the Greater Good!
:)

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu

although it was a movie as opposed to a tv series, i really enjoyed the movie hot fuzz (2007) starring simon pegg, even knowing they spent much of the time spoofing scenes from violent american cop movies.

i also enjoy this movie because you get to visit (modern-day) england while watching it, far cheaper than buying an airline ticket. The accents, the slang, the hotel rooms, the pubs, the countryside, the food…

for the greater good!
:)

Yaaarp.

Latest Discussions