Anyone in the UK heard about this?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The article in the Daily Mail is very sensational. But if it's accurate it's very disturbing. It looks like full-contact no headgear Muay Thai bouts for little children. If accurate, it sounds like a very bad thing. By "very bad" I mean "Promoters and parents should be in jail."

Does anyone have better information?

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have never heard of children that age in the UK fighting without any sort of protection apart from boxing gloves, as the picture in the article seems to imply. If so, it's certainly against all regulations in the WMC, and most likely an unlicensed gym. If they do force, 'allow' or whatever they call it, children to fight in those conditions without protection then yes, it is a horrid practice that should be stopped. I wouldn't take the Daily Mail's word for it though, it seems like a patent case of fearmongering.

Has anyone had first hand experience with anything like this?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is about a film on Channel Four about children fighting shown the other night. It's on the Channel Four website and it can be watched there. It is a very sensationalised view of childrens kickboxing , the film crew were out to make a name for themselves and sadly they found the parents to help them. The parents were the type of parents you find in probably all sports and activities...the ones who never did anything themselves and are determined to make sure their children do just so they can live vicariously through them.
One of the little boys was called Thai, his career path having been chosen before he was born, his father didn't like the rules in the Uk so took him to Thailand to fight.
Someone posted up this link with a comment that it says everything you need to know about 'Baby Fight Club' - for obvious reasons I haven't seen what's on it!
http://www.strictlybabyfightclub.com/

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
God it made me sick, wanted to get that dad in the ring to be honest. Nothing wrong with ma from an early age, I was in judo from early primary school but this just seemed so cras and wrong in that it didn't really seem like it was for the kids' devolpment or benefit - when the mum started layering all the make-up on her little girl and saying - 'don't cry or your make-up will run' I had to terminate the channel!!

paulH

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Reguralry see kids fight when im in Thailand...

nothing wrong with it imo... but ive spent a lot of time in Thailand so to me its usual...

what a lot of people dont realise is that in Thailand the 9 year old fighting might be the main income earner for the family...

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
what a lot of people dont realise is that in Thailand the 9 year old fighting might be the main income earner for the family...

Isn't that sad in and of itself?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That is what I immediately thought!
icon9.gif

paulH

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
its hard for me to say...

ive spent a few years living in thailand... and brught a house there so will be spending many more... its a different culture and kids fighting at bouts is part of that...

the rich are very rich the poor are very poor... is it anymore sad that in countries like the uk and us where companies make massive proffits and the rich earn enough money to pay laywers enough money to ensure they pay very little tax whilst people still live below the poverty line and the minimum wage is hardly enough to afford a decent standard of living

and fighting on pro bouts were there are westeners provides a good income... they come around with a jar at the end asking for tips...

yes i guess its sad that theres that inequality in the society but thats just the world we live in... these fighteres by age of 12 or 13 if they are good enough will be taken to bangkok and possibly go into the fight camps... and if they progress can become a national hero fighting in the kings cup... its their dream... just as i grew up wanting to be a fotballer most people wont make it but the rewards are beyond the realistic expectations of most people...

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying, there's inequality in the UK as well as in Thailand. But the thing is that here we have a bunch of laws and minimum wages and standards that prevent situations like a nine year old being the main earner of a household. That's not to say we don't have inequality, but it's just so much worse in Thailand, and that's sad.

Also, I don't think it would be as sad if a kid was playing football from a young age wanting to be a star, because most of the time, that kid is also going to school, and can do other things with his life if he so chooses. A Thai kid who goes to a Muay Thai camp at age eight is going to be doing that all day for the rest of his working life. Maybe it's just my western-oriented perspective though. :D

paulH

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying, there's inequality in the UK as well as in Thailand. But the thing is that here we have a bunch of laws and minimum wages and standards that prevent situations like a nine year old being the main earner of a household. That's not to say we don't have inequality, but it's just so much worse in Thailand, and that's sad.

Also, I don't think it would be as sad if a kid was playing football from a young age wanting to be a star, because most of the time, that kid is also going to school, and can do other things with his life if he so chooses. A Thai kid who goes to a Muay Thai camp at age eight is going to be doing that all day for the rest of his working life. Maybe it's just my western-oriented perspective though. :D

yeah... it took me a while to understand it but its their culture... you see 13/14 year olds in "training" to become katoeys (ladyboys)... again something that would be a shock to most westeners... but they are just walking around malls and nobody is batting an eyelid... its just normal...

would they be doing it on pro cards if it wasnt for the fact that farrang give the kids the big tips and it breaks the night up so the promoter has to pay less pro adults?...

Latest Discussions