Anyone Else on the Atkin's Diet???????

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was any martial artists out there who are on the Atkin's Diet...
if so, has it effected your energy level while training?
How has it worked for you?

thanks
Your
Brother
John

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Brother John
I was just wondering if there was any martial artists out there who are on the Atkin's Diet...
if so, has it effected your energy level while training?
How has it worked for you?

thanks
Your
Brother
John
Atkins diet is one of the worst things if you are active.

There is really nothing healthy about ketosis, especially for active people.

For inactive people, it works fine. You do lose weight. If you do the diet wrong as in consuming too much red meat, you'll lose weight at the expense of unhealthy cholesterol levels and higher blood pressure. Not to mention all that saturated fat. Saturated fat + bad cholesterol = heart attack at age 40.

The brain needs glucose. Your body in general uses carbs as its first energy source. Technically speaking, you will lose weight with the Atkins diet. But for active people, you do need carbs or you will feel somewhat low on energy. You'll feel a bit sluggish. Wonder why no athlete, professional or amateur, or anyone in a group that does a lot of work (such as Ranger or SF training)... None of them even consider the Atkins diet. Not only because that they burn a lot of calories during training, but without carbs, there's a risk it will hinder performance.

For people on the diet, you do get used to the slump in energy. But that's if you're inactive.

It all depends on your type of training. I take in 6000+ calories daily except on Sunday where I don't train. I've had a son that tried the keto diet, he lost 15 pounds, got sick of it with its limited choices.

A lot of bodybuilders have keto diets when they're cutting. But that's them. Athletic performance isn't an issue for most of them. In the martial arts, performance is what matters, not aesthetics.

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
well, I don't know. I know four people on it, all have lost substantial weight. All with no side effects and no hunger. One of them is a very active catchwrestler, hasn't slowed him down at all. Matter of fact he is moving better than ever. One is my wife who has lost 24lbs in three weeks and is very happy with the diet, the way she feels and the weight she has lost.
I have researched the philosopy behind the Paleo diets which include the Atkins diet and they have some sound points.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
There have been studies conducted. People lose weight, but the weight loss is acheived in the same manner which chemotherapy patients lose weight. (Toxic shock) That's just what the wacky loons in lab coats with PHD's say though.

M

MartialArtist

The question is whether one doesn't lose weight. Weight loss does happen, and in a much more effective way than low-calorie diets. That's not the problem though.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have several friends of mine that are on or were on the Atkins diet, and have to say I have heard nothing bad yet. I'll just repeat what my friends have told me.

Bill says he has tons of energy. He's still 300 pounds, and moves great! He used to not sleep well and would wake at the drop of a pin. He now sleeps great, dreams and remembers them. Oh, and has commented that he doesn't feel bloated.

Kelly was on anti depressants, slept way too much and had no energy until she went on the diet. She stopped taking the pills and says she hasn't felt this good since she was 13. She attribs the way she feels to the diet. Oh, and she used to be really cranky before the diet.

Tommy has (MS) and has lost 25 pounds so far. He is always tired because of the MS, but never complains about being hungery, and is happy with the diet. Tommy also regulary goes of the diet on friday and returns to it on monday.

That was just a little info for those interested. BTW, Kelly is an RN, and her husband is a licensed physical therapist. Each have tried different diets and found this works for them. For me it's always been will power.....

No more Krispy Kream donuts! Donuts bad.... yeah right.

Hm, I wonder what this diet would do to my 115 pound body?..........

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was an article recently that did indicate some positives about it in certain cases.

Cant recall where I saw it though. :confused:

A

andurilking2

i have discovered this brand new diet that no one has ever heard of before (its called eat less and exersize more!) dont eat ten pieces of pizza and half a dozen wings along with your 6 pack every night, try to eat healthier foods (prefferably the ones not fried in grease and dripping with saturated fat) and go to the gym more often or swim or something
For inactive people, it works fine. You do lose weight. If you do the diet wrong as in consuming too much red meat, you'll lose weight at the expense of unhealthy cholesterol levels and higher blood pressure. Not to mention all that saturated fat. Saturated fat + bad cholesterol = heart attack at age 40.
-or 12
:eek:

theres something wrong with a diet that says you can eat 20 pounds of bacon a day and expect to be healthy

A

andurilking2

my uncle and very close friend and training partner (who is a little bit over weight;) ) went on the atkins diet for a few weeks and it worked fine he had more energy lost like 20 pounds and had no side effects, then he started getting chest pains, and on that side of the familly heart attacks seem to happen at a young age anyway, so he decided to go get it looked at and it turns out his arteries were beginning to becoome clogged (he had to get 2 balloons) and he couldn't train for 6 mo.s

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
The atkins diet does not advocate eating 20 pounds of bacon a day, or even a pound for that matter. Read the latest book before making comments like that. It is not as most people believe, a low carb, high fat diet. It is a low carb, low sugars, sensible fat diet. If you eat something cooked in lard every day, yes, you will have high colesterol. The diet has also never negatively afftected anyone's energy level that I am aware of. I've been on it and the only time my energy level is effected is when I fall off the bandwagon.

M

MountainSage

I know four people that are a some stage of the Atkin's diet, none have show any significant energy loss in everyday life, but in heavy sparring they quickly lose energy. One guy went on the diet and helped eliminate his sugar diabetic condition. Being from a family of nurses, I've had the opportunity to discuss this diet with doctors and a few nutritionists adn their general thoughts are much the same have been stated here; Ketosis at any level is not a good idea, Stored carbs are critical for highly active people, the eat less and exersise more diet is the best overall. There was an article is a nursing magazine, can remember which one, yet I believe the source was one of the major medical schools, that compare Atkins, diabetic, and another diet and came to the conclusion after a 10 or 15 year study that there was no negative health risks, yet the same result coould be achieve with a sensible diet and exercise. I am paraphrasing not quoting.

Mountain Sage

K

kenpo12

I was on the Atkins diet for awhile, and in a way I still am on the diet. The biggest problem is people believe what they see on TV and in magazines and have never read Dr. Atkins books so they really don't know what the diet is about. The little to no carbs part of the diet is only at the beggining stages of the diet, but once you have you metabolism moving you begin to introduce more carbs back into your diet but you have to do it in moderation. I lost 12 lbs (which was all I needed to lose) and have kept it off. I now eat SOME bread. and SOME rice, and I eat veggies and fruit too. If you think about it, humans don't need to eat things like bread and pasta, we made those foods up, there is no noodle plant, or bread tree. The diet is good but don't just do what what you think the diet is, you really need to read Dr. Atkins book.

Just my 2 cents,

Matt

L

Lucy Rhombus

I just wrote an article on how serious athletes can go low-carb for Physical magazine. Here are some of the highlights:

Foods that are high on the glycemic index cause blood sugar to rise rapidly, and insulin is released to help use the sugar as energy or store the excess as fat. Emerging research shows that the rapid rise of insulin caused by high GI foods such as refined carbs increases the storage of fat. "When you have a high insulin, your body's not using body fat as a source of fuel," explains Molly Kimball, RD, a sports nutritionist for Ocshner Clinic's Elmwood Fitness Center in New Orleans. In addition, these foods cause blood sugar to spike and then crash, leaving you ravenous and contributing to overeating. That's one reason that low-carb proponents focus on protein and fat, which keep you fuller longer.

This is all great for the average person. But what about serious lifters and other athletes, who rely on carbs for energy?

You can still go low-carb, with some modifications to address your athletic lifestyle. For example, you can switch from high glycemic carbs to complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, which don't cause blood sugar levels to rise as rapidly.

Many athletes rely on simple carbs before exercising for a quick burst of energy. But this can be a mistake. "In short order, your insulin goes up, it takes the glucose out of your blood stream, and then your blood sugar drops while you're trying to exercise," says Susan Kleiner, Ph.D., RD, author of Power Eating. This can lead to fatigue just when you need energy. Kleiner suggests eating low glycemic index carbs such as whole grains before exercising to give you energy while keeping blood sugar levels relatively stable. For more staying power, combine the carb with a protein like peanut butter or turkey.

During the recovery period, on the other hand, you need quick-acting carbs. In that window right after you exercise, the body tends not to store excess calories as fat, but uses it to build muscle glycogen and to help muscles grow. So if you want to eat a food high on the glycemic index like a smoothie or a candy bar, within 15 to 20 minutes of a workout is the time to do it.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was 230 lb 12 weeks ago. I am 196 lb now. I felt the energy slump, but got over it within a few weeks. If you think about blood sugar levels and insulin production, a low carb, or modified low carb diet helps control the hunger pangs and energy spikes. Remember not all Carbs are good carbs, and the down side of the carb / blood sugar spike is a lack of energy and dependence on more carbs or sugars.

I read an article in the AARP Journal debunking the food pyramid, which even MD's are saying was a major error. They would not go so far as to support Atkins, but did recommend a limited carb, limited sugar diet in general.

Studies at Duke University and most recently the New England Journal of Medicine (I think NEJM - I heard about this one on PBS) support a low-carb diet.

What I really had a hard time with was the pre-packaged sugar/carb laden food. Fries with your burger, the extra bread in a big Mac etc.

I know it worked for me and now I eat much more reasonably, and it appears I can still hit hard and have the energy to teach 3 classes / night after my full-time job ends at 5:00.

M

MartialArtist

Good carbs are complex carbs. Simple carbs are the worst but you still need some.

http://www.gsdl.com/assessments/finddisease/depression/glucose_insulin.html

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C10/C10Links/mills.edu/RESEARCH/FUTURES/JOHNB/pathways/801.html - The article gives some information on ketones

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/DietDilemma.htm

The Atkins Diet Dilemma : These diets really make you lose weight, at what cost to our health?

By: Mark J. Occhipinti, M.S., Ph.D.,N.D. [candidate]

"All Human illnesses and diseases can be traced to either nutrient deficienciesor excesses in the human body."
Dr. Victor G. Rocine 1930

Heavy cream, whole milk, fried eggs, bacon, pork rinds, beef, cheese, and butter -- all these contribute to long-term obesity, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, colon cancer, reproductive cancers, prostate enlargement, auto-immune diseases, and other diseases. [1]

These types of diets have been revived lately, being marketed as a "miracle" diet and "healthy foods". Nothing could be further from the truth. Animal products contain residual amounts of anti-biotics [what the industry refers to as "Bio-security"]. This term is further explained as the levels of drugs "they" [the meat, dairy, and poultry industry] consider safe levels. There are also residual amounts of anabolic and androgenic steroids within the fat and muscle of the animals and dairy products. [2,25,26,31]

These diets are money-making ploys if there ever was one! Why? Because these diets pray on the desperate individuals that are looking for and guaranteed quick weight loss and make no mention about the potential serious health side-effects of this type of eating regime. Unfortunately, Americans seem to be unaware that they are consuming the very thing they are trying to lose-fat, and lots of it.

There is no doubt that the popular "Atkins Diet", as well as other high protein, high fat, low carbohydrate diets are popular. These diets make up several of the NY Times best seller list.

These diet plans are crafted to appeal to the public's need for shortcuts, and results in the first week.
Dr. Atkins informs his patients and readers that carbohydrates (which include fresh fruits and vegetables, fiber and in some cases essential fatty acids- beans, nuts and oils-flaxseed, canola, and pumpkin for example) are making them fat. At the same time he generous amounts of protein and fat will keep them thin.

He as well as others neglect to note that having animal fats coursing through our blood makes the blood fat [lypemia], which stays that way for up to four hours. During this time fats actually cover the surface, actually preventing insulin from penetrating the cell to bring any glucose molecules present inside the cell. [3]

Furthermore a diet high in animal fats contain the very pro- inflammatory fat [Arachidonic acid] that causes the release of a particular type of hormone that causes inflammatory conditions within the body [arthritis, psoriasis, Crohn's disease, to name just a few]. These diets also intensify the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis, PMS and other auto-immune diseases and disorders. [4]

Dr. Atkins insists that all carbohydrates are responsible for high cholesterol levels, obesity and other health problems. He fails miserably to note that there is a difference between refined, beached flours, and refined sugars and whole grains, and lower glycemic index carbohydrates. Atkins further neglects to note that cholesterol only occurs in animal products, and many carbohydrate foods are low in fat, devoid of cholesterol and contain fiber. Atkins' book sales have risen, as have cattle, egg, dairy, pig and poultry prices. Pork rinds, the one and only fried snack the Atkins' diet permits, have climbed in popularity by more than 15% in one year. [5]

The numbers of those who have jumped on the high-protein, high-fat kick are staggering, and portend of disastrous health consequences in these individuals in their future. It is a known fact that high protein intake can damage the kidneys and leach calcium from the bones. [6,7,32]

The lack of fiber disrupts the digestive tract, leading to constipation as water is pulled from the colon to aid the kidneys in diluting the ammonia load that results in the breakdown of animal proteins in the body. [8,27,28]

George Blackburn, director of the Center for the Study of Nutrition and Medicine at Boston's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center as researched high-protein diets over the years. He points out that there are many annoyingly common side effects: bad breath, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, irritability and lightheadedness. [29] In addition, and somehow conveniently omitted is the fact that when carbohydrates are limited or severely restricted as in the Atkins's diet muscle mass is digested first, resulting in the quick weight losses that are typically noted in the early stages of the diet.

This occurs in a process known as "gluco-neo-genesis" [the making of new glucose from storage sites-in this case muscle [skeletal, smooth and even cardiac muscle] as well as liver stores of glycogen. You see the brain "eats first", in other words, the brain requires a continual supply of carbohydrates [in the form of glucose or blood sugar] and oxygen. If this fuel is restricted in the diet [low carbohydrate intake] the brain will look for the easiest source; in this case glycogen stores within the muscle.

As muscle is broken down to liberate glucose, water is also liberated to be excreted and creating a quick and very exciting weight loss on the scale for the unsuspecting, trusting dieter. This creates a cascade of events, including a loss of lean body mass [muscle], a reduction in BMR [basal metabolic rate], or the number of calories your body burns throughout a 24 hour period to maintain homeostasis [balance]. As the muscle is lost, strength is lost with it, as well as the body's ability to burn calories [primarily from fat] while you are sleeping, working etc. The auto-immune system is depressed as the body is placed under this great "unnatural stress" of consuming proteins at 40-50 percent more than we need, or can properly digest and utilize. [10, 11]

Dr. Atkins has managed to ignore the many population studies, notably the Framingham Heart Study, which has demonstrated that diets high in meat and saturated fat increase risks for heart disease, colon cancer, prostate cancer, diabetes, hypertension, osteoporosis, obesity, and a shortened lifespan. [12] He also ignores the fact that the planet's thinnest and healthiest humans in the world live in Asia and the Pacific Rim, where rice, noodles and other high-carbohydrate foods make up 70 percent of the daily diet. [13]

For the naysayers and supporters of the Atkins' diet that are quick to claim genetics play a role in the Asians ability to eat this way and not become obese are not staying up to date on the following. When Asians abandon their traditional diets that are high in carbohydrates and fiber and low in fat for foods for the traditional western diet high in protein and fat, obesity and degenerative diseases becomes commonplace. Research studies show that, on average, people switching to a vegetarian diet lose an average of 10% of their body weight. [14]

Indeed, without limiting calories at all, a vegan diet (free of all animal products) trims about one pound per week, and that's even without getting beneficial exercise and without dodging spaghetti, rice, bread. Imagine if these same individuals ate these same types of foods in as unrefined a state as possible and added exercise.

Atkins and the other peddlers of high protein, low carbohydrate diet would never consider suggesting a vegetarian diet in light of the research of Dean Ornish [Reversing Heart Disease], John MacDougall [The MacDougall Plan] and others. How do these individuals and their toxic diets explain the fact that heart attacks are the most common form of death in the United States, and yet the risk of heart attack for a man consuming a non-meat diet is cut dramatically? [15] Atkins has noting to say about vegetarians having one-third the incidence of colon cancer as meat-eaters? [16]

The American Dietetic Association has called the Atkins Diet "a nightmare," or that thousands of doctors and dietitians are speaking out against this irresponsible medicine. The work of Michael Klapper, M.D. [Diet for all Reasons], and T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D. [The China-Oxford-Cornell Study] have found conclusively that diets high in protein and animal fat are just plain deadly. [17,30]

Oh, by the way, the Atkins Diet only works when dieters also cut calories. The regimen is a throwback to old low-calorie diets of the 1970s and early 80's [Cambridge Diet, Medifast Diet, etc.]. They all promised great weight loss, but delivered only temporary weight loss, and long term health consequences.

Those who are serious about taking off pounds, keeping them off and improving overall health should know that carbohydrates actually boost overall metabolism. Foods rich in complex carbohydrates, such as brown rice, pasta's [artichoke, spinach, whole wheat, corn, tomato, spelt, barley flours to name a few], fruits, vegetables and beans, nuts, help the thyroid gland burn calories more efficiently.
The adrenal glands are not over-taxed, which calm the Thymus gland, and prevents the lymphatic system from becoming clogged and sluggish. The pancreas works better to maintain a stable blood sugar level, and the colon moves waste matter along its merry way and out.

We as Americans have to take responsibility for ourselves and think of what we are reading and being told. Many of these books use the Inuit Eskimo's as examples of those individuals who consume a high protein, high fat diet as the shinning example of how the body can thrive in a constant state of ketosis [metabolic acidosis]. Again these authors fail to note that thousands of years of evolution are in place with this race, not to mention the health problems these people endure.

We can live without bogus and potentially dangerous diet plans to lose weight and stay healthy. Following a good, old-fashioned common sense eating lifestyle of keeping fat and cholesterol low [not more than 20 percent of the total calories daily from fat], a diet of fresh fiber-rich foods. Teaching people to eat more in line with the Mediterranean or Asian food pyramid, leaning more about vegetarian foods, and never fear eating good quality unrefined carbohydrates again. This will lead to better health, and less of a fixation about foods and hopefully less stress at least in this part of our life.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
my dad was on it for a week and he had to go to the doctor cause he got real sick from all that protein in the meat so just say no

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i haven't tried it myself but several people that i know did.
they lost about 30 pounds rapidly, then gained it all back!!
Problem is that they were keeping up a eating habit that was too extreme for them to maintain long term.

T

tkdcanada

I agree with stickarts, I don't think it's feasible to make any changes that you can't maintain for a lifetime. My husband just lost about 30 lbs in the last two months just by limiting his carbs, eating a lot more fruits and vegetable and using V8 and non-fat yogurt as fillers. Meat intake is still the same. His diet is balanced, not too severe, easy to maintain. His energy level has increased. I began to follow his lead and the pounds started coming off.

E

Elfan

I feel the premise of the diet is fundamentally flawed. To loose weight one must consume fewer calories than you expend on a consistent basis. It really is that simply. Neither carbohydrates, fat, or protein magically make you fat even with a calorie deficit, nor do they magically make you loose weight with a calorie surplus. Diets that rely on gimmicks and odd foods such as the Atkins diet work because a) you get sick of the limited food choice and loose weight or b) you start calorie counting at the same time and you loose weight from that.

Latest Discussions