Any thoughts on a short clip of me shadow boxing?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just uploading to ask what you guys think. I don't think I have posted a video of myself like this before.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your structure is off a bit. In theory you are punching like you are going to hit something. So even though you are hitting air your punches still need to genarate power properly.

Where in your case your body moves then your arm moves it all looks disconnected from each other.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
drop bear said it right. Shadow boxing can really improve twitch. But everything has to be controlled and loaded. What I saw was loose beginning to end and not much return.
But it is a start; keep it up. Review shadow boxing from pro fighters and I think you will better understand what we are saying.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your structure is off a bit. In theory you are punching like you are going to hit something. So even though you are hitting air your punches still need to genarate power properly.

Where in your case your body moves then your arm moves it all looks disconnected from each other.
My thoughts are along the lines of these statements. But I would expand a little more.

When I shadow box, there's no difference between me shadow boxing and me actually trying to do the same combos in a real fight. My shadow boxing movement and strikes = my fighting moves in strikes.

I see open hands, and other movement that make me question if you could or would actually do those same movements in a fight. I don't know how other people train shadow boxing, but for me, anything you see me do in shadow boxing is something that you'll see me pull off in in sparing or competitive fighting.

My personal opinion about shadow boxing is that people often try to do too much in the beginning, Start with one punch shadow box your jabs, or shadow box a 3 hit combo. Start small and build upon, that. Speed is important but not that important in comparison to getting other things in order. Once you have to "other things" then you can increase the speed when shadow boxing. For example, once I get my combo working and everything is connecting, then I can start to speed things up in shadow boxing.

This is an example of me shadow boxing. I will work this technique out every day until I can go left and go right. The shaking of my arms is not habit. I'm naturally stiff in the shoulders so I'm always trying to remind myself to relax more. I often use shadow boxing to figure out things out and to figure out which combos can lead into other strikes

The speed that you do shadow boxing will vary depending on the focus of the training.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suggest you work on the fundamentals of your structure, footwork, and punching. Your movement appears to be moving for the sake of moving and no real understanding of the intent of it. Your footwork, body movement, weight distribution, striking movement all need to be done in coordination with a purpose. Your shoulder needs to cover your jaw when striking and your punches need to retract straight back to guard your head. This is going to sound harsh but I say it with no ill intent just honest opinion...while I appreciate your willingness to put yourself out for criticism and hopefully help I am going to be honest...I can not lie with this. Your fundamentals suck. That said, mine and everyone else's sucked just as bad if not worse when first starting as well. You just need to know what to work on. If you don't have a coach view a few pros shadow boxing on youtube and emulate them. Video yourself and compare your moves to theirs. Work hard, be honest with your self evaluation and you'll get better. Oh and get a good coach.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is going to sound harsh but I say it with no ill intent just honest opinion...while I appreciate your willingness to put yourself out for criticism and hopefully help I am going to be honest...I can not lie with this. Your fundamentals suck.
Damn that is harsh lol.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Damn that is harsh lol.

Blunt, maybe.

What Danny said can be summarized in fewer words.

"Stop hopping around like a monkey". So much wasted energy, you can see it drifting away above him.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. The way I am moving about in the video is a very relaxed form of myself; I sacrifice power, and technique, by aiming to relax my muscles as much as possible regardless of whether I need to use them or not. It's why my hands don't shape into fists, and why my arms look more like dangling ropes than anything else. I will post another video emphasising more on technique, and I hope you guys can provide some more of this great feedback and constructive criticism.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The way I am moving about in the video is a very relaxed form of myself; I sacrifice power, and technique, by aiming to relax my muscles as much as possible regardless of whether I need to use them or not. It's why my hands don't shape into fists, and why my arms look more like dangling ropes than anything else.
Don't sacrifice technique. It's fine to be relaxed but you have to be relax within the techniques that you are using. If being relaxed is the goal then train relaxation for the movement that you need to use. You can still make a fist while being relaxed. It's difficult but it's possible. The key is how you squeeze the fist. If that's too hard for you then make but don't squeeze all the way until the end of the punch. If you use open hand techniques then keep your hands open for those specific techniques.

If you need to get "loose" then do it before you throw your technique. Shake your arms first then do whatever you have to do first to relax, then get into the ready position.

Here's how I always start with shadow boxing.
1. Always begin with fundamentals. Jabs only, hooks only, upper cuts only, etc (be sure to add simple movement. forward and backwards movement only)
2. Do 2 combo punches. Mix up what you did in #1 but only use 2 punches. (and simple movement)
3. Do 3 Combo punches. Mix up what you did in # 1 but only use 3 punches (and simple movement.)App

After you get a couple of rounds then repeat #1 but now add one more movement. So instead of only moving forward and backwards add an angle or side step then repeat the process again with the new movement.

For you I probably wouldn't recommend more than 2 combos and forward and backwards movement. I would just drill those for the next month or 2 until they flow like water. Be sure to visualize punching someone who is standing in a fighting guard. You need to be able to visualize how that looks. A good trick that I use is to video myself throwing some basic punches. Don't do anything crazy in the videos. Keep it simple, One or 2 jabs with simple movement. The watch that video over and over until you can visualize it. Then once those movements are burned into your mind. Then use those movement to help you visualize an imaginary opponent when shadow boxing. This will help you visualize punches coming in.

When you shadow box, don't think of your punches always landing. Visualize missing punches, and punches landing on the guard. There's a lot that can go into how you shadow box which is why it's always good to start small and then work your way up. If you try to move through it too fast then you'll end up visualizing some unrealistic stuff that will get you knocked out in real life. Keeping things simple for a while keeps things from turning into a fantasy scenario.

Most important. Don't worry about shadow boxing looking fancy like what you see professionals do. That's not what it's about. The reason why theirs look fancy is because they drilled the basics until it flows like water. The more you do something the flawless the movement becomes. So start simple, stay simple, and slowly build.

It'll get boring form time to time, but have patience and work the techniques. The video of me shadow boxing is a sample of how to keep things simple and how to slowly build. I can do more than that, but sometimes training is about working the boring basics and squeezing everything you can out of basics.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. The way I am moving about in the video is a very relaxed form of myself; I sacrifice power, and technique, by aiming to relax my muscles as much as possible regardless of whether I need to use them or not. It's why my hands don't shape into fists, and why my arms look more like dangling ropes than anything else. I will post another video emphasising more on technique, and I hope you guys can provide some more of this great feedback and constructive criticism.

Great attitude to have concerning constructive criticism, Ivan, good for you.

Relax and have a purpose to your shadow boxing, forget about hand speed for now. And learn to throw a lead hand hook.

Go gettum', kid!

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score

To help with generating power when shadowboxing, I use weights (currently 5 kg ones)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To help with generating power when shadowboxing, I use weights (currently 5 kg ones)
yea, you can over do that and change the punch mechanics to much resisting the gravitational effects

the power of a punch comes primerily from speed and transfere of body weight, the actual strengh of the muscles is less important other than it helps develop speed

im not saying 5 kg is to much, just that there is a point quite low in weight terms where it can be

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yea, you can over do that and change the punch mechanics to much resisting the gravitational effects

the power of a punch comes primerily from speed and transfere of body weight, the actual strengh of the muscles is less important other than it helps develop speed
Yes, I understand that, but it can also help develop punching power. If you combine both then shadowboxing with weights is much more effective then without.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I understand that, but it can also help develop punching power. If you combine both then shadowboxing with weights is much more effective then without.
but shadow boxing is not good for developing punchibg power at all, doing it with weights doesnt therefore help much

hit things

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you shadow box with weights, it does help.
helps? it marginaly improves something that isnt very good in the first place

particularly it removes the whole timing ellement of firing musclss in the exact sequence to develop power, you just end up moving your arm quickly, which isnt with out benifit just not much of one when compared to actually hitting things

Latest Discussions